Do i need a UPS ??? If yes, which one ???

Wolfgang_Rush

I live in a small town of Chandrapur where there are interrupted power cuts sometimes. It's random.

So During gaming sometimes the lights go out. 

I am scared that it will affect my hardware negatively...  If it doesn't affect then it is fine... but 

If it does ...

if yes... how do I choose a UPS ???

which one is recommended ???

I have 

Ryzen 2600x 

RTX 2060

16 GB RAM

550 WATT PSU

2 TB HDD

500 GB SSD

It doesn't affect your hardware, worst case it will corrupt windows and you will need to clean install.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It will protect your data the most.

Its worth it if you don’t like losing data.

If you can deal with minor data loss and have sufficient regular backups to restore from then don’t bother.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

maybe just dont update your bios as it can brick it, im pretty sure theres something like a external power supply or something which i think you should get if you want to update your bios.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

I don't think they're worth the extra cost. For most under $200 you're going to get maybe, maybe 20 minutes of 'safe' time, which is good if you are sitting at your computer but not very useful if you're not sitting at your computer and the power takes more than that time to come back. Just save often and backup everything often

6 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

I don't think they're worth the extra cost. For most under $200 you're going to get maybe, maybe 20 minutes of 'safe' time,

I agree if it only happens once in a blue moon.  However if you get regular interruptions a UPS is very much worth its money, even if you only get like 5 minutes.  If the power drops out while you are writing to disk, the file you were writing will be corrupted.  If it happens while your PC is doing updates, you may end up having to reinstall the entire OS.

What psu do you have , because a 550 w psu can be perfect for you or even the killer of your pc :( , I have those power cuts , ripped me 2 or 3 psu's 2 mobos + 1 gpu  -> 4 years so I bought a 650w psu for 140€ that has 10 years warranty and tons of surge protections. 140€ is expensive but if you think 14 euros per year for a psu with warranty , Its better for my anxiety XD (every day I'm less scared turning on my pc)

This is far better for you than a psu:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Platinum-Warranty-220-P2-0650-X1/dp/B010HWDPKW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1550071208&sr=8-2&keywords=evga+650+p2

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

7 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

I don't think they're worth the extra cost. For most under $200 you're going to get maybe, maybe 20 minutes of 'safe' time, which is good if you are sitting at your computer but not very useful if you're not sitting at your computer and the power takes more than that time to come back. Just save often and backup everything often

When a computer is connected to a UPS windows detects it as being battery powered. 

When the power is interrupted, Windows detects the low battery and shuts down the system safely. Most work will autosave within that time (or Windows will save it before shutting down) and all work will be recoverable. 

A UPS is super convenient even if it just gives you a couple of minutes for a safe shut down command to be sent rather than an immediate power-off.

Agree with what @Dredgy said.  You can buy an entry level UPS under $100 or even $50.  Configure Windows to turn off itself after 2 or 3 minutes when it is on battery power.  That way, your computer will perform a graceful shutdown when power loss.

It is a good investment for your electronics.