Looking for Laptop

Werdoe

Hi guys!

Im new here, but been a fan of LTT. I need some genius expert mega help.

So, as the title says, i am looking for a laptop. It's been almost 2 months of reading reviews, watching unboxings, and digging issues on reddit.

But I still don't have a fix decision on what unit should I get.

My budget is around 100,000 PHP (~$2000). To give you how the market is in my country(Philippines), here are some of the laptops that I am looking into:

1. Dell XPS 15 (i7 - 1050ti - 16gb RAM - 512 SSD - 4k touch)  ==  ₱129,999 (US $2488.96 if converted as of today) @ local store

2. Asus Zenbook UX533FD (i7 - 1050 - 16gb RAM - 1TB SSD - 1080p) == ₱87,885.27 (US $1682.65) @ newegg

3. Lenovo X1 Extreme - not available locally. 1-2 month preorder from local store

So i have a thing to premium slim laptop with good design. Here's are the issues now.

Apparently XPS 15 is bugged down with issues like DPS, wifi card, CPU and GPU throttling, etc etc, more on reddit.

Then the zenbook has known issues with it's touchpad going crazy and some reporting its heating more than normal.

What do you think guys? Should I go for XPS 15 and ignore the issues? and hope that i get a unit with very less issues? gamble?

or go with zenbook - cause itsss dayyymmm beautiful - and ignore touchpad issue? or try to look for an available seller for the lenovo?

Or should I look into other laptops? Like Gaming laptop (problem is the battery life)? Can you name some? So I can look into it.

My use cases will be;

Work - Sheets, Emails, Small photo/vid editing

Game - mid to high 1080p. I only game like once or twice a week. 5-10 hours. 

Leisure -  programming, and showing off at my local coffee shop (i will need good battery life for this, for long lasting bragging, jk).

If this is not allowed here, I am very sorry, please notify me so i can remove.

Thank you in advance!

All 3 of the laptops you mentioned have their issues.

The XPS has some strange driver issues as you said, but those can and will be patched in the coming future. I had an XPS, wasn't a fan of the build quality. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't confidence inspiring having it in my backpack.

The Zenbook has thermal issues, touch-pad issues, and other strange anomalies in the design that make it unworthy of anybodies purchase.

The X1 Extreme has issues with simple inconsistencies. For some reason, lord knows what, lenovo decided to have multiple OEM's for the Trackpad and Keyboard, which leads to some very non-satisfactory experiences if you dont get a good set. I've seen people try 4 different models at random and not get a good keyboard/trackpad combo. I am a thinkpad guy at heart, but cannot recommend the X1 extreme.

Though, being a thinkpad guy I am going to recommend another thinkpad! The X280, to be exact :)

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X280/p/22TP2TX2800

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

5 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

All 3 of the laptops you mentioned have their issues.

The XPS has some strange driver issues as you said, but those can and will be patched in the coming future. I had an XPS, wasn't a fan of the build quality. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't confidence inspiring having it in my backpack.

The Zenbook has thermal issues, touch-pad issues, and other strange anomalies in the design that make it unworthy of anybodies purchase.

The X1 Extreme has issues with simple inconsistencies. For some reason, lord knows what, lenovo decided to have multiple OEM's for the Trackpad and Keyboard, which leads to some very non-satisfactory experiences if you dont get a good set. I've seen people try 4 different models at random and not get a good keyboard/trackpad combo. I am a thinkpad guy at heart, but cannot recommend the X1 extreme.

Though, being a thinkpad guy I am going to recommend another thinkpad! The X280, to be exact :)

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X280/p/22TP2TX2800

Thank you for the quick reply!

Seems like i should stay away from zenbook laptops.... though it really looks gorgeous. Tbh, thinkpad are kinda my last option, it screams kinda very professional look for me and it doesnt have dedicated gpu? and i dont get the red track point? is that what its called? But nevertheless, thank you for the suggestion, i will check with the local lenovo if they have this unit.

32 minutes ago, Werdoe said:

Thank you for the quick reply!

Seems like i should stay away from zenbook laptops.... though it really looks gorgeous. Tbh, thinkpad are kinda my last option, it screams kinda very professional look for me and it doesnt have dedicated gpu? and i dont get the red track point? is that what its called? But nevertheless, thank you for the suggestion, i will check with the local lenovo if they have this unit.

The X280 has a trackpoint, but no DGPU.

Other than the X1 Extreme (with its issues mentioned above), the only Thinkpad laptops with a DGPU are the P series workstations which have poor battery life and workstation hardware that is way overkill.

This wont be a gaming-on-the-go solution, but you could get an EGPU dock and attach it via thunderbolt 3 for when you do want to game! (These laptops are at the least ~$600 less than your budget, perfect for a good EGPU!)

I would go for the top end config on their site, as the 1TB of storage is more than enough. The lowest end config is only 128. How can anybody manage so little storage now a days!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Preferred min battery life and max weight? Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128