Canon officially announces the EOS RP - A full-frame mirrorless camera starting at $1299

D13H4RD

52746700-2fe4-11e9-adcf-e9b5295bc478&cli

After countless leaks, Canon has officially taken the wraps off the EOS RP, its second full-frame mirrorless body after the original EOS R released last year.

Its main takeaway is the price. The body alone is $1299, which as of this time, is bundled with a grip extension and an RF-to-EF adapter, making it as of now, the cheapest brand-new full-frame mirrorless camera body.

The sensor is a full-frame 26.2MP CMOS sensor that appears to be based off the sensor found in the EOS 6D Mark II, compared to the 30.3MP CMOS unit found in the original EOS R, which itself is based off the one found in the EOS 5D Mark IV. It does share the same DIGIC 8 digital processor found in the R alongside the Dual Pixel autofocus system (though with 4779 AF points versus 5655 on the R) and the fully articulating screen.

While the RP is powered by the new Digic 8 processor, its 26.2MP sensor is almost exactly the same as the one inside the 6D Mark II. It has been redesigned somewhat, to optimise it to work with a mirrorless system and to accommodate the difference in the flange back distance of the RF mount, but for all intents and purposes it’s the same sensor. 

Accordingly, the RP has the same ISO100-40,000 (expandable to 102,400), along with Dual Pixel CMOS AF. It will autofocus down to -5EV, and Canon makes the Familiar Manufacturer’s Claim™ that it possesses “the world's fastest AF speed” of 0.05 seconds. The AF coverage is 88% x 100% on the sensor, which provides a mammoth 4,4779 autofocus positions – which is split into 143 zones if you’re using the auto AF functionality. 

Servo AF now supports Face Tracking with Eye AF, which was a bit of a glaring omission on the EOS R, along with single point Spot AF, which is something else that has been transplanted from the 6D Mark II. 

It can shoot in 4K up to 25fps, but loses Dual Pixel CMOS AF and suffers about a 1.6x crop when doing so. In 1080p it can shoot up to 60fps, without a crop and with the benefit of Dual Pixel.

topview-1-800x412.jpg

In terms of size and weight (one of the main advantages), the EOS RP measures 5.22×3.35×2.76in (132.5x85x70mm) and weighs 17.11 oz (485g) with a battery and card — the camera is smaller than the Canon Rebel DSLR. By comparison, the EOS R measures 5.3×3.9×3.3in (135.8×98.3×84.4mm) and weighs 23.2oz (660g).

One upgrade over the 6D Mark II is that the RP is able to shoot UHD video, though it's obviously not as good as its more expensive sibling, and does a 1.6x crop when shooting video.

On the video front, the EOS RP can shoot 4K at 25fps at 120Mb/s and with 8-bit color depth for both internal recording and with an external recorder. By comparison, the EOS R can do 4K at 30fps at 480Mb/s and up to 10-bit with an external recorder. And unlike the EOS R, the EOS RP doesn’t offer Canon Log.

Much like the EOS R, the RP also only features a single SD card slot (although this one supports UHS-II) and for the RP, it has a battery that has a CIPA rating of around 250 shots (you're likely to get a little bit more).

woAsX6DByNj3fR7TuYAnmc-970-80.jpg

Alongside the new body, Canon also announced 6 new native RF lenses, which are;

• 85mm f/1.2L USM
  • 85mm f/1.2L USM DS (Defocus Smoothing)
  • 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • 15-35mm f/1.8L IS USM
  • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • 24-240mm F/4-6.3 IS USM

The EOS RP is currently up for pre-order, with the $1299 body-only price including an RF-to-EF adapter and an extension grip. $1699 bundles that alongside an EF 24-105 f/3.5-f/5.6 kit lens. Spending all the way up to $2199 bundles the adapter and extension grip alongside a 24-105 f/4L lens instead of the aforementioned EF kit lens (these prices are from Adorama and do include an instant rebate). The camera will hit shelves and start shipping on the 27th of February. 

Sources;

PetaPixel

Engadget

Digital Camera World (Body)

Digital Camera World (Lenses)

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

for some reason the front image of the EOS RP in the official pages makes it looks crappier than the one IRL ._.

It's probably similar to the size of my Fujifilm X-T3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

45 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

mirrorless

with my limited knowledge of how cameras function: how does this work?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

17 minutes ago, Arika S said:

with my limited knowledge of how cameras function: how does this work?

Basically, the term "mirrorless" denotes a camera that does not utilize a mirror for use with an optical viewfinder. This technically extends to consumer compacts and even smartphone cameras, but the term is usually used for cameras that feature sensors typically found on DSLRs while omitting the mirror reflex mechanism. 

Typically, on a DSLR, you have a mirror which reflects light through prisms onto an optical viewfinder, which gives you a direct view of what the lens sees. When you take a photo, the mirror flips up and the shutter opens up, exposing the sensor to capture the photo. 

A mirrorless camera omits the mirror and as such, the optical viewfinder. So your viewfinder is either entirely on the LCD display or a separate EVF typically utilizing OLED, and as such, it's 100% in Live View (what the sensor sees). Despite the omission of the mirror, a mechanical shutter still exists. 

I like Fuji.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

34 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I like Fuji.

So do I, which is why I use an X-T3

This sounds like a downgrade to me.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

16 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Does Fujifilm or anyone sell a mirrorless camera for $1000 or less? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

Well its cheaper then the eos r at least here in the uk so it seems about right 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

59 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Does Fujifilm or anyone sell a mirrorless camera for $1000 or less? 

