Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VegetableStu

Mission for Mars Rover Opportunity officially ends after being uncontactable since June 10 last year

Normally, this is a "Press F to pay respects" situation, but it's more like..

See You, Space Cowboy.

Posted · Original PosterOP

opportunity_rover.png

source:

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-share-results-of-effort-to-recover-mars-opportunity-rover/

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasas-record-setting-opportunity-rover-mission-on-mars-comes-to-end

(previous update) https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8364/update-on-opportunity-rover-recovery-efforts/

via: (thanks @TVwazhere)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/02/13/mars-rover-opportunity-nasa-announce-whether-pull-plug/2860881002/

https://www.space.com/mars-rover-opportunity-declared-dead.html 

imgsource: https://xkcd.com/2111/

NASA:

The Opportunity rover stopped communicating with Earth when a severe Mars-wide dust storm blanketed its location in June 2018. After more than a thousand commands to restore contact, engineers in the Space Flight Operations Facility at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) made their last attempt to revive Opportunity Tuesday, to no avail. The solar-powered rover's final communication was received June 10.

(...)

Designed to last just 90 Martian days and travel 1,100 yards (1,000 meters), Opportunity vastly surpassed all expectations in its endurance, scientific value and longevity. In addition to exceeding its life expectancy by 60 times, the rover traveled more than 28 miles (45 kilometers) by the time it reached its most appropriate final resting spot on Mars – Perseverance Valley.

Achievements include:

• Set a one-day Mars driving record March 20, 2005, when it traveled 721 feet (220 meters).
  • Returned more than 217,000 images, including 15 360-degree color panoramas.
  • Exposed the surfaces of 52 rocks to reveal fresh mineral surfaces for analysis and cleared 72 additional targets with a brush to prepare them for inspection with spectrometers and a microscopic imager. 
  • Found hematite, a mineral that forms in water, at its landing site.
  • Discovered strong indications at Endeavour Crater of the action of ancient water similar to the drinkable water of a pond or lake on Earth.

Space.com:

The thick, sunlight-blocking dust prevented the rover from recharging its batteries, and Opportunity went into a sort of hibernation. And it slept without being able to fire up its onboard heaters — a dangerous proposition on frigid Mars, where temperatures can drop enough to break soldering joints and other important pieces of internal hardware.

(...)

The dust storm started to die down in late July, and by mid-September it had abated so much that NASA began a concerted effort to rouse Opportunity. This "active listening" campaign involved sending commands to the silent rover and listening for any peeps it may have made on its own.

It was important to continue this campaign for several months, NASA officials and rover team members said, because the windy season in Opportunity's locale began in November. The hope was that strong breezes would clean some of the dust off the rover's solar panels, allowing Opportunity to recharge its batteries and wake up at long last.

This has not happened, however, and it apparently never will. So, for the first time in 15 years, we'll just have to get used to a world — or two worlds, rather — without Opportunity.

USAtoday:

Callas said the loss of power caused the vehicle's clock to get scrambled and the heater to stay on, draining the batteries. Flight controllers tried for months to re-establish contact, to no avail.

On Tuesday, NASA made one last attempt after more than 1,000 failed recovery commands over the months. It didn't succeed.

Spirit and Opportunity is survived by the nuclear-powered car-sized rover Curiosity, which landed in 2012

kinda weird we have feelings over one of our extremely few connections to Mars, when intermittent connections right here go angrily straight to downforeveryone, lol ._.

hopefully we get to see the day where the first people on mars find the derelict rovers we've sent

Dang, that's sad.

I hope, by pure chance that if another storm comes by, it'll dislodge enough sand for it to become usable again.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

A fallen soldier, rest in peace.

Actually it would be pretty cool for the first visitors to Mars to find the rover and memorialize it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - Asus DirectCU GTX 760 - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Dang, that's sad.

I hope, by pure chance that if another storm comes by, it'll dislodge enough sand for it to become usable again.

same thing happened to Spirit, which was made worse by being unable to move ,_,

1 hour ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Technically Spirit, but the Opportunity (lol) was presented, and I had to post it. The same commemoration can be thought for Opportunity.

How dare you make me feel feels like that

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

image.png.a34dbaa2595487c1d038182774a8a314.png

xkcd.com/1504/

I still reserve the hope it will miraculously come out of this unscathed for some reason.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Normally, this is a "Press F to pay respects" situation, but it's more like..

See You, Space Cowboy.

Unlike all the other "Press F to pay respects" moments this actually will mean something for most people.

Aaaaa I'm sad...

PSU Tier List

PCs and other things:

Spoiler

Current PC

CPU: AMD A8-6600k (@4.2Ghz)

GPU: GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX

Motherboard: GA-F2A78M-HD2 

RAM: 8gb Patriot DDR3-1600mhz

Storage: Samsung 830 EVO 120gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM 

PSU: SeaSonicM12II 620w (I wish I didn't buy this)

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB 

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP

Spoiler

New PC (getting parts)

CPU: i7-8086k [✓]

Cooling: EVGA CLC 280 RGB [✓]

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX [✓]

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO [✓]

RAM: XPG SPEXTRIX X41 2666mhz (Grey) [✓]

Storage: T-Force Delta 250gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM [✓]

PSU: 650w+ and ranked well

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB [✓]

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP [✓]

Extra: Sky blue front panel, sky blue cable extensions [✓]

Spoiler

Other

Phone: Huawei Mate 10 Lite (China steal my data???)

Dog: Irish Water Spaniel, Lucy, 9 years old (I didn't know what to write)

School Laptop: Acer Chromebook R11 ((less RAM than my phone)

It's last message to us:

"My battery is low, and it's getting dark."

Damn, let's let Mars 2020 drive to it and see how it'll stand just... Standing around.

Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): G4560 | Copper-cored Stock Cooler | GTX 480 1.5GB | 1x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (Running 2400) | ASRock H110M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): A4 6300 | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+ | Palit StormX GTX 1050 2GB | 2x4GB >Brand< DDR3-1866 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | KFA2 GTX 560 Ti EX OC | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

It's last message to us:

"My battery is low, and it's getting dark."

Damn, let's let Mars 2020 drive to it and see how it'll stand just... Standing around.

Maybe the rover should come with a repair kit so it could get the rover running again.

F

Gotta love engineering that lasts >50x its design lifespan though.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Galaxy S9+ - XPS 13 (9343 UHD+) - Samsung Note Tab 7.0 - Lenovo Y580

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Seeing Randal's comic strip tonight was one of the worst mood kills lately. The only thing worse will be any '7 years' comic off the regular pattern 😭

giphy.gif

I really hope they can get it back some day, either because it reactivates or simply because they pic it up and dedicate it its own monument on some Mars plaza...

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: i7 2600k @4.5GHz / 1,33V, Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 V Pro RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333Hz GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Asus Strix 970 Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Sharkoon T9 Value PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Well, now I'm nearly crying at work. Damn it.

Does anyone know how to make a petition to NASA to make the first human to ever set foot there land just next to Opportunity and fix it?