Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakobH

Pc won't boot past bios after upgrading cpu.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hiya.

So just yesterday I've upgraded CPU's from a G4560 to an i5 6600k (which my mobo supports both gens.)

Initially upon startup I'd be stuck on the bios splash screen frozen and absolutely nothing would happen my keyboard would be completely unresponsive not allowing me to even enter the bios. I attempted to revert to my old CPU to see if it would boot to windows but I would again encounter the same issue. 

I've tried various troubleshooting such as removing the ram gpu and all other hardware to make sure everything was connected appropriately to see if it would make any impact which it did not.

So I've now tried resetting cmos (using the paperclip method as my motherboard B250M PRO VD does not have a cmos jumper.) Since resetting cmos I believe I've made some progress where my pc will now allow me to boot into the bios on the first startup where my mouse and keyboard are now also responsive. However when I attempt to reboot I again encounter the frozen bios splash screen but upon resetting the cmos I am able to reach the bios again. 

Now I'm completely struck on what I need to do inorder to get my pc booting successfully to windows. The only ideas I've come up with is whether it might now be a harddrive issue and the fact I have 2 WD harddrives installed. Or that I need to update the bios. Id just like some advice on what to do inorder to get to windows as I'm a tad scared of completely screwing everything up 😂😭 thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JakobH said:

Hiya.

So just yesterday I've upgraded CPU's from a G4560 to an i5 6600k (which my mobo supports both gens.)

Initially upon startup I'd be stuck on the bios splash screen frozen and absolutely nothing would happen my keyboard would be completely unresponsive not allowing me to even enter the bios. I attempted to revert to my old CPU to see if it would boot to windows but I would again encounter the same issue. 

I've tried various troubleshooting such as removing the ram gpu and all other hardware to make sure everything was connected appropriately to see if it would make any impact which it did not.

So I've now tried resetting cmos (using the paperclip method as my motherboard B250M PRO VD does not have a cmos jumper.) Since resetting cmos I believe I've made some progress where my pc will now allow me to boot into the bios on the first startup where my mouse and keyboard are now also responsive. However when I attempt to reboot I again encounter the frozen bios splash screen but upon resetting the cmos I am able to reach the bios again. 

Now I'm completely struck on what I need to do inorder to get my pc booting successfully to windows. The only ideas I've come up with is whether it might now be a harddrive issue and the fact I have 2 WD harddrives installed. Or that I need to update the bios. Id just like some advice on what to do inorder to get to windows as I'm a tad scared of completely screwing everything up 😂😭 thanks. 

You might need to flash your BIOS to get full compatibility with the new CPU.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4600 @ 1.456v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

AOC 40" 4k Curved / Samsung 40" 4k TV 120 MR / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus m.2 Card

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 & HD 4.50BT SE / Logitech G910 & G700s & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Intake / NF-P12 Exhaust

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
21 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

are you booting to the correct hard drive?  the computer may be trying to boot to the wrong drive thus getting confused.

Yes I attempted to boot with the harddrive with the OS installed and I would encounter the same issues 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

You might need to flash your BIOS to get full compatibility with the new CPU.

How do you go about flashing the bios?

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JakobH said:

How do you go about flashing the bios?

Go to your motherboards site and choose support or downloads.  Find your proper motherboard drivers and along with that you will see BIOS updates.  You need to copy the latest BIOS of your motherboard to USB stick.  Then go to your BIOS and in there you will find flashing BIOS option.  Run it won't take that long... Let it do its thing then boot into windows and hopefully your issue is resolved.


Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4600 @ 1.456v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

AOC 40" 4k Curved / Samsung 40" 4k TV 120 MR / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus m.2 Card

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 & HD 4.50BT SE / Logitech G910 & G700s & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Intake / NF-P12 Exhaust

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely try flashing your bios first before anything else I would recommend. Remember when resetting the cmos its important to note everything should be unplugged from the tower including any usb's or monitor's before the reset.


Prim - Ryzen 5 2600 / Stock Wraith Stealth / EVGA GTX 1070 8GB / 16 GB GEIL RAM @ 2400MHz / MSI x470 Gaming Plus / NZXT 750w PSU

Sec - Intel i5 7600k / Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler / GA GTX 1060 6GB / 8 GB Kingston RAM @ 2400MHz /GA-B250M-DS3H / EVGA 500ww PSU

Lenovo y50-70 - Intel i7 4710hq / nVidia GeForce GTX 860m / 12 GB Kingston RAM / 1 TB HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
24 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

Definitely try flashing your bios first before anything else I would recommend. Remember when resetting the cmos its important to note everything should be unplugged from the tower including any usb's or monitor's before the reset.

Yeah i did unplug everything on reset. I'm just completely struck as to why nothing is working. If I update the bios and that doesn't work...is it wise I send it in for repairs?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Microsoft actually recommends a complete reinstall of Windows following a CPU swap. So after you flash bios to latest version and it still does not work, I recommend a complete reinstall of the OS. Your machine boots into the bios fine, so its likely not a hardware issue.


Prim - Ryzen 5 2600 / Stock Wraith Stealth / EVGA GTX 1070 8GB / 16 GB GEIL RAM @ 2400MHz / MSI x470 Gaming Plus / NZXT 750w PSU

Sec - Intel i5 7600k / Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler / GA GTX 1060 6GB / 8 GB Kingston RAM @ 2400MHz /GA-B250M-DS3H / EVGA 500ww PSU

Lenovo y50-70 - Intel i7 4710hq / nVidia GeForce GTX 860m / 12 GB Kingston RAM / 1 TB HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 2/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, Brent744 said:

Microsoft actually recommends a complete reinstall of Windows following a CPU swap. So after you flash bios to latest version and it still does not work, I recommend a complete reinstall of the OS. Your machine boots into the bios fine, so its likely not a hardware issue.

On that note I booted with a different harddrive and it worked absolutely fine shame it's only my dad's old 32 bit windows os 😂😂😭

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×