Why does Streamlabs lag when I dont cap my FPS

Go to solution Solved by Arika,
10 minutes ago, funkybananas7 said:

But that doesn't explain why I'm able to push up to 80 or 90 percent without dropping frames with a higher ingame quality instead of fps

because if your not pegged at 99-100% then there's still enough resources for stream labs to function. it doesn't matter how the resources are being used, whether it's lower quality or higher quality, as long as there is enough processing power left to encode the image then it doesn't matter what your game looks like.

if you're taxing your system hard enough that it has to spend all it's resources to run the game, then that will leave nothing for streamlabs to use and will drop frames. if you can get 80-90% utilization with stream labs running, then that's good, there's still a small amount of headroom for other things. but again, if you're pushing 99-100% because you're uncapped without streamlabs then you're starving it of resources.

When I stream any game I have to cap my fps in-game otherwise my stream lags. I have a perfectly capable system (i5 8600k and rtx2070) but the moment I cap frames higher then 90 or 100 fps my stream (720p 48fps) starts to lag, buffer and drop frames. I have a 144hz monitor and can gain from the extra fps. So is there any way to not have to cap fps or be capable of getting a higher cap without going to a dual system setup or is it just not possible?

because your computer is working harder to get as many frames as it can push therefore less resources to dedicate to streamlabs. capping it gives you overhead for other programs

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

16 minutes ago, Arika S said:

because your computer is working harder to get as many frames as it can push therefore less resources to dedicate to streamlabs. capping it gives you overhead for other programs

But I'm only using 60 percent or so of the cpu when cappedand when I up quality in game that consumes more resources, but with no effect on streamlabs

1 minute ago, funkybananas7 said:

But I'm only using 60 percent or so of the cpu when capped

yes and that leaves 40% for other things, including stream labs. if you're uncapped your CPU or GPU may be pushing 99-100% leaving 0-1% for stream labs

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

20 minutes ago, Arika S said:

yes and that leaves 40% for other things, including stream labs. if you're uncapped your CPU or GPU may be pushing 99-100% leaving 0-1% for stream labs

But that doesn't explain why I'm able to push up to 80 or 90 percent without dropping frames with a higher ingame quality instead of fps

10 minutes ago, funkybananas7 said:

because if your not pegged at 99-100% then there's still enough resources for stream labs to function. it doesn't matter how the resources are being used, whether it's lower quality or higher quality, as long as there is enough processing power left to encode the image then it doesn't matter what your game looks like.

if you're taxing your system hard enough that it has to spend all it's resources to run the game, then that will leave nothing for streamlabs to use and will drop frames. if you can get 80-90% utilization with stream labs running, then that's good, there's still a small amount of headroom for other things. but again, if you're pushing 99-100% because you're uncapped without streamlabs then you're starving it of resources.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

But what I'm trying to say is if I go higher with the fps cap and my system utilization is 80 or 90 percent it still drops frames. Right now I have pubg capped at 82 fps on medium settings with 60 percent or so utilization, if I were to raise the quality setting and utilization goes up to 80 percent it does not drop frames but if I set the fps to say 95 fps it will get the same usage but frames will drop in streamlabs and it will buffer

46 minutes ago, Arika S said:

So I just did a little testing and I think there was a bunch background programs that were causing this problem. As I'm able to get up to 110 fps cap with 80 percent utilization so we all good. Thanks for the help