TV for gaming

Reece565

Hi, so at the moment I have a 40 inch 4k Samsung for my ps4 pro and my xbox one x 

I also use the TV for watching tv 

I want to get the 49 inch model of the current tv that I have, but there's a flat version and a curved version for nearly the same price, I sit about 6 foot away and am dead centre with the TV 

Would I benefit from a curved screen for my uses, thx 

5 minutes ago, Reece565 said:

Hi, so at the moment I have a 40 inch 4k Samsung for my ps4 pro and my xbox one x 

I also use the TV for watching tv 

I want to get the 49 inch model of the current tv that I have, but there's a flat version and a curved version for nearly the same price, I sit about 6 foot away and am dead centre with the TV 

Would I benefit from a curved screen for my uses, thx 

Well TV's should always be flat since people are viewing it from different angles.  However a monitor curved is freakin amazing,  Once you go curved you never go back.  I sit in front of a flat display and it is such a POS compraed to the curved.  If your getting a monitor get curved, if your buying it for TV watching and console then by flat.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Curved monitors are great when they are very wide and you are sitting near them. They are completely pointless if you are standing a good distance away or the monitor isn't wide. Ideally you want to be in a position where the curved would cause your left and right perphrial vision to be the screen. In order for that to happen you need to be fairly close. 

I have a 55" TV and I sit about 6-7 ft away depending if I scooch closer or not. So we sit about the same distance away. I have a 55" and I still don't think a curved TV would feel right at that distance. Even if I move up to like four feet away, I'm still not sure if it would feel right. For some reason, I think curved displays are best if they are really big but more specifically, I think they need to be 21:9 ultrawide for it to feel right.

This is strictly my preference but the problem is, I don't think a single console game can support that aspect ratio and I doubt the consoles themselves can do it. It's really more of a PC thing or movie buff thing. So really, your just going to be stuck with a 16:9 curved display, not ultrawide. I just bought a Sony X900E in 2017 and I passed up on the ultrawides. I considered them but I didn't think they made sense for console gaming, at least not at the sized I was looking at. If I was going bigger or sitting much closer, maybe I would get one.

Again, just my preference and in regards to console gaming. PC is another deal since you sit so close and you can really take advantage of one with PC games and get a 21:9 aspect ratio.

But I do think stepping up to a 49" is a good idea in general. Actually, I would go bigger. At first my 55" seemed a bit too big. My eye had to adjust lol. But now I honestly think it feels a bit small lol. 

4 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

I don't think a single console game can support that aspect ratio

I'd say that you are correct in that assesment...

And it might be a while until that might be the case.

In the meantime the 21:9 thing might die...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"