how to plan out most efficient water cooling loop

Evster

I am planning on making my own water cooling loop for my pc. I am going to use soft 3/8 ID tubing, a CPU and GPU block, a pump/res combo, and two 240mm radiators. What order should my components be in for maximum performance, or should I change anything about what components I use in my water cooling loop.

the order of the components in your loop does not matter for cooling performance, at all.

you only want to adjust the order of the loop for loop effectiveness and tidyness, so you use the least amount of tube as possible.

can you tell us the rest of the parts on the planned build? what case are you planning to put this in?

I would probably want the water to hear up at one component and then dump at one of the rads then go to the other component and dump at the second rad. 

if crossflow rads: pump -> top rad -> cpu -> gpu -> front rad -> pump

if U-style rads: pump (assuming pump is in top front for both) pump -> front -> top -> gpu -> cpu

oh wait thats the same lmao, generally top-front-cpu-gpu, but front-cpu-top-gpu also works ,depending on how you orient your rads.

50 minutes ago, Evster said:

I am planning on making my own water cooling loop for my pc. I am going to use soft 3/8 ID tubing, a CPU and GPU block, a pump/res combo, and two 240mm radiators. What order should my components be in for maximum performance, or should I change anything about what components I use in my water cooling loop.

as long you keep the res above the pump so the pump doesn't run dry the rest of the loop order doesn't really matter.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Thank you all for the feedback. I have attached a sketchup model of how I am planning to all mount my pc. I am planning to go from reservoir -> pump -> radiator on the left -> gpu -> radiator in between motherboard and gpu -> cpu -> reservoir. I dont think I mentioned this before but I am going to wall mount this pc. Do you think that the loop I planned out will work or should I make some changes. Thank you all!

my pc layout.png

So is this a desk? Got a parts list? 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Put the pump on bottom and the res as the very top. One or two drain ports and cross flow rads. 

Could shoot for some kinda symmetrical setup.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I updated the design to be more symmetrical. Not sure what drain ports are or what cross flowing radiators, this is my first watercooing build. water goes reservoir -> pump -> radiator on the left -> gpu -> radiator in between motherboard and gpu -> cpu -> reservoir.

pc layout updated.PNG

if it is a scrach build and a wall mounted pc there is no limit on radiator dimentions, better to have 2x360 than 2x240 unless you already have the rads

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

On 2/12/2019 at 7:04 PM, Evster said:

Loop order doesn't matter, radiator size and fans define the cooling performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe consider:

Wall layout.png

Spread the tubing  runs over most the design rather than leaving one side barren.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |