Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GabenJr

The AMAZING $30 "Computer Case"!

Posted · Original PosterOP

Lately we’ve been running out of test benches in the office. Thankfully, AliExpress has us covered - For under $30! Some assembly required...

Buy a Geek Studio test bench on Taobao: https://lmg.gg/8KV6f

Buy an Open Bench Table: https://lmg.gg/8KV6F

Anthony @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP             

I'm a handsome man with a charming personality. - Gabe Newell

Now do a vid showing how YOU would make an acrylic test bench (using ur CnC) better than this one.

CPU:Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/OC & EK Water Block | SoundCard: Asus Xonar D2X - FiiO X3K DAP/DAC for Headphones | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads (Push) + NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad (Push/Pull) | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | Case: Modded CM Storm Stryker | Panasonic 42" Plasma

The only thing this has going for it over just sticking everything on top of a box and calling it a day is the bars to hold up expansion cards and that sick vertical PSU look.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

You really notice @GabenJr is becoming a real part of LMG, stupid mistakes, dropping stuff, exactly the stuff we are expecting!

It's actually nice to see that Anthony is the source for a bunch of actually really good videos recently. Keep it up! :)

They should really let you go ham on aliexpress once with no budget just to see what kind of crazy stuff you would buy.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Parenting tips jokes was on point

CPU: 9900k @ 5.35ghz Motherboard: Z390 Aorus Xtreme GPU: EVGA 2080ti FTW3 + HYDROCOPPER @ 2190Mhz RAM: 16GB Vengeance RGB 3600CL17 PSU: 850P2

COOLING: Bent Glass Loop CASE: 900D

5 minutes ago, Rune said:

Parenting tips jokes was on point

I had a shop teacher in high school that did a similar thing when he dropped stuff. He stopped after losing his grip while moving a drill press table.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Could have used the cardboard box that shipped with the motherboard.

Non-conductive, free of charge and nothing goes to waste.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

55 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

You really notice @GabenJr is becoming a real part of LMG, stupid mistakes, dropping stuff, exactly the stuff we are expecting!

It's actually nice to see that Anthony is the source for a bunch of actually really good videos recently. Keep it up! :)

They should really let you go ham on aliexpress once with no budget just to see what kind of crazy stuff you would buy.

I've seen stuff from SODIMM to DIMM adapters to AGP USB 3.0 cards. 

Linus needs new pants... How did he even get a hole there?LOL.PNG.b752131f0315d66c282fd59c5a4a80bf.PNG

Spoiler

-The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train.

-Celibacy is not hereditary.

-If everything seems to be going well you obviously have no idea what's going on.

-Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

-A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.

-Everyone has a scheme for getting rich that will not work.

Spoiler

-Do things according to who you are, not who others are.

-You can't put a square peg in a round hole. If you're a square peg, make yourself a square hole.

-If somebody else will, why should you?

-If your life consists solely of doing the bidding of others, you have no life at all.

16 minutes ago, OneGuy83 said:

you have your own giant CNC machine... why don't you make your own Test Bench?

Just because you can do something from scratch doesn't mean you need to or should.  Let me just have my expensive engineer spend a full week doing a case design that probably won't be as good as this $30 one I can buy that is ready to go off the shelf.

Workstation: 8600k @ 4.6Ghz || ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate || Gigabyte 1080Ti || G.Skill DDR4-3800 @ 2666 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 25 gallon whole-house loop.

HTPC/GuestGamingBox: Optoma HD142X 1080p Projector || 7600K@ 4.6 || Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 9  || EVGA Titan X (Maxwell) || Corsair RM650x || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only.

Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.5Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB || EVGA G3 750W || CPU watercooled, 25 gallon whole-house loop.

Server VM/Plex/HTTPS: E5-2699v4 (22 core!) || Asus X99m WS || GT 630 || Corsair RM650x || CPU watercooled, 25 gallon whole-house loop.

Server Storage: Pent. G3220 || Z87 Gryphon mATX || || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 4x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 3x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i (drives) Corsair RM450 (machine) || CPU watercooled, 25 gallon whole-house loop.

On the Shelf: EVGA X99 micro2, 780, 740 GT, 210 w/ DVI port unsoldered (Hint: it can be done but it ain't easy). 

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G3 (Intel 8350U).

Very happy to see Anthony in more videos. Linus is good and all, his taste in comedy is perfect. But if you want some real intelligent content the source seems to be Anthony, Taran, or Alex.

Feature them in more videos LMG!

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX300, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Corsair CX 750, Fractal Define Mini C TG, Windows 10 Enterprise

School Laptop: Late 2008 Macbook Aluminum Unibody. C2D P7350, nVidia 9800M, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Mojave. Also my editing laptop (FCP > Adobe Premier)

Phone: Galaxy Note 8, Android 8.0

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.), Lenovo G580 (For Sale)

6 minutes ago, MrMartellato said:

I found the link to the bench on AliExpress, but it seems they've bumped up the price to $67 :(

motherf... just came looking for the AliExpress link, was eyeing some test benches but never saw this one

12 minutes ago, Stalkholm said:

This is gonna' sound weird, but can anybody tell me what the cooler/heatsink he's using is?

It's the 'big boy' stock Intel heatsink, for skylake I think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Active-Thermal-Solution-TS15A-130W-CPU-LGA1151-1150-1156-Heatsink-Cooler/253288601670?hash=item3af92d5846:g:PusAAOSwZtJW--~h:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

TS15A, not cheap to buy on it's own I guess but Intel says it'll do 130W.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's the 'big boy' stock Intel heatsink, for skylake I think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Active-Thermal-Solution-TS15A-130W-CPU-LGA1151-1150-1156-Heatsink-Cooler/253288601670?hash=item3af92d5846:g:PusAAOSwZtJW--~h:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

TS15A, not cheap to buy on it's own I guess but Intel says it'll do 130W.

Thank you for the help!  I collect heat sinks and I was like "Huh, don't know that one."  Finding new things is cool.  :)

It'd be neat if those heatsinks were a standard diameter, so that I could get an elcheapo but equally neat looking Chinese fan to slap on top of it.  We will see.  Thanks again!  :D