Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spotty

The Verge: How we built a copyright strike

image.thumb.png.9b33ec385e4370ab52125ab2c87e4013.png

https://twitter.com/bitwitkyle/status/1095941247124963331

For those who wish to watch Bitwits video, here it is.

4 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

I like how The Verge called "Lyre" racist without actually doing research on Kyle's background. Just google "Bitwit Kyle race" and you'd see Kyle's grandparents, who are clearly Asian... Some journalist indeed lol

You don't expect journalists to do actual journalistic work, do you?
Like googling the Target, before calling it racist, sexist, homophob, trump supporter.

I mean in other instances they couldn't even be bothered to look at a video, what really happened before writing their hit pieces. Just because one of the people there happened to have a red hat on his head...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

33 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You don't expect journalists to do actual journalistic work, do you?
Like googling the Target, before calling it racist, sexist, homophob, trump supporter.

I mean in other instances they couldn't even be bothered to look at a video, what really happened before writing their hit pieces. Just because one of the people there happened to have a red hat on his head...

It’s reminding me of the “controversy” about the Anime Rise of the Shield Hero.

”Journalists” claiming the author is a misogynistic woman hater; that likely can’t get a woman.

Yet the author is a woman; and in Japan and outside of the US there is no controversy at all. 

5820K 4.0GHz | NH D15S | 32 GB RAM | Titan V | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

But I would still like to double check that other people are seeing the same time.

On the embedded twitter post here on the forum, I see 2:02 AM - Feb 14, 2019

If I hover on it, I see Feb 14th 07:02:09 (UTC)
🤔

If I consider that I'm on eastern time(GMT-5), if Nalay that sent his first email at 2:15... he's technically 13 minutes late, if he's also on the eastcoast. (Unless he screwed up his timezone settings... which isn't hard to do. Heck, Twitter was in GMT-6 central for me just now and literally only just noticed because of looking this post up on twitter and it was showing 1:02am)

CPU: Intel Core i7 875k / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB  / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-e LX / SSD: Intel 520 120GB / Case: Cooler Master HAF912 / PSU: Corsair TX850w / OS: Windows 10 Pro

32 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

It’s reminding me of the “controversy” about the Anime Rise of the Shield Hero.

”Journalists” claiming the author is a misogynistic woman hater; that likely can’t get a woman.

Yet the author is a woman; and in Japan and outside of the US there is no controversy at all. 

I thought the author's gender wasn't actually known. The other major point though is the novel and light novel all started in 2012/2013 well before any of the current social commentary on that type of thing so, timeline wise, has zero to do with that. If any of the people that wrote criticisms of the anime actually bothered to watch it, not judged it on a single episode or single event in a single episode, they could have avoided making utter fools of themselves because the actual plot and issue the story is covering aligns with some of what people are bitching about for the last few years, without being a dick about it. I've watched the first 6 episodes and it's fine, there is literally only a single female directly portrayed as a bad person..... lets ignore all the others in it that aren't.

I forget which comedian it was that said Twitter needs a slap feature that costs $1000, a hand comes out of the screen and slaps the person. I'd be down a few thousand well spent dollars. The faces of Vox and Verge staff would also be well slapped, hopefully enough to shut up.

11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If I consider that I'm on eastern time(GMT-5), if Nalay that sent his first email at 2:15... he's technically 13 minutes late, if he's also on the eastcoast. (Unless he screwed up his timezone settings... which isn't hard to do. Heck, Twitter was in GMT-6 central for me just now and literally only just noticed because of looking this post up on twitter and it was showing 1:02am)

this comment brought to you by World Clock Pro Mobile for iOS

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I forget which comedian it was that said Twitter needs a slap feature that costs $1000, a hand comes out of the screen and slaps the person. I'd be down a few thousand well spent dollars. The faces of Vox and Verge staff would also be well slapped, hopefully enough to shut up.

inb4 indiegogo slap campaigns, LOL

45 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Hear hear! I just watched the show also; mostly because of the fuss around it. Not bad at all; and handles some topics well. 

