Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VenomZ_

Benchmark hard drive how to go on about it

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I had a 1tb ssd for this purpose filled with games to test sandy bridge dell optiplex Systems and also using it as personal. However games are getting bigger as time goes on and my ssd is almost full as well. I need a type of setup which will have decent speed for these older systems booting into windows and all that I can just hot swap with my personal build like I was doing before. Really want to avoid the 2 sata hard drive situation for benchmarks. Perhaps I should get a 2tb regular hdd and call it a day eh

I do have a 1tb usb3.0 external drive  however most if not all the systems I have dont support usb 3.0 and i think it will be painfully slow 

PC Specs: 

CPU - intel i7 4790k up to 4.4GHz (Read more for BEAST GPU)

EVGA GTX 970 SSC

Mobo - ASRock H97M Anniversary   

Storage - 250GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Blue

BEAST GPU vv (old)

Spoiler

GPU - MSI RX 460 2GB sike ya'll thought The 4790k would get an equal match

You could just grab another 1TB SSD? It's unlikely, but there are a few games that will have performance issues on a HDD. Would probably be fine as a game drive though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

You could just grab another 1TB SSD? It's unlikely, but there are a few games that will have performance issues on a HDD. Would probably be fine as a game drive though.

Really not willing to drop that much money again man you think external usb 2.0 1tb will give issue if I just have my steam library on it  will it be real slow i think though 

PC Specs: 

EVGA GTX 970 SSC

BEAST GPU vv (old)

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

Really not willing to drop that much money again man you think external usb 2.0 1tb will give issue if I just have my steam library on it  will it be real slow i think though 

That's going to cause an issue. Almost any game that dynamically loads textures (literally every open world game, and many not-open-world-games) will drop performance or stutter with a USB 2 drive. USB 2 is 60 MB/s, less than 1/3 the speed of a decent HDD. USB 3/3.1 might work though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Just now, BobVonBob said:

That's going to cause an issue. Almost any game that dynamically loads textures (literally every open world game, and many not-open-world-games) will drop performance or stutter with a USB 2 drive. USB 2 is 60 MB/s, less than 1/3 the speed of a decent HDD. USB 3/3.1 might work though.

Yeah that's the problem we're talking sandy bridge here lol no usb 3 support what do you reckon is an inexpensive way to go on about this 

PC Specs: 

EVGA GTX 970 SSC

BEAST GPU vv (old)

Spoiler

Just now, VenomZ_ said:

Yeah that's the problem we're talking sandy bridge here lol no usb 3 support what do you reckon is an inexpensive way to go on about this 

PCIe to USB 3?

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Controller-Internal-Connector/dp/B00JFR2H64/

Although at that point you may as well just be using a SATA drive since you have to open it up anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Laptop:

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

PCIe to USB 3?

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Controller-Internal-Connector/dp/B00JFR2H64/

Although at that point you may as well just be using a SATA drive since you have to open it up anyway.

True suppose I shall buy a 2tb sata then I'll miss the speeds of the ssd but all good things come to an end

PC Specs: 

EVGA GTX 970 SSC

BEAST GPU vv (old)

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

True suppose I shall buy a 2tb sata then I'll miss the speeds of the ssd but all good things come to an end

definitely get Pci > usb3.0 by all means (~$3) 

to pair with SEAGATE portable drive, because you can reuse the case for ssd upgrade in future.

tried booting a game from usb 2.0 is like hell, 2~3 minutes or more to load up a recent game (ffxv/ nier) and still noticeable loading lags while ingame