New user: 1440p Monitor good for Photoshop / Lightroom AND games

nicolaidenmark

Hi all,

I just took the plunge and ordered a new gaming, photoshop and Lightroom system for the first time since 2011 (when I bought a mid 2010 Imac I3 dual core)..

I'm a hobby photographer, hence, I would like the monitor to be colour accurate. What seems to complicate my purchase, however, is that I would also like like the same screen to be good (or at least decent) for gaming.

Included in my system to come is CoD Black Ops 4 so a monitor with an IPS (or other colour accuate panel) along with good refresh rate would be good. I'm looking at 27 inch models. I suffer from neck - and headaches due to cerebral palsy (constant muscle tension), so  an adjustable screen (hight, pivot, tilt etc.) is a must.

For my photo hobby, I need the monitor to be as accurate OOTB as possible and cover 100 percent of the SRGB spectrum. I have no calibrator. Additionally, good coverage of Adobe RGB 1998 is most welcome. 10 bit for colour would be awesome, however, I haven't found a monitor in my price range, which offers 10 bit and good gaming stats alike.

Been looking at the ASUS PG279Q, It seems good for gaming but may be lacking with regards to photo editing? Over at Tomshradware.co.uk, someone recommended me this Samsung:

LU32H850UMUXEN

But it seems Amazon reviews are less than stellar?

I'm in Denmark (Europe) and the price for the Asus PG279Q equals €721 which I can do but it would be the maximum that I'd be willing to spend.

If relevant, below are the specs of he system which I have on order:

Please note that although the specs say Core I 9 for the CPU, the sytem will be with a Core I7 9700K CPU.

Sorry that the invoice is in Danish but i take it you get the specs anyway,

Build time for the system is three days and it was ordered yesterday. So it should be available for pickup at the package center this comming weekend orin the beginning of the new week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Skærmbillede 2019-02-13 kl. 17.15.03.png

so. i have heard that the monitor (the asus one) is decent for photo editing. 

never heard about the LG one, but i know LG tends to have good photo editing stuff. But i'm sorry i can't give more insight into the world of these two monitors :( 

on another note for your specs... im very sad you picked an asus z390 board. but thats a different discussion for a different day. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

I dont see a graphics card listed in your invoice, i surely hope you actually ordered one, and just forgot to list it.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

I dont see a graphics card listed in your invoice, i surely hope you actually ordered one, and just forgot to list it.

Hehe... Yeah, it's hidden on this invoice: Asus GeForce® RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 Dual ?

1 minute ago, nicolaidenmark said:

Hehe... Yeah, it's hidden on this invoice: Asus GeForce® RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 Dual ?

mhm.

Well ihave seen the Asus PG279Q and it looks good, you are not doing a million dollar job so it will be more than good enough for your hobby photography needs.

Asus says that it is 100% SRGB and real 8bit, so it will be good.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Yeah, theyclaim 100 SRGB. But I have read that reviewed samples were off with regards to colour.

By what I read about that monitor, the ASUS PG279Q comes out good with factory defaults.  Calibration makes it even better.

Rtings has review on the monitor: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-pg279q

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I just checked a  review of a Samsung Quantum LED. Is there a non-curved vers with 1440p or 4K and 27 inch? Damn, those QLED colours look good. 

I ended up with the BenQ SW2700PT for its great colour space for my photography. 

Thanks,