I wonder if these “journalists” ever read Berserk also? :P

The orignal light novel for Rise of the Shield Hero was written by Aneko Yusagi.

Not a common name, so could be a Pen name also.

5820K 4.0GHz | NH D15S | 32 GB RAM | Titan V | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

On the embedded twitter post here on the forum, I see 2:02 AM - Feb 14, 2019

If I hover on it, I see Feb 14th 07:02:09 (UTC)
🤔

Spoiler

I tweeted to Bitwit at 05:29:56 (UTC) that the video was back online, so it was restored before then and was already up for a few hours before Kyle tweeted about it at 7:02:09 (UTC). That adds at least an extra 1.5 hours before Nilay Patels emails.

I really wish I could let this go, but Nilay Patel put so much emphasis on the timeline of events and has multiple times on both twitter and in the written article on The Verge claimed that there was no involvement from YouTube regarding the claim, and that it was his decision for the copyright strike to be removed from the video. Yet the evidence he keeps posting to try and support his claims doesn't support the claims he is making.

[Tinfoil hat on] (It just works!)
If the timestamp on the email that Nilay Patel keeps providing as proof is correct, then that means there was 13 minutes between Kyles tweet and Nilay Patel contacting Youtube to retract the claim. It really looks like Nilay Patel saw Bitwits tweet that the video was restored, and then as soon as he saw it he immediately wrote that email to YouTube requesting the copyright strike be retracted, only so that he could then try to save face and pretend like it was his decision all along for the copyright strike/takedown notice to be removed.
[Tinfoil hat off]

Nilay Patel hasn't yet responded to me on twitter, however I'm not the only one asking these questions.
Brandon from Thisistechtoday.com has also directed the same question to Nilay Patel as well. (Click the embedded tweet to go to the full chain of tweets as there are several)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

-snip-

Watched Bitwits house vlog the other day. It's absolutely amazing how different the property looks after a few basic renovations! When he did the first walk through the house was absolutely hideous, however just after ripping out the (BLUE!) carpet, laying some nice floor boards (or, fake floor boards I should say), and a bit of paint the place is looking much better already, and I'm sure there will still be a lot of work to be done still.

I hope the home studio situation works out well for him. Might be a bit hard to adjust to a home studio after working out of a dedicated office space.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

28 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Might be a bit hard to adjust to a home studio after working out of a dedicated office space.

two ways to go south:

• "meeeeeehhhh this can waiiiiitttttzzzzzzz"
  • "meh sleep can wait"

The verge are essentially the gold standard of modern day millennial bullshit. When are people going to grow a thicker skin and be able to take criticism again? You released a shitty video with poor implementation. Admit it and move on. All these asshurt desperate attempts to hide what took place accomplish is to have the opposite effect and attract even more attention.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Wow. Just wow. Have you seen some of the stuff the staff/managers of VOX/Verge are posting on twitter, all the while saying *they* are being bullied? It's like the kid (I knew of at least one) who would pretend to be "dumb", call people names, take their stuff, push them, pinch them, then when they got a slap in the face run crying to the teacher that the others "bullied them". Nah, they just made sure they were never caught or had excuses for their actions, and anyone taking action or talking them out of their self destruction and wantant attacks on others was labeled a "bully".

Yeah, those people have deep down problems. I hope they get help. But where they are right now? Not helpful to them. They need to get out of that toxic business, and into something productive and socially constructive.

17 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Wow. Just wow. Have you seen some of the stuff the staff/managers of VOX/Verge are posting on twitter, all the while saying *they* are being bullied?

