Can't decide on 2080TI

JRJUK
On 2/13/2019 at 3:25 PM, Jrasero said:

Congrats on the promotion.  Honestly I would go with an EVGA RTX 2080 TI Black Edition and just use those stupid white plastic inserts to fill your build sine this is the cheapest card at $1000.  But no the Black does not overclock the best and actually is the B stock if I am not mistaken and actually runs a tad warmer than the regular XC or XC Ultra Cards.  But to be honest this is all you need since most RTX cards just don't overclock well unless power limits are modified or you buy those $1600+ cards...

I am not huge on aesthetics since I run a closed system but I love my EVGA XC Ultra, running at 1440P Ultra on any game has the card at 67 degrees on average.    

I got the same card, great at 4k.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:04 AM, Stefan Payne said:

But what does it do?!
I feel like its 32bit vs 16bit on TNT(2) vs. Voodoo.

32bit was a feature. Nobody cared that it was totally useless.

An the first nV Card that could really use 32bit framebuffer was the Geforce. And here more the DDR-SDRAM Version...

Riva might have supported it but it was totally useless.

And also, if you want to use the GPU for longer, look at how GTX680 and Radeon HD7970 perform now.

The 7970 annihilates the GTX680...

Same with many other AMD Cards, that they perform better when they get older.

Why not wait on the CPU and look how Ryzen 3000 performs and decide when that's out?

Your Haswell is still OK these days and you don't waste money on things you regret. And you have all the facts and can decide.

Right now we know that Ryzen 3000 will be far better than Ryzen 2000 and that Intel doesn't have an answer...

And its not even that long, next month we might get more infos about that baby...

So right now, I'd hold off on CPU and Board and only upgrade the GPU...

DLSS is a pretty decent feature to have and should improve frame rates, and also as i said the design on the Radeon 7 doesn't fit in with what I want & AMD have already said that there will only be one design for the card ruling it out. I also use Ansel from time to time.

I'm leaving CPU til last anyway since AMD are now really competitive again so it'll be interesting how Intel responds with ice lake and my desired motherboard isn't available in the UK so I might as well wait.

18 hours ago, JRJUK said:

DLSS is a pretty decent feature to have and should improve frame rates,

But what does it do??
Isn't there this Diagramm that shows that it mostly does not work and only under certain circumstances??

and also as i said the design on the Radeon 7 doesn't fit in with what I want

What do you want?
Support a really anti-consumer Company that wanted to rid you of choice?

& AMD have already said that there will only be one design for the card ruling it out.

For now, there might be custom coolers coming...

But you can tweak the Card to be quiet as well, pretty easily with like 2 Clicks or so.

I also use Ansel from time to time.

So supporting the evil cancer wich is proprietary crap??
You know that there is AMD's ReLive??

Maybe look more closely to the other side??

I'm leaving CPU til last anyway since AMD are now really competitive again so it'll be interesting how Intel responds with ice lake and my desired motherboard isn't available in the UK so I might as well wait.

So you're waiting until 2021 because You have to support the Evil Monopolists and don't want no real competition??

That is an evil thing to do...

But hey, I want competition, but other people have to buy the Competing Products, I only want to support Monopolys...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 2/13/2019 at 10:31 AM, Turtle Rig said:

You can try the EVGA Black.  Also what resolution do you play at ?  The Ti is only good if your gaming at 4k but even then you only get 60fps .... If your playing at 1440p then the 2080Ti is pointless.  If your gaming at 2160p then it will be playable but 60fps is not going to cut it now a days and what not.

1440p 144hz will absolutely use all of the power a 2080ti can provide and then some. Trust me, many modern games don't run at 144fps at ultra settings on a 2080ti and the 1% and .1% lows DEFINITELY won't be at 144fps. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

But what does it do??
Isn't there this Diagramm that shows that it mostly does not work and only under certain circumstances??

What do you want?
Support a really anti-consumer Company that wanted to rid you of choice?

For now, there might be custom coolers coming...

But you can tweak the Card to be quiet as well, pretty easily with like 2 Clicks or so.

