Welp! Are AIOs that bad?

I was reading reviews everywhere on the internet about AIOs, (Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB vs. DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX) and both of them have leakage problems. Is this a common problem for AIOs? Can it damage my components? Is it worth the temps? Should I just focus on buying air coolers instead?

If there is such a thing as an unleakable AIO for under $80 let me know.

"Perfection is not the end, it's the beginning." 

[First Build] [About Me]

Not common, but the problems still have a probability of happening. A low grade water cooler costs as much as a high tier air cooler so I don't see why you would go with the former 

1 minute ago, Yellow_ said:

Not common, but the problems still have a probability of happening. A low grade water cooler costs as much as a high tier air cooler so I don't see why you would go with the former 

and they perform roughly the same.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I know Corsair AIO's are like, the most common as they just seem to always work and never leak; and that's even with years of use and abuse. I don't know what the makers of the AIO's you listed are, but Asetek (the company that basically makes most AIO's like you find at Corsair) are pretty much the standard. Whether or not high end air is better than a 240 AIO is probably another thread (which has already been discussed millions of times here).

most AIOs are all built by the same company (Asetek), so they will all perform about the same and have the same failure rates.

Leakage is not common(ive never had an issue with the 3 that i've had) but it does happen, like anything there is always a chance for a product failure, but its not a big worry

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

As with most reviews you'll find online. The majority of them are because someone is angry with the product. When everything goes smoothly a lot of people don't take the time to review the positive aspects of a purchase.

Get a corsair one.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They're good, but most people don't need it. The D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 4 will get you similar temperatures (perhaps a couple degrees higher) but have fewer points of failure and are generally cheaper. IMO there is no reason to pay more and run a higher chance of failure for a few degrees and a higher price.

Leaking isn't common; however, they may be talking about the eventual drying up of AIOs, which happens slowly over time.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Thanks guys, just really wanted to know about this, I was starting to get paranoid.

Also, is the Wraith Cooler any good? (Ryzen 5 2600) If not, what are some great low profile coolers?

@Imbellis Love the Dark Rock Pro 4, but it's to big for this build xD

[First Build] [About Me]

@Mr.Muffins How many mm of space do you have for a cooler?
The Wriath isn't bad, but many aftermarket coolers will do better.

Some time soonTM, Not From Concentrate is having a 20+ SFF Cooler roundup.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

140mm but I would prefer to keep it under 70mm.

Actually, is the Corsair h100x Liquid Cooler any good? It's within the budget. If not, then any 70mm Air Cooler will be fine. (Especially the ones that have the fan on top of the radiator, I like those)

[First Build] [About Me]

9 minutes ago, Mr.Muffins said:

Actually, is the Corsair h100x Liquid Cooler any good? It's within the budget. If not, then any 70mm Air Cooler will be fine. (Especially the ones that have the fan on top of the radiator, I like those)

Once you go closed loop you wont go back.  I have the Corsair H100i GTX on my 125w cpu...keeps it CHILLY cold (have good airflow and kryonaut as well)

Only forward...to custom loops.  At least that's where Im headed (all my parts are now in the mail from China lol)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Nice! Man the way you wrote chilly makes me want to have it. Okay, I'll go for the Corsair H100x then and see how it goes. I'll let you know if I get into any problems after it arrives.

Hopefully it doesn't come DOA... Or even worse, a WOA (͡ ͡° ͜ つ ͡͡°)

[First Build] [About Me]

Leaks aren't common but those AIOs in particular are built with lower quality materials than others so it could be a problem.

Built a lot of PCs with AIOs from Corsair and none had a problem so far

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

22 hours ago, Imbellis said:

They're good, but most people don't need it. The D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 4 will get you similar temperatures (perhaps a couple degrees higher) but have fewer points of failure and are generally cheaper. IMO there is no reason to pay more and run a higher chance of failure for a few degrees and a higher price.

Leaking isn't common; however, they may be talking about the eventual drying up of AIOs, which happens slowly over time.

Even as someone that has AIOs and do custom loops.  I agree.  A good quality air cooler works great.

Actually, I have a water block for my TR, but not actually put it on since the Noctua TR4 cooler been handling the chip great (not very noisy either - my GPU makes more noise than it).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

Leaks aren't common but those AIOs in particular are built with lower quality materials than others so it could be a problem.

Built a lot of PCs with AIOs from Corsair and none had a problem so far

1 hour ago, Mr.Muffins said:

Nice! Man the way you wrote chilly makes me want to have it. Okay, I'll go for the Corsair H100x then and see how it goes. I'll let you know if I get into any problems after it arrives.

Hopefully it doesn't come DOA... Or even worse, a WOA (͡ ͡° ͜ つ ͡͡°)

Here is a semi-comprehensive list on who makes whose AIO's - Asetek makes the Corsair H100i GTX - build quality is great.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2122-who-actually-makes-liquid-coolers-oems

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Here is a semi-comprehensive list on who makes whose AIO's - Asetek makes the Corsair H100i GTX - build quality is great.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2122-who-actually-makes-liquid-coolers-oems

The 100i is made by Cool IT? TIL

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 hours ago, Mr.Muffins said:

The H100x is a solid cooler, and should perform really well in your build.  Should anything happen, the very off chance of a leak even, it comes with a 5-year warranty from us, with policies in place for those types of issues.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

This video shows air cooling vs custom 360mm water cooling, not even an AIO.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Hmmmm, I guess I should just stick to air coolers then? Ugh, my brain...

Thanks for the info again guys, maybe I'll see if I can find a low profile air cooler and use the remaining cash to buy some extra RGB fans... Cause RGB is necessary, right?

[First Build] [About Me]

On 2/11/2019 at 10:09 PM, Mr.Muffins said:

I was reading reviews everywhere on the internet about AIOs, (Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB vs. DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX) and both of them have leakage problems. Is this a common problem for AIOs? Can it damage my components? Is it worth the temps? Should I just focus on buying air coolers instead?

If there is such a thing as an unleakable AIO for under $80 let me know.

The most common AIO's essentialy add points of failure for no cooling performance gain over a good air cooler, whilst costing more. With the only subjective positive being asthetics.

If u want a AIO, idealy u want to aim for a 360mm. Anything smaller isnt worth it when you can get a good top end air cooler that performs as as good , and better, than smaller AIO's and they have far less points of failure.

There is one circumstance where an AIO is worth it. In SFF builds where very low profile coolers are required if going with air, then a 240mm AIO can be a much better choice.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Never had an issue with the 6 ive owned. Even my first one in 06. 

Plenty in that price range. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz