Activision-Blizzard Fires 800 staff to cut costs

Juanitology

Looks like Blizzard's strategy of cutting costs while producing more (lower quality) games is finally going into full force

Publisher Activision Blizzard has begun its long-rumored layoff process, informing employees this afternoon that it will be cutting staff. On an earnings call this afternoon, the company said that it would be eliminating 8% of its staff. In 2018, Activision Blizzard had roughly 9,600 employees, which would mean nearly 800 people are now out of work.

Feelsbad for those people who through no fault of their own will find themselves out of work, as well as for those who are staying on and will have to deal with higher stress levels and probably having to choose between delivering work that doesn't meet their standards or overworking themselves to death under Activision-Blizzard's new corporate direction. 

The news follows months of rumors about layoffs at the publisher, which heated up early last week as word began to spread that hundreds of people across Activision Blizzard’s various divisions might lose their jobs. Leading up to today, some of the publisher’s employees had been coming to work with no clue as to what might happen. One person at Blizzard told me this morning that as employees arrived, they cried and exchanged hugs in the parking lot.

What do you think this means for the studios' future game plans? Are we going to see more of a title-churning company instead of the quality we're used to expect from blizzard? 

Edit: source https://kotaku.com/activision-blizzard-begins-massive-layoffs-1832571288

Edited by Juanitology
Source

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

1 minute ago, Juanitology said:

Looks like Blizzard's strategy of cutting costs while producing more (lower quality) games is finally going into full force

Feelsbad for those people who through no fault of their own will find themselves out of work, as well as for those who are staying on and will have to deal with higher stress levels and probably having to choose between delivering work that doesn't meet their standards or overworking themselves to death under Activision-Blizzard's new corporate direction. 

What do you think this means for the studios' future game plans? Are we going to see more of a title-churning company instead of the quality we're used to expect from blizzard? 

every game in the near future will become like overwatch. dying very quickly because of the constant 'balance' changes that ruin the game LOL 

but yeah, i feel very bad for the 800 who now lost jobs. but yeah, blizz just messed up really badly. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

1 minute ago, TH3R34P3R said:

every game in the near future will become like overwatch. dying very quickly because of the constant 'balance' changes that ruin the game LOL 

Pretty much...

In the future, Kotick said Activision-Blizzard will invest primarily in live services, Battle.net, and esports, with a focus on the following franchises: Candy Crush, Call of Duty, Overwatch, Warcraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone. For those franchises, Activision actually expects to increase, not reduce, development resources in 2019.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/activision-blizzard-lays-off-775-people-after-record-results-in-2018/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

800 people laid off? Blizzard, you f**ked up.

The only reasons they would do it imo would be: A. Blizzard are in financial trouble or B. they're just trying to spend as little money as possible.

Either way, Blizzard's games will probably decrease in quality.

Looks like they're going on the path of becoming an EA clone tbh.

The One Question Man

- 800 fired staff, probably

I just imagine someone at Blizzard going

"Aight guys! We did amazing this quarter! Keep up the good work!... oh but I'm gonna have to fire 700 of you. Starting you George."

They're laying off non dev people and are hiring more for dev teams to increase which that is good though. 

https://www.wowhead.com/news=290236/activision-blizzard-quarter-4-2018-earnings-report-8-of-employees-laid-off-in-ye

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Either way, Blizzard's games will probably decrease in quality.

I think it lowered the quality so much that fans couldnt bear (Played and owned d3+exp , overwatch,wow bfa) now you want diablo you go to poe without doubt, want wow (really? wow is messed with gated loot , you only need to play 1 day and wait till next week) and overwatch community seems too young like fortnite :( , just waiting for w3 remastered but not for blizzard, just to play again w3 competitive games :D 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

so... i just saw this same thing on discord... where someone made a joke article about them giving OW loot boxes to every employee. those with a pink "slip" were fired. also saw another article with the same aspect but just IRL with regular plain boxes with a fateful slip. 

thank you for existing discord. 

Rig 1: i7-9700k OC'd to 5.0ghz all core | EVGA XC RTX 2080Ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | ASUS PRIME Z370-P | Asetek 550LC 120mm | ADATA 480GB SSD & Toshiba P300 3TB | Cooler Master Masterbox MB500 | Win 10 Home | Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, G502 Proteus Spectrum, G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Wireless Limited Edition, Corsair MM300 Mouse Pad | 2 MSI Optix Curved 27" FHD Monitors 

(before i sold the WD drive and MSI gpu - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11946219 171 gaming. felt good.)