So supporting the evil cancer wich is proprietary crap??
You know that there is AMD's ReLive??

Maybe look more closely to the other side??

So you're waiting until 2021 because You have to support the Evil Monopolists and don't want no real competition??

That is an evil thing to do...

But hey, I want competition, but other people have to buy the Competing Products, I only want to support Monopolys...

I have used "the other side", until my current PC I only used AMD GPUs as they offered better value and I wasn't going for a theme, for what I want the Radeon 7 doesn't give me what I'm looking for. A possibility of custom coolers isn't really enough, aesthetically the card won't fit into my build at all. 

Ice Lake is due later this year so I don't know where you are getting 2021 from.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Nvidia's consumer practices much either but you can't deny they make good GPUs and ultimately that is what I want.

On 2/14/2019 at 2:27 AM, JRJUK said:

Hi everyone,

In September I will be promoted at work so I will get a pay rise & to celebrate I will be building myself a new gaming rig & it's just not worth upgrading my current rig (i5-4690K)

I like my technology to be clean & minimalist & I will be doing a white & purple build, I've worked out most of the components I will be using but I'm unsure about the Case, Mobo & variant of GPU (I will ask in those forums)

Now the GPU is the area I'm least sure about in terms of what I want, all I really know is that I want a 2080TI & either in black or white but that's about it. The only one I have really looked at in detail is the Zotac GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme which is all black (from what I've seen) with a large amount of RGB on the sides. 

If anybody could suggest a 2080TI in black or white & is relatively clean in design (for a GPU) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

If you intend to get the best of the best, it would either be a kingpin or HOF. One is black, another is white. 

7 hours ago, JRJUK said:

I have used "the other side", until my current PC I only used AMD GPUs as they offered better value and I wasn't going for a theme, for what I want the Radeon 7 doesn't give me what I'm looking for. A possibility of custom coolers isn't really enough, aesthetically the card won't fit into my build at all. 

Ice Lake is due later this year so I don't know where you are getting 2021 from.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Nvidia's consumer practices much either but you can't deny they make good GPUs and ultimately that is what I want.

lol 10nm has been due for the last 2 years I wouldn't count on them pulling a rabbit out of a hat this year. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

18 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

lol 10nm has been due for the last 2 years I wouldn't count on them pulling a rabbit out of a hat this year. 

Still doesn't hide the fact that an i7 is better than anything AMD can do for gaming right now,

That's true. It's about what you want. If you play at 1080p 144hz with a 1080ti/2080 or 1440p 144hz with a 2080ti, then intel makes more sense. Honestly I don't think any Intel CPUs except 9900k really make that much sense rn. If you want value then i5 makes no sense compared to Ryzen 5. If you're willing to spend enough over Ryzen 7 to get 9700k I'd just say don't half ass it and just go 9900k. 

4 hours ago, JRJUK said:

Still doesn't hide the fact that an i7 is better than anything AMD can do for gaming right now,

Yes and in a couple of months you might get the same performance for half the price.

Or possibly double the Cores for the price.

The Leaks are talking about up to 5GHz Boost for the 7nm Chips as well...

4 hours ago, Zeitec said:

Exactly

but people rather wait 2 years for Intel than 2 Months for AMD it seems...

Especially if its combined with a Die shrink on the AMD Side.

People are seriously claiming that it doesn't matter that AMD uses 7nm vs Intel's 14nm process...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

20 hours ago, Zeitec said:

That's true. It's about what you want. If you play at 1080p 144hz with a 1080ti/2080 or 1440p 144hz with a 2080ti, then intel makes more sense. Honestly I don't think any Intel CPUs except 9900k really make that much sense rn. If you want value then i5 makes no sense compared to Ryzen 5. If you're willing to spend enough over Ryzen 7 to get 9700k I'd just say don't half ass it and just go 9900k. 

After taking another look at prices might as well go 9900k, cheers 

I never heard of someone wanting a specific color video card.   You will get more enjoyment just getting some different color Goldfish.

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |