24x7 Transcoding Rig for CCTV Archving

AsankaG

Hey Folks,

Need some help with setting up a few rigs to do CCTV footage archiving for a client of mine. My basic guideline configs looks like this:

i5 8th Gen

8GB RAM

1050Ti 4GB

Here's the scenario:

Client has about 16 analogue CCTV cameras being recorded on a DVR. They need to store recording for about 3 months duration. My suggestion was to encode everything into h.265 1080p or 720p with ~300MB file size. The DVR systems have a windows software to schedule download video files.

My question is would the above hardware be enough to perform this task? And what software is able to monitor a fold/sub-folders and continuously run this task?

Appreciate any help that can be given to me.

It might be fast enough. I would think the fastest way would be using an NVENC compatible encoder (Handbrake, ffmpeg, etc.) and schedule a batch/powershell script to run the encoder on all files wherever the software dumps them.

The maybe is me being uncertain about if the encoder can keep up with 16 streams. From this Nvidia dev doc (Edit: so this link went down in the few hours since I posted this?) you can see the encoding performance at different settings, and from there you can determine if it will be fast enough for your task. Look under the Pascal columns and roughly double the numbers if going with 720p. It should definitely be able to keep up if you use h.264, but h.265 probably depends on the framerate of the cameras.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Thanks @BobVonBob.

what software do you recommend that's capable of doing this? I was initially thinking of using Plex/Emby type of service as most of the encoding/converters  that I tried had to manually add the files into the encoder

1 hour ago, AsankaG said:

Thanks @BobVonBob.

what software do you recommend that's capable of doing this? I was initially thinking of using Plex/Emby type of service as most of the encoding/converters  that I tried had to manually add the files into the encoder

I mentioned it in my original post, ffmpeg with a windows task scheduled to run a small powershell script that encodes the files will probably work. Here's a decent guide for setting up something like that using the NVENC encoder. It may require some tweaking for your use case. There may also be programs with watch folder functionality that can re-encode using NVENC, but I don't know any off the top of my head.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11