Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lookpuppy

How cold is to cold

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

I am grounded from my pc for the time being, and as a precaution my parents put my tower (just tower, no peripherals) in the garage. It is typically 20-30 degrees (winter). I’m worried my mono might warp, or it will collect a lot of condensation. It was 5 degrees the night I put it away. I’m almost certain when I get it back I’m going to have to wait a day or so until the condensation is completely gone and it’s safe to turn on my pc. Is there other things I should worry about? Really scared.

Edited by lookpuppy
Forgot to clarify it was in a garage

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

2 minutes ago, lookpuppy said:

I am grounded from my pc for the time being, and as a precaution my parents put my tower (just tower, no peripherals). It is typically 20-30 degrees (winter). I’m worried my mono might warp, or it will collect a lot of condensation. It was 5 degrees the night I put it away. I’m almost certain when I get it back I’m going to have to wait a day or so until the condensation is completely gone and it’s safe to turn on my pc. Is there other things I should worry about? Really scared.

Bring it into the house, let it warm up to room temp for a few hours (while you're in school), and it'll be fine when you get home.

Or ask them to put it in their bedroom closet or something, but cold alone won't hurt the thing.  

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) + Toshiba P300 3TB - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Keep it inside, condensation buildup you might forget about could cause problems when you try to boot it again in the future.

Hi how are ya

4 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

cold alone won't hurt the thing.  

I wouldn't say that. Depending on the type of fan bearings you have or if you have a water cooler the cold could damage the computer. Although if there's no AIO/custom loop the fan bearings are only an issue at something like -40 C/F.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Just now, BobVonBob said:

I wouldn't say that. Depending on the type of fan bearings you have or if you have a water cooler the cold could damage the computer. Although if there's no AIO/custom loop the fan bearings are only an issue at something like -40 C/F.

Right.  I would hope his parents wouldn;'t put a water loop outside in the middle of winter, I made the assumption they have an IQ above 2.

Also, he said 5 degrees, which is nowhere near -40.

So yeah, you'd say that and did ;)

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) + Toshiba P300 3TB - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

Right.  I would hope his parents wouldn;'t put a water loop outside in the middle of winter, I made the assumption they have an IQ above 2.

I didn't word that well. I wouldn't make the blanket statement that "cold won't damage it", since enough cold could damage it. That cold won't though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Posted · Original PosterOP

Air cooled. Parts in bio. To clarify it’s in a garage with no heat and it’s on an elevated carped. (Off the concrete)

32 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

I didn't word that well. I wouldn't make the blanket statement that "cold won't damage it", since enough cold could damage it. That cold won't though.

35 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

38 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Keep it inside, condensation buildup you might forget about could cause problems when you try to boot it again in the future.

Guys I forgot to mention it was in my garage. It’s snowing outside xdddd

Just now, ApusDot said:

I'd be worried about mold rather.

Not really an issue in below-freezing situations.

1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

Not really an issue in below-freezing situations.

Probably. It's just that the TS didn't specify for how long the tower will be in the garage, and also, the temperature won't always be below freezing I would say/guess. 

1 hour ago, lookpuppy said:

I am grounded from my pc for the time being, and as a precaution my parents put my tower (just tower, no peripherals) in the garage. It is typically 20-30 degrees (winter). I’m worried my mono might warp, or it will collect a lot of condensation. It was 5 degrees the night I put it away. I’m almost certain when I get it back I’m going to have to wait a day or so until the condensation is completely gone and it’s safe to turn on my pc. Is there other things I should worry about? Really scared.

How long are you grounded for? Or for how long will the tower be in the garage?

7 minutes ago, ApusDot said:

How long are you grounded for? Or for how long will the tower be in the garage?

I’m guessing a week to 2 weeks

4 minutes ago, lookpuppy said:

I’m guessing a week to 2 weeks

Damn, always hated a non-set-in-stone punishment.  Is it 2 weeks, and maybe off early for good behavior?

Ask them VERY VERY NICELY and SINCERELY to bring it in the house.  Explain you're worried about it and maybe don't reference you asked us on the forums if you're grounded in theory from going online too :)

19 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Damn, always hated a non-set-in-stone punishment.  Is it 2 weeks, and maybe off early for good behavior?