Yes, but not full frame.

The camera house itself of the X-T20 or X-T30. With kit lens they become more tho.

But X-T100 with lens is cheaper.

Sony a6000, but its an older camera.

Canon m50

Olympus and Panasonic have some I think, but those are smaller sensor and stuff, but they have some alternatives.

If you care about video, x-t100 and a6000 does not have 4k video that is usable, and canon m50 is only 4k in crop mode. I think most Olympus doesn't have it while Panasonic does, but don't remember the price of those that have.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

I have Fuji X-T20 :)

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

I like Fuji.

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

I have an Nikon D610 but lately i'm preferring my Fuji X70 over it. Its just such a nice camera.

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

3 hours ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

It’s also roughly $1000 less versus the original EOS R

Wouldn't a mirror-less camera be better for capturing high FPS footage/several dozen images in a short period while still being able to display an image in the view finder.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

it would be really nice if they just come up some new sensors. that same old chip has been on various cameras for years, think how sony doing amazing tricks on their a7 cameras.

canon seems ill-prepared for the mirrorless age when everyone (i mean sony...) is r&ding the crap out of itself for new sensors that are truely optimised for mirrorless bodies, where the old dinosaur just ditch the mirror and get done with it. altho they still have nice glasses.

speaking of the price, how much for a second hand vanilla a7 with decent condition now? half, maybe?

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

2 hours ago, zassou said:

it would be really nice if they just come up some new sensors. that same old chip has been on various cameras for years, think how sony doing amazing tricks on their a7 cameras.

canon seems ill-prepared for the mirrorless age when everyone (i mean sony...) is r&ding the crap out of itself for new sensors that are truely optimised for mirrorless bodies, where the old dinosaur just ditch the mirror and get done with it. altho they still have nice glasses.

speaking of the price, how much for a second hand vanilla a7 with decent condition now? half, maybe?

I don't think the sensor is really the whole story, but for the EOS RP, that 6DII sensor is really starting to show its age, especially when the Nikon Z6/Sony a7iii have shown significant improvements in sensor tech. I have a feeling Canon might go all-out with their pro-body but we'll have to see.

You can get an a7ii for a little less than an EOS RP, but bear in mind that the first few a7s are more or less WIP products. Their 3rd iterations are much more refined and complete.

2 hours ago, zassou said:

The issue, as I understand it, is that Canon (and Nikon, for that matter) is a classic Japanese company that has a long roadmap ahead of it and doesn't adapt quickly to change.  It's going to release an updated version of camera X a couple years from now, a new camera in existing category Y several years from now, and it would take a giant upheaval to disrupt its strategy.

The issue, as you might have guessed, is that Sony is not really a classic Japanese company these days.  It develops aggressively; it isn't really attached to tradition; it's happy to pump out new iterations of successful cameras on a fairly frequent basis.  The EOS R and RP represent Canon being forced to behave more like Sony instead of clinging to some 10- to 20-year roadmap where it assumes nothing will change.

On 2/14/2019 at 5:58 AM, rcmaehl said:

Wouldn't a mirror-less camera be better for capturing high FPS footage/several dozen images in a short period while still being able to display an image in the view finder.

yes, mirrorless reduces the "flashing" effect of taking photos quickly with a DSLR. Also, the time between shots can be reduced, because the mirror doesn't need to cycle between exposures.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

9 hours ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

yes, mirrorless reduces the "flashing" effect of taking photos quickly with a DSLR. Also, the time between shots can be reduced, because the mirror doesn't need to cycle between exposures.

The one exception are cameras like the EOS 1DX Mark II, which can do 14-16FPS with the mechanical shutter.

The only mirrorless that I know of which exceeds that is Sony's a9, but not for a very long period and not with all lenses

I hope it isn't a cheesy version of the EOS R in hand. The price is entry level which worries me...

What do you guy think about the comparison? The specs overall look good on the P but how much does it really differ from the R. 

I would be using it for video mainly but am not sure if the EOS R is worth the extra money. 

On 2/19/2019 at 12:45 PM, MrJustBcause said:

I hope it isn't a cheesy version of the EOS R in hand. The price is entry level which worries me...

What do you guy think about the comparison? The specs overall look good on the P but how much does it really differ from the R. 

I would be using it for video mainly but am not sure if the EOS R is worth the extra money. 

I got a Canon EOS R, and to me, if you can afford to get a EOS R, get it instead. The EOS RP is very much a budget full-frame camera, meant for stills work. The EOS R is better suited for video work, with Dual Pixel AF for 4K at 30fps, and C-log. You will be happier with the R.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, rcmaehl said:

The mirror doesn't move when capturing footage, it stays in the up position. 

With images, I believe the limit is usually the processor and buffer, DSLRs can go up to around 14fps burst but i'm pretty sure the mirror actually stays in the up position when doing burst photography at those kinds of speeds anyway. 

5 hours ago, Camoxide said:

The mirror doesn't move when capturing footage, it stays in the up position. 

With images, I believe the limit is usually the processor and buffer, DSLRs can go up to around 14fps burst but i'm pretty sure the mirror actually stays in the up position when doing burst photography at those kinds of speeds anyway. 

If it does when you do burst, you see nothing in ovf, different from mirrorless and evf :)

-Stephen Hawking

Budget full frame, good enough for me. I might have to put on wishlist for next year.

Got a computer problem? Update the BIOS! ?