Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristerin

First Used Mining GPU Purchases review/testimony

Posted · Original PosterOP

I used Ebay

If anyone has read any of my blabbering about buying used miner GPU's Ive always been on the fence and always for the what ifs.  I finally saw some really well priced R9 Fury's and couldn't help myself (also had an ebay $10 off card to use so it made the price sweeter) so I purchased 1.  The price was so good (and 4/5 of the GPU's were sold within hours) so I said...Im already in this far may as well buy another (1 for each rig)!

A lot of trepidation, a lot of worrying.  The end result however was opposite.

Boxes each arrived independently (got the second GPU last night) - both boxed very well, packaged to protect, cards were clean.  Plug/Play/No issues.

Im personally tickled pink by this experience.  I spent a lot less money and got better GPU's in performance than an RX 590 for less than half the price each.

I have to say now, I have changed my stance.  Buy that used GPU from a seller with good rating.  The risk seems a lot lower than I anticipated.

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7ghz all core stock voltage, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 2133mhz Patriot Viper, Corsair HX850 PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO push top exhaust, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

Ryzen Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case

Media Center:  See Project: Dwight in the builds section of the forum

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

A couple laptops and tablets around the house

I've bought dozens of GPUs off of eBay - many of them used for mining and the like. I've had zero problems with any - except for the ones I've bought from Asia. They're all fake.

In short, don't buy from Asia and you'll be fine (under ebay's money back guidelines)

Edit: Second tip - If the price is too good (And the item isn't in auction but instead a "buy now"), then it's almost certainly a scam.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

5 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

I've bought dozens of GPUs off of eBay - many of them used for mining and the like. I've had zero problems with any - except for the ones I've bought from Asia. They're all fake.

In short, don't buy from Asia and you'll be fine (under ebay's money back guidelines)

I was one of the nay-sayers...now Im on board, as long as its a USA based sale (for me) and the seller has great reviews...its a no brainer if the price is right!

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7ghz all core stock voltage, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 2133mhz Patriot Viper, Corsair HX850 PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO push top exhaust, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case

Ryzen Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, 640gb WD Blue 7200 RPM Mech drive, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 Case

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

I have said this in the past that mining on a GPU in general doesn't do much to kill the card any quicker. If anything the mining cards have been taken better care of than most gaming cards. They are normally undervolted and run at lower temps than your average gaming card.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

I have said this in the past that mining on a GPU in general doesn't do much to kill the card any quicker. If anything the mining cards have been taken better care of than most gaming cards. They are normally undervolted and run at lower temps than your average gaming card.

I cant argue anymore.  I would have in the past associating risk vs ................................well Ebay guarantee and Paypal guarantee is more than enough for me now. 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:24 PM, Imbellis said:

Edit: Second tip - If the price is too good (And the item isn't in auction but instead a "buy now"), then it's almost certainly a scam.

so, don't buy anything from an entire continent with billions of people because you got a few fake items? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

so, don't buy anything from an entire continent with billions of people because you got a few fake items? 

Out of the 5 GPUs I've bought from Asia, 5 have been fakes. That, and the fact that shipping is very slow.

I've bought 1060 5GBs used for ~$170 and they were fake (showing that not only the very cheaply priced GPUs are fakes) .When buying from Europe or the US, I can buy a 1060 6GB for $120-$150. I haven't run into any fakes while buying from Europe or America. Sure, some haven't shown up working, but at least there's no obvious malice in that.

In my eyes, having a track record of 5 for 5 of fakes is enough to validate my reasoning.

Regarding other markets, such as getting custom manufacturing done, Asia is still a great place to do business with. I've just learned that buying GPUs from 'em isn't worth the trouble that it has caused.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/