SMART MIRROR ideas welcome!

cluelessgenius

soo circumstances lead to me now making a smart mirror since i needed a new mirror in my bathroom anyway and buying a boring one seemed well...boring

now i almost have it all together.

pi is running windows iot (since i really dont need the gpu for a static overlay of data).

display is a 22" 1680x1050 i got used for 10 bucks. already pulled it apart and made sure it still works.

so thats all running now.

the 2-way mirror also finally arrived.

and the frame ill start building this saturday.

now for the software. this is really not that hard to write and so allows me to play around with alot of cool things to show on my mirror. basically a playground project.

so right now im gathering what would be cool to display and what would make sense and what wouldnt.

i thought id post my list of things and thoughts and then maybe some of you guys have some creative input on how to expand further or maybe on why this or that should / shouldnt be on there

ill be splitting it into different modules:

CLOCK

well yeah exactly that date and time i have yet to figure something more to include with it

WEATHER

- general temp / humidity / rain / cloudyness for the day overall

- a graph listing the hours of the day and hourly values for my hometown including sunrise/sunset times, temps, rain and so on

- a list of weather predictions for the coming week for my hometown as well as my parents town

- alerts regarding emergency announcements / catastrophies and so on provided by the government (things like them warning people not to go intothe forests because some storm knocked over trees and the cleanup crew didnt have time yet and stuff like that)

CALENDER

- syncs with google calendar

- showing national holidays

- general overview of the month

- appointments for todays in order with

- weather for the location of the appointment taking into account even the time of day it takes place

- drive time to the appointment from my house and from the previous appointment

- overview of appointments for the rest of the week

SLEEP DATA

- use "sleep as android" (not sure if through backup csv or intent api and native app)

- display graph of REM cycles / noises levels / activity through the night 

- maybe include heart rate? (not sure if i wanna sleep with a fitbit on)

- list general data for the past nights for comparison

SOCIAL

- new unread emails / header / title ()dont really wanna read the whole thing on the mirror

- new whatsapp messages (might be tricky to come by without re-authenticating every 5 minutes)

- news / google feed ? could be interesting if i got enough screen real estate left

yeah so thats were im at. anyone else some ideas?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

That's really all you need, it'd try and not put too much stuff on the smart mirror.

You could try and include voice controls via either Amazon Alexa or the Google Assistant. Or do that yourself as well, that could be quite the project

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

13 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

That's really all you need, it'd try and not put too much stuff on the smart mirror.

You could try and include voice controls via either Amazon Alexa or the Google Assistant. Or do that yourself as well, that could be quite the project

well yeah i dont wanna clutter it but i thought if i arranged cleverly enough or maybe in exchange of something else something might make more sense.

im not and i dont plan on using alexa and te google assistant well i dont use frequently. also i dont see what i would use voice commands for on the mirror and then both my phone and mirror would pick up the command and how am i gonna give commans whilst brushing my teeth anyway :D no really i dont think ill have voice control on there. i dont see the benefit i can just have alll the data on there in the first place

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Maybe like a today's weather function?

On 2/14/2019 at 2:47 PM, cluelessgenius said:

WEATHER

- general temp / humidity / rain / cloudyness for the day overall

- a graph listing the hours of the day and hourly values for my hometown including sunrise/sunset times, temps, rain and so on

3 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

Ooo, skimmed over that part somehow lol.

maybe integrate google home or alexa?

13 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Ooo, skimmed over that part somehow lol.

maybe integrate google home or alexa?

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

m not and i dont plan on using alexa and te google assistant well i dont use frequently. also i dont see what i would use voice commands for on the mirror and then both my phone and mirror would pick up the command and how am i gonna give commans whilst brushing my teeth anyway :D no really i dont think ill have voice control on there. i dont see the benefit i can just have alll the data on there in the first place

somebody got a reading deficiency :D 

no but really what would you have google do whilst in the bathroom ?

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

Play music...

Two minute timer.

Read the weather/notifications for you.

27 minutes ago, tryingmybest said:

Play music...

Two minute timer.

Read the weather/notifications for you.

im not sure yet if i want speakers on there. and if so i feel like it would need real life buttons or something because if you raise the volume using voice commands then now it cant hear you trying to lower the volumen via voice commands

do people do that ? like i know noone who actually counts the time how long they are brushing their teeth which is what im assuming youre suggesting

reading the weather when i already have it right there seems pointless. also i find googles voice to be anoying. she just isnt on point enough. she will talk for a full minute telling you to turn left. same with the weather she will say the temperature and then show you a table with values for the reast of the week or something like the current temp are literally 2 digits i could have read myself which wouldve been faster and i wouldnt have to hear her annoying voice ramble on forever.....ok im going into a rant here sorry anyway lets say lets say i dont like googles assistant all that much. voice command in general i find interesting for exmaple in the car where you can answer texts by voice and call people and navigate somewhere without typing it all up or even looking down from the street.....they need to work on fast responses. maybe a no bullshit mode where she is just straight to the point? idk

11 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

and if so i feel like it would need real life buttons

IP54 waterproof touch screen mirror LCDs. problem solved.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

19 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

Sorry again lmao.

was skimming since I was in English class ?

