In-wall ethernet wiring

TimidPost

Hello,

I'm planning on running Ethernet cable to 3 different rooms and was wondering what materials and tools I would need. I was told to get a Cat6 Plenum STP cable since I'm going through my walls. I'm planning on getting 500 ft of bulk cable.

Going to want a crimper, a decent one there are alota crappy ones, and some RJ45 termination blocks to connect to the switch at the other end if the cable is not going into a punch down block.

Probably a cheap tool just to check connectivity of each individual wire as well make sure the connections are good.

Going to want ethernet keystone jacks in the 3 different rooms to run the wires to as well as well as their face plates.

Sawzall, material your walls are made of, sandpaper, paint, tape measure, xacto blade (not required, but I reccomend

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Also, a stud-finder so you can make stupid dad jokes.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

for futureproofing (sorta, 1gbe has been with us for almost 10y) I'd reccommend Cat7, or Cat7a for its ability to carry 10Gbe long distances, altough it is expensive.

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

for futureproofing (sorta, 1gbe has been with us for almost 10y) I'd reccommend Cat7, or Cat7a for its ability to carry 10Gbe long distances, altough it is expensive.

Cat6a can do 10 Gbps too @100 meters or 300 ish feet  and its a standard thats been around for a long time. Cat7 is not standardized by the same org that did cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6a, so many of us dont recognize it, or recommend it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Cat6a can do 10 Gbps too @100 meters or 300 ish feet  and its a standard thats been around for a long time. Cat7 is not standardized by the same org that did cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6a, so many of us dont recognize it, or recommend it. 

oh, i see, thanks for the information, i just assumed that 7 > 6, and therefore can carry more data therefore is better.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

oh, i see, thanks for the information, i just assumed that 7 > 6, and therefore can carry more data therefore is better.

The key thing is the a on Cat6a. Because normal Cat6 only does 1Gbps, while Cat6a does the 10 Gbps. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The key thing is the a on Cat6a. Because normal Cat6 only does 1Gbps, while Cat6a does the 10 Gbps. 

Cat6 can still do up to 10gbps at shorter distances, say 50m or so. Most residential runs will be below this length.

36 minutes ago, TimidPost said:

I'm planning on running Ethernet cable to 3 different rooms and was wondering what materials and tools I would need. I was told to get a Cat6 Plenum STP cable since I'm going through my walls. I'm planning on getting 500 ft of bulk cable.

Ever tried pushing rope? Get a cable rod/puller to guide it through the wall.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

To add on to what @Spotty said above, you may want to also tie some twine to the cabling as well, specifically in area's that you may need to run more cabling to later. Did this when running to Coax to the attic, this way if we ever needed to run more, we could.