Looking to repaste Predator Helios 300 (15.6")

1 hour ago, bindydad123 said:

I do not recommend changing the mounting pressure. You can brick your motherboard with too much mounting pressure.  

The problem now is, the mounting pressure is too low at the north side compare to the other side (south)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

24 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

The problem now is, the mounting pressure is too low at the north side compare to the other side (south)

Can claim warranty? Maybe you can tell SC that heatsink faulty. 

1 hour ago, bindydad123 said:

Told the service team before but they rejected

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

6 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

I do not recommend changing the mounting pressure. You can brick your motherboard with too much mounting pressure.  

Which is mentioned above several times. It is a very very risky process, on some models (mostly clevo) it will aid with poor qc on the factory thermal solution. He mentioned shimming the cpu first, which greatly increases mounting pressure.

Modifying a laptop in any from is a risky process. I usually advise against it.

7 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I've considered that but I have no idea how to do it

Yes the spread pattern is bad, I can notice that. Probably due to low mounting pressure at north side of CPU

Honestly at that point I would start hunting for a new heatsink. If the spread pattern favors one side you are literally asking for trouble by shimming or increasing pressure. Again anything you do is at your own risk.

5 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

If he has had the heatsink and factory tim off, his warranty is void.

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

a new heatsink

But how. The warranty guy declined to replace a new heatsink.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

But how. The warranty guy declined to replace a new heatsink.

That's because you removed it. Kind of sucks, but can be considered user damage at this point. You can ask the service department to purchase one, which most likely will be refused.

Usually stuck trying to find a used one, which I will admit is probably harder in your location and may or may not be better than what you have.

You can modify what you have at your own risk via lapping, shimming, or changing mounting pressure, but you are playing with fire. Especially with that rigid cooler design.

At this point it pretty much comes down to live with it, or sell it and buy something else.

59 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

That's because you removed it.

Nope. The service guy told me that I can do repaste by my own. The problem is the warranty team need a valid reason in order to change the heatsink. If I explain to them, they seem like don't know anything about tech and don't quite understand what I'm talking about (eg uneven core temps)

lapping, shimming, or changing mounting pressure

I will try changing thermal pad first (if they are too thick). If it doesn't work then I'll consider these except for lapping which I think doesn't do much

sell it and buy something else

I sold my Y520 in order to get this Y530 not long ago bcoz I need 144Hz display for cheap. I've asked other users in local forums and they said they didn't have this issue

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Nope. The service guy told me that I can do repaste by my own. The problem is the warranty team need a valid reason in order to change the heatsink. If I explain to them, they seem like don't know anything about tech and don't quite understand what I'm talking about (eg uneven core temps)

I will try changing thermal pad first (if they are too thick). If it doesn't work then I'll consider these except for lapping which I think doesn't do much

I sold my Y520 in order to get this Y530 not long ago bcoz I need 144Hz display for cheap. I've asked other users in local forums and they said they didn't have this issue

I mean even if they say you can repaste, the heat sinks really aren't designed to be removed and reused. They are super flimsy and easy to warp during the removal process. It is unlikely they would replace the heatsink and even more unlikely they would honor a warranty repair at this point.

All of the modifications carry a heavy risk of cracking the die. Definitely at your own risk and I would practice with older devices you dont care about.

You seem to have it backwards. By shimming the core you are halving the ability of the thermal paste to do its job by using two layers. You are drastically increasing mounting pressure and this is the most likely method to result in damage. Even if it works a thick layer of cheap thermal paste would be more efficient. Shimming really isnt relevant anymore.

Increasing mounting pressure when the heatsink is not perfectly flat WILL result in damage. It may help for a while, but uneven pressure on a fragile die never ends well.

Lapping at least in the case of a laptop is using coloured thermal grease and pressure paper in conjunction with sandpaper to restore a flat mounting surface. This will make the largest difference.

Even though you sold your y520 to get this, your best solution may still be to pawn the issue off.

• 3 weeks later...

IM using arctic mx4 and its fine. 

Repasted a year ago and did it again just today and its sweet :)