Rig 2: i7-7700k Stock clocks | MSI Armor GTX 1070 | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8GB | MSI Z270 A-Pro | WD Green 240GB SSD & 2TB Seagate HDD | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition | Win 10 Home | 2 HP Omen FHD 144hz 24.5" Monitors 

Rig 3: i7-6700 | GT 730 & GT 645 OEM | Some random DDR4 2133mhz 2x8gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | WD Black 2TB HDD & Toshiba 1TB HDD | Win 10 Home | 3 27" Dell FHD Monitors 

Rig 4: i7-4770 | EVGA SSC 1050ti | Some random DDR3 ram 2x2gb and 2x4gb sticks | OEM Dell Mobo | Stock Cooler | 1TB WD Black HDD | Win 7 Home 

RIP 

Rig 5 (dead and dismantled and sold) : i7-7820X OC'd to 4.8ghz all core | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 4x8gb | Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO | Asetek 240mm AIO | WD Green 240gb SSD | Other various components that I can't remember

Rig 6 (same fate as rig 5) i7-8700k stock clocks | MSI DUKE 1080ti | ADATA DDR4 2400mhz 2x8gb | MSI Z370 A-Pro | Asetek 550LC 120mm | WD Green 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB HDD | Other various components that I can't Remember 

2 hours ago, Peskanova said:

I think it lowered the quality so much that fans couldnt bear (Played and owned d3+exp , overwatch,wow bfa) now you want diablo you go to poe without doubt, want wow (really? wow is messed with gated loot , you only need to play 1 day and wait till next week) and overwatch community seems too young like fortnite :( , just waiting for w3 remastered but not for blizzard, just to play again w3 competitive games :D 

I find that with overwatch you don't see too many kids once you hit diamond. 

Record revenues but not infinite revenues.

Always more.

Always growth.

This is why the stock market has fucked everything. No one can infinitely grow.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, TH3R34P3R said:

so... i just saw this same thing on discord... where someone made a joke article about them giving OW loot boxes to every employee. those with a pink "slip" were fired. also saw another article with the same aspect but just IRL with regular plain boxes with a fateful slip. 

thank you for existing discord. 

That would fucking hilarious if that was the case. Sad and ironic, but fucking hilarious.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

But execs will still get their fat bonuses at the end of the year.

Hopefully it means going back to release quality games, but I bet that won't be the case. Quality is no longer a requirement in current year

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I never understand why people bother with these one sided stories. There's hardly any real information aside from the writer's opinion. 

What happened to the people being mostly members of non-development team? 

What happened to they are hiring more artists and etc, the real core of what makes a game a game? 

Ya, Activision is a crappy company but that's life, get with it or be left in the dirt.

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

What happened to they are hiring more artists and etc, the real core of what makes a game a game? 

All artists, developers, marketing, networking, PR make a good game, as well as many more jobs. Don't forget Blizzard is probably the number one company involved in e-sports. 

They have made it perfectly clear to all that they intend too move into the mobile gaming market in ASIA. That means china  "From a business point of view thats good business practice, go where the most money is". They also have made it very clear they are going to throw in ALOT MORE microtransactions onto there existing games like, overwatch,wow etc etc. They are basically telling there PC gamer playerbase we dont give a SHIT about you. We only want your money. They made RECORD profits but still decide to sack 800 employees. 

Great company we play our games with and a great company i only wish to join.Hell NO 

Seriously think that someone should do a Valve/Dell mashup: buy out Blizzard from Activision and take it private. Then rehire the old Blizzard execs and developers that quit or were removed. Make whatever you wanna make. ??. Profit.

I see the corporate defenders are still running strong in the LTT forums.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

It makes sense because WoW lost a lot of subs which leads to less support staff needed

Lol they'll hire more chinese devs for their "partnership" for the Diablo mobile game, making "art" for recurring revenue.

Lolol if someone thinks they're going to hire NA Jobs in any real quantity

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

hahahah they need to cut 800 employees since they are ofsourcing dev  to chinese shit companies

“While our financial results for 2018 were the best in our history, we didn’t realize our full potential,” Kotick said in the report. 

What's wrong with corporate america in a nutshell. Biggest profits ever, but the increase this year was not new and exceptional. It's not about profiting, it's not even about increasing profits, it's about increasing profits by a larger margin year over year until you implode. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Despite Activision-Blizzard previously acting relatively independently of each other, I worry that's not the case anymore. I've got this sense that, after the success of Overwatch and the Overwatch League, Activision is expecting to see this sort of success out of Blizzard more regularly, and Blizzard themselves know this won't be possible. It's unfortunate that they've decided the easiest way to cope with drops in revenue is going to be firing all this staff.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.