Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FFS Techer

Is it dangerous to show my face on YouTube if I am under 18?

Posted · Original PosterOP

My mom doesn't want me to make videos that have my face in them, which takes away most expressions from videos. I respect her choice, but just curious, is it actually dangerous? I think she is worried I will have people stalking me and following me in public or something.

I haven't put my face on the internet, yet. 

Now i'm sure with enough googling you could find my face, but it's not easily available on social media.

I choose to keep my face off the internet myself, but I am not trying to create anything that would require my face anyway.

no easy answers here ._. that'll depend on the community you live in IRL and the community you'd get gradually online

best to start status quo with keeping your identity to yourself. if you want to show your face, at least point the camera away from the window or any unique feature of your house.

(also if you've been posting photos of your room or house or the area you live in on FB or insta... well....)

Not really dangerous...

She probably doesn't want you to do something you may regret later, like let's say you're making some videos where you have some opinions that are not so well researched as you're young and less mature, and years later you may regret posting those videos and may hurt when you're looking for jobs or whatever.

Another argument may be she doesn't want you to record the background, the window, what's outside your window, just in case some crazy person figures out where you live - there were cases with more popular streamers and youtubers where people figured out the location just by clouds and motion of the sun over the sky and planes leaving those white trails.

Dangerous? Well, you could become a meme or you could be bullied

How old are you anyway? That's an important information, if you are 16-17 well, it's easier to not make fun of, if you are 12-13-14 you'll face trolls and retards who will try to let you down

You don't have to show your face, you probably think that showing your face will increase your fame, but nope, there are hundreds of youtubers that don't show their faces and they are doing fine

Be careful, because you could end up being trolled, bullied, etc and giving important information like face, real name, location, etc could be even worse

18 hours ago, FFS Techer said:

My mom doesn't want me to make videos that have my face in them, which takes away most expressions from videos. I respect her choice, but just curious, is it actually dangerous? I think she is worried I will have people stalking me and following me in public or something.

Yes, it is dangerous!

Depending on Content and so on.

And in general, if you don't need to, don't do it.

There is a very successful tools channel guy that also never has shown his face - and he has over 1MIllion Subscribers.

So I'm with your mom on that.

DON'T SHOW YOUR FACE IF YOU CAN AVOID IT!

18 hours ago, mariushm said:

Not really dangerous...

Oh yeah, it is!

Just make Political Content and have "the wrong oppionion" (and live in a shithole like San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago), or criticize the wrong thing and you're in big trouble.

And in some cases he's even as good as dead!

We don't even know where he's from or what kind of Videos he's talking about...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Don't if you don't have to. Because once you post something from yourself, it's permanently online. So, better not do it, if it's not necessary. No age restrictions for this rule. People are too obsessed posting their selfies or videos all over the place and people either feel pressured to do so or they think it comes with no issues. Well, I don't have a single selfie online anywhere and I'm doing just fine. Don't be public persona unless you really need to (like, Youtube channel that greatly benefits from your presence in terms of fidelity or content).

Chances of ever making it big enough on YouTube AND being targeted by some malicious individual are extremely slim. Go for it.

Of course, never disclose your home address or the school you attend or whatever. You don't want to get doxxed or to have trolls call up your school and tell them you're doing drugs just for giggles.

EDIT: Also, how good looking are you? If you're good looking, definitely show your face. If you're average or ugly, I wouldn't show it as much or at all.

There's a reason why PewDiePie shows his face all the time and Videogamedunkey keeps it hidden in 99% of his videos. Same reason why the majority of actors are good looking. People don't wanna stare for a long time at some ugly mug.

No your face is probably on the internet all ready and is on a ton of servers from security cameras, passport, drivers license, and so on

PC Specs: i7 6EiGht00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GTX1080 Zotac Amp ExTrEme),64Gb DOminator PlatinUm, EVGA G2 seven5zeroWatt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGTX, Windows 10, K70 RGB, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. SAMSUNG 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 980tiZotacStockBIOS.zip☻♥■∞{╚§XÅD{┘Æ╩mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo

2 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

EDIT: Also, how good looking are you? If you're good looking, definitely show your face. If you're average or ugly, I wouldn't show it as much or at all.

There's a reason why PewDiePie shows his face all the time and Videogamedunkey keeps it hidden in 99% of his videos. Same reason why the majority of actors are good looking. People don't wanna stare for a long time at some ugly mug.

This is just wrong on so many levels.

12 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I haven't put my face on the internet, yet. 

Now i'm sure with enough googling you could find my face, but it's not easily available on social media.

