Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sushimus

If Windows had a rival, would you switch?

If Windows had a real rival would you switch?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. If Windows 10 had a real rival, something that was about as well known or at least more widespread than Linux (sorry linux users) would you switch to that, like if Windows had it's version of AMD? Or do you actually enjoy Windows 10?

• I actually like Win 10
    • If there was a rival with just as much support from other software like steam games I'd love to switch
    • I use a Mac, lol
    • I prefer Linux and wouldn't switch, despite some of the drawbacks

6 minutes ago, wasab said:

What the hell is proton API?

A new emulator (exclusive to the Steam store as Valve was the one who foot the bill) developed in collaboration between WINE, and DXVK. This allows you to emulate 2600+ games on the Steam store in Linux with ease, and better hardware support over WINE. (even though Wine Is Not An Emulator)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

A new emulator (exclusive to the Steam store as Valve was the one who foot the bill) developed in collaboration between WINE, and DXVK. This allows you to emulate 2600+ games on the Steam store with ease.

But....

How does API find its way here?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Check out my guide on creating your own private cloud storage

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

But....

How does API find its way here?

Because reasons, I am sorry but I don't have the time to dabble too much into Linux, and as I am currently busy with other tasks, I skipped fact checking the name beyond the video. ( luckily I am not a reporter)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Because reasons, I am sorry but I don't have the time to dabble too much into Linux, and as I am currently busy with other tasks, I skipped fact checking the name beyond the video.

That's okay. Like gardener, I find it quite funny when Linus mention proton "API" in his video XD

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

That's okay. Like gardener, I find it quite funny when Linus mention proton "API" in his video XD

LOL, yeah, I imagine that a man as busy as Linus has even less time to fact check than I do. ( Maybe we should start a manhunt for the writer that included it!... JK! I make those kinds of mistakes all of the time! If we are going to start a manhunt for anyone it should be me....) 

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

LOL, yeah, I imagine that a man as busy as Linus has even less time to fact check than I do. ( Maybe we should start a manhunt for the writer that included it!... JK! I make those kinds of mistakes all of the time! If we are going to start a manhunt for anyone it should be me....) 

I mean to us seasoned coders, we know API usually stands for application programming interface. We often find it amusing when layman misuses the jargons.  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

I mean to us seasoned coders, we know API usually stands for application programming interface. We often find it amusing when layman misuses the jargons.  

Yeah the farthest I ever got was learning how to make a weird rocket animation with JAVA....... Not pretty.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, wasab said:

Why can't you game on Ubuntu?

Many AAA titles work on proton even GTA V. 

And I even managed to play league of legends on my machine

my ubuntu laptop is a workstation that mainly used as a coding machine, and doesn't have the power to run most games. Whereas my desktop is custom made for gaming and has windows 10 on it. 

1 hour ago, Sgtkeebler said:

my ubuntu laptop is a workstation that mainly used as a coding machine, and doesn't have the power to run most games. Whereas my desktop is custom made for gaming and has windows 10 on it. 

I used Linux for everything. There hasnt been a windows on my computers for three years. That includes gaming. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Posted · Original PosterOP

Not gonna lie, Im kinda surprised at how neck and neck the win 10 and rival votes are

-Undeniably Indie™

I ditched Microsoft for Windows 8.  Not going to vote in the poll because of how loaded the responses are worded.

I mean, if Nautica had a rival clothing manufacturer (not that it does or ever will), would you debase yourself to the point of wearing them?

• Of course not, I would continue to wear Nautica
  • I might occasionally wear something else when mowing the lawn
  • Wait, what about J. Crew?
  • No, I'm one of those rotten stinking filthbags that wears Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, Wrangler, Levi's, Dickies, and occasionally I make my own clothes.  I know, I'll just go over here and beat myself for what I've done.

?

19 hours ago, captain_aggravated said:

Not going to vote in the poll because of how loaded the responses are worded.

Pretty much the same here.  I use Linux more than anything else personally and the Linux option on there doesn't really make sense.  To be honest the whole question doesn't make much sense, what would count as a "real rival"?  Does it have to be something that aims for binary compatibility like ReactOS or do they only care about shear market share?  As I (and anyone else using Linux or MacOS) is already using an alternative to Windows what is our reason for switching to this theoretical rival?