On 2/16/2019 at 5:48 AM, reniat said:

IP54 waterproof touch screen mirror LCDs. problem solved.

right and have siinger smears all over the mirror all the time. i thought about a touch function its just nbot practical

On 2/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, Bajantechnician said:

Sorry again lmao.

chill no need to apologize. happens :D

On 2/16/2019 at 11:58 AM, Bajantechnician said:

Sorry again lmao.

Irony 10000

• 7 months later...

This is an old thread... how's the project along?

Have you look into MagicMirror for software? there's so many plugins already, no need to develop everything from scratch.

Just started thinking about doing one and found your thread ... :)

NZXT H440 | i7 8700K @ 3.7GHz | Asus TUF Z370 | (4x8) 32GB | GTX 1080Ti | 1x Asus ROG Swift PG349Q + 2x Dell S2417DG | SSD NVMe (960+256) + HHD Barracuda 2Tb
AudioEngine D1 | Aune X7s | AudioEngine A5+ | HD 6xx | PC 37X | Z60 7.1 | Hart Audio cable set | G502 | G915 TKL

11 hours ago, balexandre said:

This is an old thread... how's the project along?

Have you look into MagicMirror for software? there's so many plugins already, no need to develop everything from scratch.

Just started thinking about doing one and found your thread ... :)

oh yeah i never did post the results i guess.

well here you go

before anything i did a simple 3d model with tinkercad just to get the dimension and all the measruments. the following those values i built a wooden frame with a thin wooden cover plate that i painted as black as i could on the mirror facing side and cut out where the monitor should go. in my case i took the horizontal middle of my mirror quare and for the vertical i made sure the distance from the top was just as long as the distance on each side so mine is not in the dead center but a bit more up.

i taped the the bezel on the screen black and also taped the shit out of the psu and controller board as you can see. just cutting out some slits for cables. 

then i screwed in some crossbars to keep the mirror from falling back. in the front its held by the mirror glas itself later.

i think that one is a 23" screen i believe? maybe 22"? not sure anymore.

20190302_134953.thumb.jpg.b156bb9712dc75a4ff7349f24d15a9af.jpg

then another cover plate for the shelf side. making sure its as thick as the black cover plate + the mirror glass so its all level and there no edge there. the mirror glas i ordered from some german vendor online. not gonna lie, pretty expensive. mine is 8mm thick 69x69cm one way mirror glass and cost about 100 bucks. but they are cheaper if you get a standard size but since i had my 3d model i wanted to stay true to i just went for it and ordered my own size.

some people do it with pexi but real glass is just smoother and gives you a better reflection espcially for bigger sizes.

for hardware i have a pi 3 b+ running some webkiosk os i found online cant remember which one right now. and then i fine tuned it soit boots up as fast as possible. since i got no constant power in my bathroom. its all linked to the light switch so it reboots everytime you flip the switch. not ideal bot what are you gonna do. so the pi is only a webkiosk showing a local webpage.

for the page i run magicmirror on a surface pro 3. no particular reason other than that i have that thing running 24/7 anyway as my home server so i host the magic mirror page on there and just view it on the pi. i had also hoped that would make booting faster but im not so sure anymore.

20190327_004408.thumb.jpg.619890d837e834de88086bea454c0820.jpg

mounted some shelfs to the side panel and glued the glass to the blacked out wooden panel with some heavy duty construction tape. real strong stuff on smooth surfaces. but i guess the wood still wasnt smooth anough after all that sanding because my biggest fear came true and within 2 weeks or so the glass later fell off the frame and onto a little hair wax aluminium can i had standing underneath it. luckily nothing broke but the can got crushed pretty bad . so then i didnt want to take any chances and put oon 4 metall brackets in each corner. doesnt look as clean as before but at least i dont need to worry anymore.

20190330_190305.thumb.jpg.63ca4939f0ac970c4613b91e5e540f2c.jpg

taped a led strip around the outside of the frame and and didnt really anticipate how bright it was gonna be. its now my only light source in the bathroom since you dont realy notice wether or not the ceiling is on anyway. so i just unscrwed that bulb slighlty and only use the mirror now.

20190429_172958.thumb.jpg.5c6d207a7fd9673833f7d9dc50d404c0.jpg

the screen couldve been a bit brighter for my taste but for 5 bucks used you cant really complain.

20190429_173047.thumb.jpg.3833e01c92b2b95664f7b9b70d30d470.jpg

if i had to do it again i would try nd figure a mounting mechanism for the glas from the start and not try glueing it. or maybe id try a smoother surface to glue it to idk. id also try and getter a brighter screen or get a glass thats less tinted. they are rated with percentages afterall. but what percentage of light pass through for a lack of better words is gonna look best is highly dependend on how bright your room is. low tint in a dark room might mean that you can see the monitor or even backlight bleed. too dark and you wont be able to read the text properly.

to your question yes i use magic mirror but i found most of the plugins to be very area specific. but love the simplicity of them so if you wanted to write your own you totally could. i havent yet though. i just use a handfull and modify them to the look i want. e.g. bold fonts for better readability and all.