Looking to repaste Predator Helios 300 (15.6")

Specs:

• I7-7700 HQ, undervolted 140mv
  • 16GB DDR4
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

So my predator has been heating up a LOT, going over 90C on CPU and 85C on GPU when playing games, sometimes at only 50% usage. Since it is getting dangerously close to it's safe limit, and is uncomfortable to play on,  I have decided to repaste it. Link to video I'll be following. I want to use this thermal paste, but I am wondering whether I should also replace the thermal pads. Since I have no clue what the **** I am doing, I'm a bit confused on whether I should replace them or not. Also, there seem to be 2 different thermal pad thicknesses (1mm & 1.5mm), do I need to buy separate thicknesses? Or should I just use the thicker ones. Also, what size should I buy, 145x145mm or 50x50mm? Thermal pads.(slightly unrelated) I have been doing quite a bit if work in AE lately, and the previews are very choppy ( 5-10 fps) at half res, sometimes dropping as low as 1fps. My GPU is barely being used, CPU @ 70% ish, and i have noticed that the disk AE is on seems to be on 100% usage. Since this is probably where the bottleneck is coming from, how can i fix it? Or at least improve it

Any help would be much appreciated.

Screenshot (131).png

Don't use MX-4, use any of these:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/which-thermal-paste-to-buy-and-apply-traditional-and-liquid-metal.806840/

If you really wish to replace thermal pad, check the thickness of the original ones first

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Don't use MX-4, use any of these:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/which-thermal-paste-to-buy-and-apply-traditional-and-liquid-metal.806840/

If you really wish to replace thermal pad, check the thickness of the original ones first

I thought that MX-4 and thermal grizzly only gave a few degree difference, and TG is a lot more expensive. Also, will 1g be enough for the CPU and GPU?

1 hour ago, EternalClickbait said:

MX-4

not suitable in laptops because it can dry up quickly due to low mounting pressure

TG Kryonaut also will not work in warped heatsink, and it's expensive. Only get it if you have a good heatsink and max thermal performance (for non-conductive paste)

1g is more than enough

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

59 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

not suitable in laptops because it can dry up quickly due to low mounting pressure

TG Kryonaut also will not work in warped heatsink, and it's expensive. Only get it if you have a good heatsink and max thermal performance (for non-conductive paste) 

1g is more than enough

So should I use TG kryonaut? Don't think my heatsink is warped, but how do i check in case

3 hours ago, EternalClickbait said:

So should I use TG kryonaut?

Sure

3 hours ago, EternalClickbait said:

Don't think my heatsink is warped, but how do i check in case

Uneven core temps caused by uneven mounting pressure

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

It's usually just good practice to assume your heatsink is warped in a laptop. By all means if you have the time to test and repaste multiple times go for it. If not assume it is warped and use a viscous paste.

Mx4 pumps out faster than anything I've ever tried. 1-2 weeks. It is fine for ihs, but suffers in bare die application.

As for thermal pads have some on hand in case a few rip as you remove the heatsink, but as a general rule I would leave them alone.

I will add if you want to test the contact of your heatsink you can use pressure paper. Innovation cooling has a kit for around 20 usd.

They also did a test a while back where they had users report their contact pattern and the vast majority were not perfectly flat.

9 hours ago, markr54632 said:

It's usually just good practice to assume your heatsink is warped in a laptop. By all means if you have the time to test and repaste multiple times go for it. If not assume it is warped and use a viscous paste. 

Mx4 pumps out faster than anything I've ever tried. 1-2 weeks. It is fine for ihs, but suffers in bare die application.

As for thermal pads have some on hand in case a few rip as you remove the heatsink, but as a general rule I would leave them alone.

What sort of paste should I use then? As i said before, i am a complete noob at this, so what does IHS mean?

Edit: is IC diamond good to use?

Edited by EternalClickbait

40 minutes ago, EternalClickbait said:

What sort of paste should I use then? As i said before, i am a complete noob at this, so what does IHS mean?

Edit: is IC diamond good to use?

The topic genesis_x posted is a good read albeit 20 pages long. 

I've used ic diamond with very good longevity results. It is not the best performer albeit within a degree or two of everything else. Two of the laptops for my networking lab have had it for over 2 years with no appreciable performance difference.

There are a couple from that thread I wouldn't mind trying namely gelid xtreme and cooler master maker gel.

Using not ideal thermal paste won't harm a system. It's just that it's not recommended. 

However, I've been informed that disassembling the Helios 300 is quite complicated compared to competitors. 

6 hours ago, markr54632 said:

The topic genesis_x posted is a good read albeit 20 pages long

I've used ic diamond with very good longevity results. It is not the best performer albeit within a degree or two of everything else. Two of the laptops for my networking lab have had it for over 2 years with no appreciable performance difference.

There are a couple from that thread I wouldn't mind trying namely gelid xtreme and cooler master maker gel.

Actually I'm looking for some paste that can fix the bad heatsink problem in my Y530...unfortunately IC Diamond isn't available in my country unless I buy from importers

Mastergel Maker Nano can dry out easily in warped heatsink, just like TG Kryonaut

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Actually I'm looking for some paste that can fix the bad heatsink problem in my Y530...unfortunately IC Diamond isn't available in my country unless I buy from importers

Mastergel Maker Nano can dry out easily in warped heatsink, just like TG Kryonaut

Ic diamond excels in that situation! There are definitely negatives such as it etches the heatsink, and it scratches the die when removed. It excels at wonky low pressure mounting. It may be worth it if the import fees aren't insane.

Have you tried ceramique yet? 

54 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Have you tried ceramique yet? 

Not available too.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Not available too.

Have you considered lapping?

I've really been waiting for the new carbonaut to become available. If you can get thermal grizzly products it may be a good answer. Or wait until someone on notebook review figures out who manafactures it.

I do keep mx4 and nth1 for the occasional desktop.

5 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Have you considered lapping?

I'm considering applying copper shim and replacing the thermal pads on the north side of CPU to thinner ones

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I'm considering applying copper shim and replacing the thermal pads on the north side of CPU to thinner ones

Haha I actually had shims mentioned in my post and edited it out. I didnt think anyone still did that. Definitely a scary process.

7 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Definitely a scary process

I just use the simple method: apply thermal paste on both sides

I'm considering using copper sheet since many shims comes with 10 pcs square sized

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I just use the simple method: apply thermal paste on both sides

I'm considering using copper sheet since many shims comes with 10 pcs square sized

I was more referring to the people that put a shim in crank the screws and crack the die.

29 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

I was more referring to the people that put a shim in crank the screws and crack the die.

Sounds scary

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Sounds scary

It was really bad when amd was using spring mounted coolers on their socket a processors. They actually sold copper shims to keep the cooler straight and protect the die. Cracking the die was a relatively common occurrence then.

Dumb question. On the y530 are they using a spring under a collared screw for mounting tension?

6 hours ago, markr54632 said:

On the y530 are they using a spring under a collared screw for mounting tension?

Yes

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Yes

Have you considered swapping springs or adding a thin washer above the spring at your own risk of course to increase mounting pressure or is the spread pattern too bad? 

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

Have you considered swapping springs or adding a thin washer above the spring at your own risk of course to increase mounting pressure or is the spread pattern too bad? 

I've considered that but I have no idea how to do it

Yes the spread pattern is bad, I can notice that. Probably due to low mounting pressure at north side of CPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

I do not recommend changing the mounting pressure. You can brick your motherboard with too much mounting pressure.