6 minutes ago, Koeshi said:

Pretty much the same here.  I use Linux more than anything else personally and the Linux option on there doesn't really make sense.  To be honest the whole question doesn't make much sense, what would count as a "real rival"?  Does it have to be something that aims for binary compatibility like ReactOS or do they only care about shear market share?  As I (and anyone else using Linux or MacOS) is already using an alternative to Windows what is our reason for switching to this theoretical rival?

A real rival would need significant market share, software adoption, and would need to be something you might hear in a household. MacOS doesn't have the marketshare, and nobody aside from more enthusiast minded people know what linux is or how to use it. It'd need to be able to push microsoft the same way AMD pushes intel to stay on their toes. And reasoning for switching I guess doesn't apply to you since you're already sated but for the average person who is frustrated with windows, can't afford a mac (nor wants one), and finds linux daunting this would be their other choice rather than being stuck. I'm not speaking for myself but I know plenty of people who feel this way about windows.

-Undeniably Indie™

That would entirely depend on what that OS actually is... I use Linux because I think it's better than Windows, not just because I don't want to use Windows for arbitrary reasons... the problem isn't the name Windows.

On 2/13/2019 at 3:28 PM, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

Just a fun thought, I don't actually expect Microsoft's monopoly on OS's to end anytime soon. And you could argue Linux I guess but it's not nearly as intuitive and there's too many flavours (Which is good and bad) for the common pc user to really know what to do, hense why I didn't call it a real rival. It just doesn't compete in the way I'm talking about.

If it were just like Windows, would it matter who made it? Competition makes sense between different products that do things differently, otherwise it's just a war of the clones.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

That would entirely depend on what that OS actually is... I use Linux because I think it's better than Windows, not just because I don't want to use Windows for arbitrary reasons... the problem isn't the name Windows.

If it were just like Windows, would it matter who made it? Competition makes sense between different products that do things differently, otherwise it's just a war of the clones.

I haven't really thought about what the os would entale, more of just the idea. I guess I had something like Ubuntu or something in mind but even more user friendly and more widespread. I dunno what it'd need, haven't really fleshed it out

-Undeniably Indie™

5 minutes ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

more user friendly

Well, what do you mean with "user friendly"? If you mean "intuitive", that largely depends on what the user is used to. Use Windows for decades and you'll consider it intuitive regardless of how intuitive it actually is. No complex UI is entirely self explanatory, if you had never used a computer you wouldn't know where to start regardless of OS.

You can probably see what this means - as long as Windows is the default system used in schools and businesses, anything that does things differently will be seen as less intuitive or "user friendly" by the average user. MacOS manages to partly avoid this obstacle thanks to Apple's heavy marketing and word of mouth, which convinces some users to give it a chance even if it's not immediately familiar to them.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well, what do you mean with "user friendly"? If you mean "intuitive", that largely depends on what the user is used to. Use Windows for decades and you'll consider it intuitive regardless of how intuitive it actually is. No complex UI is entirely self explanatory, if you had never used a computer you wouldn't know where to start regardless of OS.

You can probably see what this means - as long as Windows is the default system used in schools and businesses, anything that does things differently will be seen as less intuitive or "user friendly" by the average user. MacOS manages to partly avoid this obstacle thanks to Apple's heavy marketing and word of mouth, which convinces some users to give it a chance even if it's not immediately familiar to them.

I kinda get that arguement but going from windows to macos is alot easier than windows to linux, I guess it would need to have an organized layout and be able to be navigated easily via mouse

Edit: I can't really think of some main differences because my classmates are being very loud but Ill think on it and try to flesh the idea out abit

-Undeniably Indie™

Is Windows perfect? No. Are alternatives (MacOS, Linux) better? In some ways, maybe, but not all.

This is all about the positives and negatives. As much there is I dislike about Win10, switching to others to avoid those would give me different problems which are currently even bigger. Win10 is the least pain OS, and will remain my main until that changes.

It is kinda like politics, I don't like any of the choices, but if forced, I end up picking the least worst one.

Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR system: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

2 minutes ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

I kinda get that arguement but going from windows to macos is alot easier than windows to linux

Is it? The only extra obstacle something like Ubuntu has is the installation process since macOS is just preinstalled on your mac.

