Jump to content
Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
craptastic95

M.2 Question

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My friend and I are debating about the keying for the m.2 on my motherboard. It is an M key. If I buy an SSD, with an M+B key, would it still work for me?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List 3.0


FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
DAYBREAK: R5 2600X | GIGABYTE GTX 1050Ti G1 GAMING | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | WD 1TB BLUE | TX650M | H500i | Win 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | LOGITECH G502
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, craptastic95 said:

My friend and I are debating about the keying for the m.2 on my motherboard. It is an M key. If I buy an SSD, with an M+B key, would it still work for me?

The bigger thing I would look at is what type of SSD it is vs. what the board supports.  Is it an NVMe or SATA SSD?  What board (and slot on the board) are you trying to put it in?  Just because it physically fits doesn't mean it will work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

depends on the board and SSD model. B+M key SSD can either be SATA or PCIe x2, while M key slot on a board can be PCIe x4, x2 or SATA.


Studying abroad, ditched the crappy laptop for a do-all laptop double. Dried factory CPU paste, long memory timings, cooler cools the inductors but not the mosfets and an inch of unused internal space on both left and right

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV system agent undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (1696MHz 0.812V ~ 1860MHz 0.95V) RAM: 12GB DDR4-2666 19-19-19-43 2T Storage: 128GB Toshiba NVMe SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) Monitor: 1080p 120Hz IPS G-sync

 

The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros. Software voltage readings are wrong if your motherboard's not a high end model

CPU: i7-2600K 4493MHz (multiplier: 43x) 1.35V (software) --> 1.4V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 104.5MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 10-11-11-30 2T 2133MHz, custom: 10-11-10-30 1T 2229MHz) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (OC'd 150Hz) TN Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Results: Cinebench R15 Single thread:159 Multi-thread: 770 (thx Meltdown Spectre patch) Super Pi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.11s 1M: 8.4s 32M: 7m 45.9s

Link to post
Share on other sites

The point of the keying is to prevent devices from fitting in slots that aren't compatible. An M.2 device with M and B notches will allow it to fit in M-keyed slots and B-keyed slots, so that means it will work in either of them. If it didn't work in M-keyed slots, it would have the M part filled in to prevent it from fitting in those slots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The point of the keying is to prevent devices from fitting in slots that aren't compatible. An M.2 device with M and B notches will allow it to fit in M-keyed slots and B-keyed slots, so that means it will work in either of them. 

Not necessarily.  I had a build where the board only supported PCIe drives in the M.2 slot (with an M-key) and accidentally purchased a SATA based drive (with an M+B key) only to figure it out after trying to install Windows and not seeing any destinations.  Most newer boards have at least one slot for each type of drive, but if you're going back to Z97/X99 that unfortunately wasn't always the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Livin said:

Not necessarily.  I had a build where the board only supported PCIe drives in the M.2 slot (with an M-key) and accidentally purchased a SATA based drive (with an M+B key) only to figure it out after trying to install Windows and not seeing any destinations.  Most newer boards have at least one slot for each type of drive, but if you're going back to Z97/X99 that unfortunately wasn't always the case.

That's true, it's up to the manufacturers what capabilities to support. I interpreted the question as asking whether M+B keyed devices were categorically incompatible with M-keyed slots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So I have an MSI B250I Gaming Pro C. I want fit a 500 GB WD Drive.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0B/dp/B073SBX6TY/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1STZ34Z0SV9XN&keywords=500gb+ssd&qid=1550026663&s=gateway&sprefix=500%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-13

 

Would you guys be able to help me figure out if it is compatible? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, craptastic95 said:

So I have an MSI B250I Gaming Pro C. I want fit a 500 GB WD Drive.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0B/dp/B073SBX6TY/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1STZ34Z0SV9XN&keywords=500gb+ssd&qid=1550026663&s=gateway&sprefix=500%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-13

 

Would you guys be able to help me figure out if it is compatible? 

MSI lists "1 x 2280 Key M(PCIe Gen3 x4/SATA on back side)" for your M.2 slot, so you should be fine.  That will handle either a SATA or up to x4 PCIe drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×