Friends PC acting up

So my friends PC has been acting up lately, when doing something a bit heavier like gaming or even transferring files/downloading files, Windows starts to freeze and you have to reboot the whole system in order to get it running again. We ruled out HDD because we tried another one and did a clean install of windows 7 and it still froze. 

Specs that I know of are:

PSU: Modecom mc 620 carbon

GPU: Club 3D HD6970

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 820

MOBO: no idea /:

RAM: no idea again

We tried to take out the GPU and run the PC without it and it worked just fine, didn't try gaming of course but transferring files and stuff. I suspect it could be the PSU, it's a budget POS PSU and I've not heard anything good about it. Maybe it's not letting enough power through causing freezing? I remember not having enough power on my old PSU but it was a Corsair one and it would just turn off the PC so I can't be 100% sure. Maybe some of you wizards there have some ideas. 

Personally I would switch the PSU ASAP as it could blow up every other component any minute now.

I say, throw the PC out of the window.

No I'm kiddding... but freezing can be caused because of overload of the HDD, well.. I have 160 free space out of 500GB.. lol.. and I am getting freezes.. I need an SSD to stop it :(

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I say, throw the PC out of the window.

No I'm kiddding... but freezing can be caused because of overload of the HDD, well.. I have 160 free space out of 500GB.. lol.. and I am getting freezes.. I need an SSD to stop it :(

Yeah I suspected the HDD as well but a brand new HDD with clean install of Win 7 and it still froze... so I think it's safe to rule that out:p

Yeah I suspected the HDD as well but a brand new HDD with clean install of Win 7 and it still froze... so I think it's safe to rule that out:p

Run memtest86 and prime95

Run memtest86 and prime95

My friend did run memtest86 for 20 minutes and it came out without errors, I guess we could try run it for longer to see if any errors pop up. We'll try prime95 and see what happens.