4 minutes ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

I guess it would need to have an organized layout and be able to be navigated easily via mouse

Ubuntu has had that for years, how is it not organized or hard to navigate with a mouse? There are also distros that look and feel almost exactly the same as macOS, like deepin:

Spoiler

image.png.6159e5a310e5d3bb6d58e436fe7f8a86.png

image.png.cb023b0436cfe6bb010ff47c8a67fafb.png

image.png.369be1570b7abac8d1b7a87aede8b606.png

I doubt your grandma would know the difference if you gave her a Mac with this on it. It's a myth that Linux distros have ugly or disfunctional UIs, are inherently hard to use or don't work without messing with the terminal. Compatibility is a much more valid complaint, but alas that will never be solved until it's more widespread.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Is it? The only extra obstacle something like Ubuntu has is the installation process since macOS is just preinstalled on your mac.

Ubuntu has had that for years, how is it not organized or hard to navigate with a mouse? There are also distros that look and feel almost exactly the same as macOS, like deepin:

Hide contents

I doubt your grandma would know the difference if you gave her a Mac with this on it. It's a myth that Linux distros have ugly or disfunctional UIs, are inherently hard to use or don't work without messing with the terminal. Compatibility is a much more valid complaint, but alas that will never be solved until it's more widespread.

Im not saying linux is ugly or something, personally I love the way Ubuntu looks but most users won't know how to enter commands or want to learn and there are too many flavours of linux for the average person to try to understand which one to use. I'm not trying to bash linux but because of the amount of flavours and low adoption of linux for general users I don't see it becoming as widespread as we'd need. I guess imagine your favourite flavour os linux but without the terminal and widespread support until I can have time to think about what a good and different os layout would be

-Undeniably Indie™

Can't vote.... I know Linux pretty well, from work and having multiboot for decades... I am using Win 7, have installed win 10 to all people I know, but dislike windows 10, as is more restricting than any previous Windowses.  My option would be "I dislike Windows 10 ( but I don't hate it, not even a close "feeling" to that), would use something equivalent, compatible with ALL current professional software" (is what only stops me to use Linux, indeed, as a pro freelance).  IE, an updated Windows 7. Though Windows 10 has some nice memory and performance enhancements (actually since win 8.1), very relevant to my work,  and other tech advantages.  My hope is MS ends up cleaning the cr4p at some point from Win 10, and stops the nightmare with the messy updates.... I might as well wait for long, lol.

EDIT: I would also need professional aspects of Windows and Mac OS you don't have that easy and complete in Linux, and you don't have at all in iOS or Android : Serious, profesional grade color calibrating of the system, devices, etc, by using hardware color calibration, profiles, etc.  Also, I use win 7 currently mostly as have a very complex setup, and a ton of work projects depend on many installed stuff and fine tuned system configuration. Can't loose 4 days in mounting all software and system stuff exactly as I need.

55 minutes ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

Im not saying linux is ugly or something, personally I love the way Ubuntu looks but most users won't know how to enter commands or want to learn and there are too many flavours of linux for the average person to try to understand which one to use. I'm not trying to bash linux but because of the amount of flavours and low adoption of linux for general users I don't see it becoming as widespread as we'd need. I guess imagine your favourite flavour os linux but without the terminal and widespread support until I can have time to think about what a good and different os layout would be 

What has entering commands in CLI to do with Linux usage?

You say most of the time people will just open programs and install them and you can do that by just searching into the ubuntu store, if you got confused about people using CLI apt-get it's just a shortcut to not waste time

41 minutes ago, PixelPol said:

EDIT: I would also need professional aspects of Windows and Mac OS you don't have that easy and complete in Linux, and you don't have at all in iOS or Android : Serious, profesional grade color calibrating of the system, devices, etc, by using hardware color calibration, profiles, etc.  Also, I use win 7 currently mostly as have a very complex setup, and a ton of work projects depend on many installed stuff and fine tuned system configuration. Can't loose 4 days in mounting all software and system stuff exactly as I need.

Btw I had a positive experience with this, using https://displaycal.net/

1 hour ago, ActuallyMediocreOC said:

I know what you mean, I'm saying that there can't be a more direct competitor to Windows. Windows is popular because it is widespread, and that's pretty much it. It's a self fueling monopoly. There is nothing Linux distros could do to fight it on its own ground because they don't have a monopoly. If any existing distro had exactly 50% of the market the problem would solve itself, but they can't get there because they don't have a wide enough install base. The only way to inject a competitor into the market would be to have it work and feel exactly like windows, then give it away or sell it at a much lower price - and at that point you might as well just use Windows if you already have it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Btw I had a positive experience with this, using https://displaycal.net/

Nice, thank you.  :)  I will dig it. I know ways to go for it, like Little CMS. I just hope it'd improve in usability, make it ready in a more standard way, and that.  :) It was some time ago that had to deal with it, though.