LG Wallpaper Dimming Problema

DanJonWig

Good morning,

based in part on the LinusMedia video, I bought an LG wallpaper display as a second monitor in my office for meetings. It seems to have a critical flaw: even with all the dynamic contrast, brightness, and power save features we can find disabled, it still dims the whole panel every time the overall brightness goes over a threshold. In practice, this means that, when scrolling a document, when looking at an all-text portion, the monitor is dim, and as soon as we scroll to a portion with a figure, the panel gets brighter. This creates a crazy strobe effect while scrolling, and makes it totally unusable as a monitor.

LG support is terrible. I have 7 days left to return this thing; has anyone figured out how to make it stop this behaviour? 

Thank you for the thoughtful response. 

We we have turned off every auto brightness, power save, etc. 

Ambient light sensor is interesting. We’ve mounted the separate driver/sound bar thing under the desk. I’ll have to experiment a bit to see what can change.

we have noticed that if we turn the overall brightness down, this relative dimming stops happening, it seems to be some sort of absolute rather than relative threshold. 

ABL is hard coded unfortunatly. As far as im aware their is no way of disabling it.

it can be reduced via lowering the brightness however, as has been mentioned.

Try setting contrast to 80 and brightness to somwhere between 50 and 80 and see how that does. There are some reports of these settings hekping reduce ABL.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |