Im probably in the wrong place but here goes.

Ryant01

So, I recently invested some money into a new speaker and midi keyboard. This said speaker was the sony xb-10, the keyboard came with a free copy of ableton live lite. After installing ableton I realised that it would block all sound coming from my pc from going to my speaker including abletons. The only eay i can make the setup work is by using an aux cable but the one I have is too small. I have tried updating all drivers, on the most recent version of windows, any advice?

Use output continuation in Ableton and change it (from asio to direct sound or other). It's just guessing based on other programs like this one.

Yeah, I have tried that also, from that to DX. I have also noticed it happens with programs such as discord as well.

Btw, if you want any further details of the problem, just say, I will be happy to explain in more detail.

In your sound device settings in Windows, under the advanced tab there is a setting that says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device," if you uncheck it you should be able to continue as normal.  However, you should probably check settings in Abelton first.  Because Abelton is a DAW it is probably hijacking your audio device to ensure the best recording/playback experience

12 hours ago, ShredBird said:

In your sound device settings in Windows, under the advanced tab there is a setting that says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device," if you uncheck it you should be able to continue as normal.  However, you should probably check settings in Abelton first.  Because Abelton is a DAW it is probably hijacking your audio device to ensure the best recording/playback experience.

What settings in ableton would be best to change?

Edit: changing the setting in windows sound device settings didn't change anything even after a restart, thanks for the help though.

not sure... but check if albeton or windows drivers are set as ASIO that can sometimes block audio output

4 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

not sure... but check if albeton or windows drivers are set as ASIO that can sometimes block audio output

The speaker in question can't support ASIO.

16 hours ago, Ryant01 said:

The speaker in question can't support ASIO.

? not sure i understand, asio is part of the input output interface for your DAW and windows drivers/soundcard

not sure if speaker type comes into it, im not 100% on that though, did you check the albeton audio settings? see what driver it is using?

On 2/14/2019 at 8:02 AM, kilgore_T said:

? not sure i understand, asio is part of the input output interface for your DAW and windows drivers/soundcard

not sure if speaker type comes into it, im not 100% on that though, did you check the albeton audio settings? see what driver it is using?

So I went into the settings for ableton, these arw the only two options it gives me.

Edit: so, my headphones work with ableton, on all the same settings just changing the output device, they work fine. Leaving the only question as to why my speaker doesn't work (even though they are both called headphones in the settings).

15502462420588933086178184340050.jpg

Ok, I think I have found the solution but I'm not 100% on it. I have found out that this speaker doesn't like using it's onboard microphone and it's speaker at the same time. I disabled the microphone in sound card settings and everything seems to work fine. Just doing a few more tests on it to make sure. Thanks for you guys' help!