VRAM broken bcs of mining

Hello,

I bought a used R9 380 (Sapphire) for 100€ through eBay.

The seller told me that the card is working properly and was only used about 4 hours per week.

When the card arrived I firstly tested the card and got some weird flickering and lines on my screen.

So the card is broken. The seller also told me that he didn't used the card for mining. I dont trust him on that.

Can the VRAM get damaged by mining? 

Ty

"One day you'll leave this world behind, So live a life you will remember" ~Avicii

1 minute ago, myselfolli said:

Just send it back while you're still covered by ebay's protection

I actually got my full 100€ back and the seller told me to keep the card. 

"One day you'll leave this world behind, So live a life you will remember" ~Avicii

1 minute ago, myselfolli said:

Well that's convenient :P

I'm 90% sure that he know the card is broken...

Try to put the memory down a bit like 100mhz and the clock a bit also. then test the card out

I tried this already. But it didn't helped at all...

ok next step is put the voltage up and the power target to 50%, if no good results flash another bios to it, a bios that you see its more slow then that one, recomended also is to clean the card very well and put new paste 

Check if it’s been flashed. 

The card can break from anything. Could blame mining if that makes you feel better though. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Check if it’s been flashed. 

The card can break from anything. Could blame mining if that makes you feel better though. 

Tf I dont blame mining. I dont have anything against mining. I only asked if it could be a reason...

4 minutes ago, sandrowiedner said:

Tf I dont blame mining. I dont have anything against mining. I only asked if it could be a reason...

Just don’t see the point of singling it out. 

They fail for a million reasons. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

You might try to bake the card **do this on your own risk, and ofc. keep in mind that this will produce gases that may be harmfull**.

>>Best way is always to bring your dead hardware to a professional repair service<<

Usually mining is not killing a card, dust and dirt / heat kills the card / the memory. Most todays mining algorythm are not stressing the max out of the card, in fact the common ones can be run with like 70% power target. 

Edited by ubm3d
added reminder on risks...

12 minutes ago, ubm3d said:

You might try to bake the card. Usually mining is not killing a card, dust and dirt / heat kills the card / the memory. Most todays mining algorythm are not stressing the max out of the card, in fact the common ones can be run with like 70% power target. 

If you hate your oven and your house and enjoy the thought of cancer, sure, bake it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

43 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If you hate your oven and your house and enjoy the thought of cancer, sure, bake it.

Have to mention: Remove all plastic parts, start with low temps, keep window open. Melting tin will not create cancer ... also dont bake over 200°c. it will smell - but mostly because of molten solderings. You can find a detailed tour on how to on ifixit website . not recommended for cards that still have waranty, and ofc. you do things like that always on your own risk. 

thanks aisle9 for pointing out that this procedure can create gases that may be harmful.

5 minutes ago, ubm3d said:

Have to mention: Remove all plastic parts, start with low temps, keep window open. Melting tin will not create cancer ... also dont bake over 200°c. it will smell - but mostly because of molten solderings. You can find a detailed tour on how to on ifixit website . not recommended for cards that still have waranty, and ofc. you do things like that always on your own 

Baking a GPU will produce gases that will stick to the sides of the oven, rendering the oven unusable ever again. It will stink to high hell for the next few days before you have to trash the oven and buy a new one, and your house will reek of the gases produced for a long, long time. A baked GPU will last weeks, at best, before dying again. Baking a GPU is stupid, dangerous and incredibly expensive when you have to buy a new oven next week because eating food laced with lead is a bad idea.

Please research before encouraging people to give themselves and their families lead poisoning and God only knows what else if they keep eating food made in the oven the card was baked in.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

It worries me at the part where he said "it was only used about 4 hour per week". Just a big lie.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 hours ago, sandrowiedner said:

I actually got my full 100€ back and the seller told me to keep the card. 

Now you gotta post the card on eBay again and wait for someone to buy it, then you'll have 200€ 

1987-flat-signed-autographed-1st-edition

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB