Can i run 144hz and a 60hz monitor?\

xsin122

I have a 1060 gtx 6gbs and i was wondering if i can run a 144hz monitor and a 60hz monitor? 

1 minute ago, xsin122 said:

I have a 1060 gtx 6gbs and i was wondering if i can run a 144hz monitor and a 60hz monitor? 

Yes. I run both a 144hz monitor and a 60hz smart TV and it works perfectly.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

To my knowledge you cannot run different frequencies on different monitors. Whenever I switch to dual monitors my main monitor drops to 60 hz instead of the normal 144. I'm wrong.

And as for games, your 1060 won't be able to push 144 unless it's an e-sports game anyway, so you're going to have to run lower for games anyway.

-= Moved to Displays =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, xsin122 said:

Yes you can run both monitors at the same time on the same pc.

Just do not expect your gpu to output two different framerates.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, xsin122 said:

I have a 165Hz and a pair of 60Hz monitors either side of it, they all coexist perfectly happily. If you find that your 144Hz monitor doesn't want to actually do 144Hz, you may have to select the refresh rate directly, either in a game or the control panel, or both.

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I thought the same, see my above post. Then I turned on my 2nd display and it was at 60 Hz while my main sat at 144 happily enough. And yes, I confirmed it by dragging a window around.

So if im play a game on the main monitor (144hz). And i have stream or video going on the second monitor. would there a huger drop in frames on the main monitor?

8 minutes ago, xsin122 said:

So if im play a game on the main monitor (144hz). And i have stream or video going on the second monitor. would there a huger drop in frames on the main monitor?

You'll only see a drop in frame rate if your computer doesn't have enough resources to do everything you're asking it to. Not simply because one display is running at a faster refresh rate than the other. Also bear in mind that your 144Hz monitor needs to be connected to an output capable of that.

12 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I thought the same, see my above post. Then I turned on my 2nd display and it was at 60 Hz while my main sat at 144 happily enough. And yes, I confirmed it by dragging a window around.

It will and can but just dont expect it to with heavy loads. A game or program my force the monitors to sync. This is not my area of expertise so take it with a grain of salt...

9 minutes ago, xsin122 said:

I would say no, but I cannot say with certainty.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm running a 144Hz and 60Hz monitor and it works fine. Mostly.

There's a bug in Windows 10 (introduced probably around 1709 or 1803) that hasn't been fixed yet that makes it so that if you're playing back a video on the slower monitor, it makes videos on the faster monitor choppy. I fixed this by overclocking my 60Hz monitor to 75Hz but just be aware of that.

36 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

It will and can but just dont expect it to with heavy loads. A game or program my force the monitors to sync. This is not my area of expertise so take it with a grain of salt...

Ah ok. Personally I don't typically run another monitor when I'm gaming, and if I do it's with my other computer.

12 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Well I'm monitoring this and seems solved by newest drivers,  it was a issue with windows desktop manager that forces everything at lowest frequency when playing a video on the secondary screen or so... I had tons of headaches sorting this, but now seems to be fine (like 2 months ago new driver update solved for me) 

Just try to play a youtube video on the secondary  while gaming , If it stutter your game try to move the video to your main monitor, thats the main issue for me (playing 2 years with a 1070 + 165hz 1440p monitor + 60hz 1080p) but now its solved it seems (Idk if its windows patch or nvidia just be up to date on those)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

• 2 weeks later...

3 Days ago i realised i have the same "issue".
Since Apex Legends is out and i noticed same weird FPS drops/issues I tried to figure out what is wrong on my PC. (the Hz issues got nothing to do with my FPS drops :P )

While searching I came around of some reddit posts dedicated to this 144hz/60hz issues and instant tried finding a solution for it.

For me, NOTHING helped to have different Hz on my screens (PG278QR 144hz and VS248H 60hz).

I feel like, this is something which needs to get WAY! more attention from Media/Users and in the End needs to be fixed by MS or nVidia asap!
There are several Threads on every Computer related Board and reddit, but after Months/Years there is NO Solution at all.

So here is what everybody can test!
Open TestUfo Website (google it for link) on your 144hz and wait for it to be synced to your 144hz Monitor. After its synced, open another Browser instance on your 60hz Screen and open the same Website. You will instant notice, that your 144hz Screen will drop FPS and therefore is downed to 60hz.

So whenever you will try watch Linus YT Videos on your 60hz screen and try gaming on your 144hz, it will automatically drop to 60hz.

Another good test is, open a game on your 144hz in "exclusive" Fullscreen (its the only "real" Solution to stop this bug while gaming) while running some sort of FPS overlay (like MSI+RTSS or fraps), enable VSYNC in the  (you must not play with vsync, its just for testing). You should get around 144 FPS if your PC is capable to do so.

Now open testufo again on your 60hz Screen -> your Game should still do 144 FPS if you open it.

Here is the clue, go from Fullscreen to Borderless Window or Windowed at all, and voila it drops to 60 FPS (mostly around 70 fps, cause the Monitor Sync Bug is not capable to properly drop your 144hz screen to 60hz)

That means, if you are not able to fix this Problem by lowering to 120hz or are lucky with 2 Monitors with DP (might fix it...) you are not able to make GOOD use of your Dual Monitor Setup, cause u are not able to instant move to your Second Screen while gaming. You always have to Alt-Tab what means the Fullscreen Game gets minimized (for me this is really annoying!) + if you watch a Video on your 60hz and wanna read or do anything else on your 144hz screen (no Fullscreen application) it gets always lowered to 60hz.

You might not notice it, but guess 75%+ of time your 144hz screen is lowered to 60hz.

I hope this gets some more attention and maybe Linus or his Staff can research this Stuff cause its simply plain stupid that MS OR Nvidia wont fix this Bug/Feature!

(Sorry for long Post and for "bad" english :P )