Ask them VERY VERY NICELY and SINCERELY to bring it in the house.  Explain you're worried about it and maybe don't reference you asked us on the forums if you're grounded in theory from going online too :)

I’m allowed to keep my phone, but no pc. My dad ex girlfriend thinks she knows everything and thinks that since her laptop that’s in a padded case is fine out there, then my exposed to the elements pc will be fine. 

9 minutes ago, lookpuppy said:

I’m allowed to keep my phone, but no pc. My dad ex girlfriend thinks she knows everything and thinks that since her laptop that’s in a padded case is fine out there, then my exposed to the elements pc will be fine. 

Yeah, don't bring that up.  Just be polite and firm, gets a lot further than bashing your dad's ex.

She's not really that wrong, but we're looking for best place it should be.  I mean, in 2 weeks if you bring it in, let it warm up naturally, then use it, it'll work fine.

Best case is in the house, but if I were you... whichever way it goes things will be A-Okay.  Don't worry anymore.

3 hours ago, lookpuppy said:

Not to get too personal, but your father's EX girlfriend? How is she his ex-girlfriend and still live with you/him? lol. I know I'm being too nosy, but I had to ask.

I would say that somewhere around 0oR is too cold.

Teacher: Does anyone have a thin ruler?

Students: No.

Teacher: Ok. Does anyone have a nail file.

Students: Why do you need a nail file?
Teacher: I have a staple I need to remove.

Student: Oh. I have a staple remover...

People don't want power drills, they want holes.

This Pentium II and voodoo 3 sat in an unsealed barn for 15 years before I got to it and put it in a non temperature controlled storage unit from spring until a few days ago

booted right up

dont stress it, I'm also a truck driver, trucks that carry computers or computer parts are all dry vans and are not temperature controlled either, I've taken newegg loads through -30 and up to 121 degrees, it'll be fine 

IMG_3691.JPG

Pro tip, before you reply to an question or topic, answer these three questions:

1) Do I actually have an answer for OP at all?

2) Am I giving an answer that is based in multiple reliable source tests and not personal opinion or heresay?

3) Is my answer on topic, clear and concise?

If you answered "no" to any of those, close the tab.

Do not give people information you personally think is correct. Source, research and then reply. If you plain and simple don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it. It's harmful to support questions on forums to be providing people with wrong or misleading information. As well as going off topic from the original question.

i.e. "What B360 motherboard should I buy?"

>someone replies with a PC partpicker list with a ryzen system

Not what was asked.

I'm sorry, but I can't leave this thread in good conscience without pointing out that the title technically makes no sense, "How cold is to cold"? Really? I think you mean "How cold is too cold?".

Spoiler

-The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train.

-Celibacy is not hereditary.

-If everything seems to be going well you obviously have no idea what's going on.

-Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

-A shortcut is the longest distance between two points.

-Everyone has a scheme for getting rich that will not work.

Spoiler

-Do things according to who you are, not who others are.

-You can't put a square peg in a round hole. If you're a square peg, make yourself a square hole.

-If somebody else will, why should you?

-If your life consists solely of doing the bidding of others, you have no life at all.

4 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Watch out we got a Rankine hipster over here xD

I wasn't sure if he was talking about that, or possibly either Rømer or Réaumur scales.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

I wasn't sure if he was talking about that, or possibly either Rømer or Réaumur scales.

I've always seen Réaumur noted as lowercase r. Also screw Rømer, nobody got time for that xD

8 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I've always seen Réaumur noted as lowercase r. Also screw Rømer, nobody got time for that xD

Ya lol °Ré, °Re, °r are all correct for Réaumur and Rømer being notated as °Rø or °R (typically). Lol ah come on, everyone should use the freezing point of brine as zero!

3 hours ago, campy said:

This Pentium II and voodoo 3 sat in an unsealed barn for 15 years before I got to it and put it in a non temperature controlled storage unit from spring until a few days ago

booted right up

dont stress it, I'm also a truck driver, trucks that carry computers or computer parts are all dry vans and are not temperature controlled either, I've taken newegg loads through -30 and up to 121 degrees, it'll be fine 

IMG_3691.JPG

I used to maintain a PC repair shop in my garage. With the doors and windows closed, my tech bench was fine with outdoor temps down to 12F. I also never lost a customer's computer with the only heat in the place was the roommate's dog farting and the space heater at my feet.

Got a computer problem? Update the BIOS! 😂