Mind sharing some links?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  How to build a gaming PC for $400US or less   |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Mind sharing some links?

use your eyes

/s

PSU Tier List

PCs and other things:

Spoiler

Current PC

CPU: AMD A8-6600k (@4.2Ghz)

GPU: GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX

Motherboard: GA-F2A78M-HD2 

RAM: 8gb Patriot DDR3-1600mhz

Storage: Samsung 830 EVO 120gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM 

PSU: SeaSonicM12II 620w (I wish I didn't buy this)

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB 

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP

Spoiler

New PC (getting parts)

CPU: i7-8086k [✓]

Cooling: EVGA CLC 280 RGB [✓]

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti 8gb FTW2 iCX [✓]

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO [✓]

RAM: XPG SPEXTRIX X41 2666mhz (Grey) [✓]

Storage: T-Force Delta 250gb, WD Blue 1tb 7200RPM [✓]

PSU: 650w+ and ranked well

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

Peripherals: Logitech G305//Corsair K55 RGB [✓]

Displays: Asus MG248QR//Dell 1905FP [✓]

Extra: Sky blue front panel, sky blue cable extensions [✓]

Spoiler

Other

Phone: Huawei Mate 10 Lite (China steal my data???)

Dog: Irish Water Spaniel, Lucy, 9 years old (I didn't know what to write)

School Laptop: Acer Chromebook R11 ((less RAM than my phone)

21 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Mind sharing some links?

Nah. At this point I can only conceive they are Google/Twitter/Youtube word spamming, and knew this controversy would get their name plastered on the search lists and ad revenue up for the day (generate drama to generate clicks).

Sad thing is, I think the staff fully believe what they are posting. They are that un self aware.

PS, I'm gonna remind myself to donate to GamersNexus, because the Verg posts to him were heartless. Yeah, he had fun with the mechanical errors of the build, he was respectful to people and honest. And wow, they called for him to "make something positive". Like, they should watch his life story blog video. Most positive Tech Tuber I've seen out there! (No downers to the others, and some have bounced back from homelessness in fires, multiple tubers, or loss of jobs etc).

9 hours ago, Hellion said:

The verge are essentially the gold standard of modern day millennial bullshit. When are people going to grow a thicker skin and be able to take criticism again? You released a shitty video with poor implementation. Admit it and move on. All these asshurt desperate attempts to hide what took place accomplish is have the opposite effect and attract even more attention.

Millennial here...

I agree completely.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Congratulations, Vox 

You have, once again, proved that you're absolutely worthless and a waste of advertising dollars 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

On 2/13/2019 at 11:57 PM, mr moose said:

I don't know what they would use, hence why I said earlier that surely a lawyer has looked into this.  I just haven't seen any yet. 

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if because they have monetized the whole system that they are no longer entitled to the "internet service" status and would be legally considered a publisher.  You know what would happen to a book publisher if they published a book that turned out to be word for word the same as "gone with the wind"?    I wouldn't be at all surprised if it gets a lot more messy before it gets any better.

There’s a certain hilarious irony here. 

Gone with the wind entered Public Domain in 1999 in Australia. 

So if it was an Australian publisher not selling in the US market? It’d be 100% legal. 

US (largely due to lobbying from the Luke’s of Disney, etc) won’t enter public domain there until 2031. 

For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

There’s a certain hilarious irony here. 

Gone with the wind entered Public Domain in 1999 in Australia. 

So if it was an Australian publisher not selling in the US market? It’d be 100% legal. 

US (largely due to lobbying from the Luke’s of Disney, etc) won’t enter public domain there until 2031. 

I didn't know it was public domain, I was just trying to think of a book everyone would know.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

21 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Mind sharing some links?

Just going to leave this here ...

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 1x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

The Community StandardsPSU Tier list | PSU Whitelist

16 minutes ago, Mayushii said:

That is just so moronically ironic my god.

And arrogance, this guy has no self awareness and seems to have double standards (he can criticise, but when he's on the receiving end, it's harassment) :

NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 1x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

The Community StandardsPSU Tier list | PSU Whitelist