I choose to keep my face off the internet myself, but I am not trying to create anything that would require my face anyway.

how could you find it if you haven't put it there?

taking government/comapanies surveillance out of the equation just for this time

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Most likely not. It about as dangerous than doing something in public overall. You don't need to associate name with your face. Or you can just use first name. Eventually people will find out who you are, but they would do same if you were the guy who serves bad coffee.

Legally there isn't anything there. Only if you were under 13, according to US laws you need written permission from your parent to become creator. Or YT has all the rights ban you out.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 minutes ago, LinusOnLine said:

This is just wrong on so many levels.

He's right imo I'm ugly af and I know no one would want to watch me on a video, not even myself

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 minute ago, Giganthrax said:

Hey, youtube is a visual medium. People like looking at pretty people. It's important to keep that in mind when starting a youtube channel. 

linus is kawaii level pretty 

PC: Alienware 15 R3 , Cpu: 7700hq (repasted with kryonaut) , GPu : 1070 OC to 1822 Mhz , Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz 

3 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

linus is kawaii level pretty 

Linus is sexy AF. ❤️

Seriously though, the guy is charismatic, energetic, and competent, which all translates great to video. Also, the sexiness from a tech channel video comes from the tech at display, not the host. :)

12 hours ago, FFS Techer said:

Could be fine, as much as you can end up being the next 4chan center of attention.
(If you don't know what that is, its bad. you do not want that.)

~New~  ThinkPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004 

3 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

Also, how good looking are you? If you're good looking, definitely show your face. If you're average or ugly, I wouldn't show it as much or at all.

Wow

So ugly people can’t have careers in youtube if people see them. Good to know. And the term “good looking” is not universal. People have different interests, for example. People at my school think fitz is hot, but I personally think he is just okay. (No offense to fitz, I love his videos) but my point is, looks don’t matter if you have good content

I watched the world float to the dark side of the moon.. After all I knew it had to be something to do with you

Laptop:

CPU: Intel Celeron N2840

RAM: (1x4) DDR3L 4gb 1600mhz

SCREEN: 15.6” 1366 x 768p

GPU: Intel HD Graphics

HDD: 500gb 7200rpm

Phone:

CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 425

RAM: 2gb

Storage: 16gb (now 24gb)

Screen: 1280 x 720p

Pixel Density: 294 ppi

Camera: 1920 x 1080p 13mp 

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Oh yeah, it is!

Just make Political Content and have "the wrong oppionion" (and live in a shithole like San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago), or criticize the wrong thing and you're in big trouble.

And in some cases he's even as good as dead!

We don't even know where he's from or what kind of Videos he's talking about...

You are paranoid ;) Fun stuff!!

Emma: i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (x2 RAID 0) + Toshiba P300 3TB - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz UW - Mackie CR5BT - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

You are paranoid ;) 

You're not very informed about stuff going on in the World or even the US.

Just look at the "Face Crime" of that Covington Kid.

And how many people called for the death of this child...

Including some E-Celebs...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

I would argue that the reason VGD doesn't show his face is because he doesn't have to. His videos are built around pissing around with games, he doesn't need to show his face to do that.

In contrast, PewDiePie's videos always were accompanied by a facecam so he's the centerpiece of his channel.

Known as SEOZ, but you can call me essy for short

Main PC:

CPU: i5-8600K 4.7GHz Cooler: Arctic 33 eSports One Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3000 GPU: Asus GTX 1060 3GB Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD PSU: Corsair CX450M Case: NZXT S340

Keyboard: EagleTec KG011 Mouse: Logitech G305 Monitor: LG 29WK600 Sound: Status Audio HD One

Brother:

CPU: Ryzen 2200G 3.5GHz Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper 4 DDR4-3000 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Storage: Integral V2 250GB SSD PSU: BQ PP 10 400W Case: DeepCool Frame

Keyboard: Redragon K552 Mouse: Corsair Glaive Monitor: AOC E2270SWHN + Acer KG221Q Sound: Earbuds

Asus ZenBook UX410-UA

CPU: i3-8130U 2.2GHz RAM: 4GB DDR4-2400 GPU: Intel UHD 620 Storage: 256GB SK Hynix M.2 SATA SSD Screen: 14" 1920x1080p IPS

Folding@Home Setup:

CPU: i5-8600K - 2.9GHz (Folding Disabled)

GPU: Asus GTX 1060 3GB - Graphics 1900MHz / Memory 4000MHz

It’s not dangerous, but it’s never a good idea to post personal stuff on the internet, employers look up the stuff or maybe you might regret it. Jennifer Lawrence does.

Toasted Muesli Specs: Rolled Oats | Desiccated Coconut | Sunflower Seeds | Chopped Brazil Nuts | Sultanas | Chopped Dried Apricots | Cinnamon | Nutmeg