Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noob Builder

Need advice

Posted · Original PosterOP

So my father recently upgraded our internet to 1GB speed up from 100 Megabytes, now with my Ethernet I get the same 4 ping with 100 mbps upload and download but on wifi we get 4 ping with 340 mbps download and upload. Should I get a wifi card for my computer or stick with lan? I play intensive games and I am not sure if it will be better or not. 

That's because your NIC is capped to 100Mbps for some reason. You either need a new router, switch, or a 1Gbps capable NIC. If you can give us more information like models then we can help identify the problem.

Current Build Log:

Original Build:

1 minute ago, Noob Builder said:

So my father recently upgraded our internet to 1GB speed up from 100 Megabytes, now with my Ethernet I get the same 4 ping with 100 mbps upload and download but on wifi we get 4 ping with 340 mbps download and upload. Should I get a wifi card for my computer or stick with lan? I play intensive games and I am not sure if it will be better or not. 

I was typing while Lurick answered so what he said xD

a person with an AIO liquid cpu cooler installed on his brains.

deal with it

1 Gigabit and 100megabyte are pretty much the same. You should get your terms right but it seems like you are limited to 100mbps on some interface. 

Gaming HTPC:

R7 1700X@stock - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - Asus GTX 1080 Strix - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Silverstone SX500-LG - 500gb 960 EVO - Fractal Design Node 202 - Samsung 60KS7090 - Logitech G502 - Thrustmaster T500RS - Noblechairs Icon

Desktop PC:
i7 2600k @stock - H100i GTX - Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe - Asus GTX 1050Ti Strix - 16gb HyperX Fury 1866mhz - EVGA 750G2 - 250gb 840 EVO - 6TB WD My Book Duo (Reds) - Enthoo Evolv ITX - Dell U3415W - Benq XL2411T - Qpad MK-85 Brown - Logitech MX518 - Blue Yeti Platinum - Noblechairs Icon 

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5* - 
250gb 970 Evo - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

18 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

1 Gigabit and 100megabyte are pretty much the same. You should get your terms right but it seems like you are limited to 100mbps on some interface. 

I mean he did say 1 GB/s speed, maybe he just has really fast internet now.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Posted · Original PosterOP
23 hours ago, Lurick said:

That's because your NIC is capped to 100Mbps for some reason. You either need a new router, switch, or a 1Gbps capable NIC. If you can give us more information like models then we can help identify the problem.

Let me try to give you some more info but networking and connections aren't my specialty we upgraded from 100 megabits to 1 gigabit connection speed. Our router I believe is the Verizon Fios Quantum but we have a Orbi as our switch. I tried plugging in my ethernet directly to the router in multiple spots and to the Orbi and I get the same speed. And what a NIC?