Activision-Blizzard Fires 800 staff to cut costs

Juanitology

A shame they didn't fire all of the WoW CMs. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

1 hour ago, plsno said:

A shame they didn't fire all of the WoW CMs. 

They do it for free (maybe)

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

While it may very well be a necessary restructuring to their goals on track, it still seems like a such a sucky thing to do when their top earners are sitting on bags of money due to them making even more money than they've earned before.  I can imagine morale there must be pretty low.

Hopefully going forward we'll start seeing some good stuff come from Blizzard.  After the Diablo Immortal fiasco I kind of lost all hope for the company so I'm not holding my breath.  Hopefully I'm wrong though.

22 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Record revenues but not infinite revenues.

Always more.

Always growth.

This is why the stock market has fucked everything. No one can infinitely grow.

But everyone just expects to growth into infinity. Every god damn company. Because making 500 million a year is not enough, next year it has to be 650 million. And next 700. And 750... somehow. What's more ironic, the leadership just expects magic to happen, but they pretty much always ignore feedback from the actual workers. They literally want a cake and eat it too. And they are too far up their rear to realize it. Instead of firing people, they should ask what they could do to improve their income. But we know how that goes. They always have unrealistic expectations and then refuse to listen to feedback. Basically every single company or corporation in existence.

11 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

While it may very well be a necessary restructuring to their goals on track, it still seems like a such a sucky thing to do when their top earners are sitting on bags of money due to them making even more money than they've earned before.  I can imagine morale there must be pretty low.

Hopefully going forward we'll start seeing some good stuff come from Blizzard.  After the Diablo Immortal fiasco I kind of lost all hope for the company so I'm not holding my breath.  Hopefully I'm wrong though.

The same people who have made the decisions that lead them to believe they need to fire 800 people still have their jobs and their piles of money.

This is not about the survival of the business, it’s about making even more obscene amounts of money.

What amazes me is how some people believe that making money is a perfectly legitimate excuse for any shitty thing that gets done by large corporations.

I have no intention of giving Activision a single cent of my money ever again.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

19 hours ago, killcomic said:

The same people who have made the decisions that lead them to believe they need to fire 800 people still have their jobs and their piles of money.

This is not about the survival of the business, it’s about making even more obscene amounts of money.

What amazes me is how some people believe that making money is a perfectly legitimate excuse for any shitty thing that gets done by large corporations.

I have no intention of giving Activision a single cent of my money ever again.

Shortly after the Diablo Immortal fiasco I actually uninstalled all my modern Blizzard games and pretty much gave up on the company. 

My reaction wasn't from anger, more of a face palm reaction. I just have no faith that this company will deliver games that the fans actually want to see.

21 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

Shortly after the Diablo Immortal fiasco I actually uninstalled all my modern Blizzard games and pretty much gave up on the company. 

My reaction wasn't from anger, more of a face palm reaction. I just have no faith that this company will deliver games that the fans actually want to see.

Yeah, they are soooooo out of touch. They response was simply priceless too!

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

38 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Yeah, they are soooooo out of touch. They response was simply priceless too!

That's exactly it.

I actually have no issue with a mobile only game (as a sort of spin off of the series) but the fact that they were completely caught off guard after announcing a mobile only Diablo game in front of crowd of PC enthusiasts just shows that have no clue what their fans want anymore.  I'm sure D4 is in development, but I have little faith that it will anything close to the Diablo game I'm hoping for.