AMD (doesn't) makes a UEFI - Radeon VII found missing UEFI support

rcmaehl
14 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, this is only a problem with AMD's version and not an issue if I bought one from XFX of Sapphire?

This impacts all current cards using the reference design... Meaning all of them.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 minutes ago, sof006 said:

This impacts all current cards using the reference design... Meaning all of them.

Yes, and?
The fix for that might be ready in the next couple of days, as its already shipped...

So what are we talking about again?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Slower boot times

Slower boot what? You re kidding right? Stop reading marketing quotes and start practicing yourself. None of what you mentioned is actually true.

14 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, good thing I'm not buying one until August when it will probably be sorted out.

By then why not get the actual Navi?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

22 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

By then why not get the actual Navi?

I don't think Navi high end is coming out this year. Smaller midrange Navi for 2019 is not gonna match the raw performance of a Radeon 7 or RTX 2080.

AMD indicated that they have multiple graphics card launches this year and that they were starting at the high end and will fill out the rest of the range.

1 hour ago, Settlerteo said:

Slower boot what? You re kidding right? Stop reading marketing quotes and start practicing yourself. None of what you mentioned is actually true.

The issue could cause slower boot, or the system unable to boot unless secure boot is disabled, this is a problem because not everyone wants to or has the knowledge to mess around with bios or reinstall windows to get their new GPU to work.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, and?
The fix for that might be ready in the next couple of days, as its already shipped...

The issue should have been found before cards even shipped, it really seems like a lack of QA to get cards shipped out.

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Boh, could you next time pls double check and look for other sources? 

Because here's what HardOCP has to say:

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2019/02/11/amd_releases_bios_for_radeon_vii_uefi_gop/

Quote:

AMD Releases BIOS for Radeon VII with UEFI GOP

So the TPU Source was just awful and misleading, because AMD already works for a fix, wich they don't seem to have mentioned...

Especially with AMD you should look for multiple, primary sources. And especially on sites that don't get favorable treatment from nVidia!!

And you should check the article before criticizing the OP for the source they used, Techpowerup updated their article.

Techpowerup isn't biased for AMD, and it's a bit ironic to complain a source is biased since some people are hating on TPU for their Radeon VII review.

29 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Because the primary focus of the card is rendering and other tasks in Maya.  I'm not seeking a pure gaming card.

I'm fairly sure Navi will be better at it, I mean even if the VII is rebranded enterprise hardware keep in mind the RTX 2080 Ti outperforms very much more expensive Quadro P5000 and P6000 cards on plenty of professional workloads.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Oof that sucks, hopefully the fix that soon with more mature driver too. Maybe a rushed repurposed instinct card to show something new indeed. 

EDIT:
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2019/02/11/amd_releases_bios_for_radeon_vii_uefi_gop

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, fasauceome said:

The creator can't be mistaken, they created it, they decide what goes.

Examples of where you're wrong.

Volkswagon (pronouned Folk's Vagon)

Storm Rifle (The German name for the first proper combat/assault rifle design)

Musket Rifle (referal to a very specific type of muzzle loading rifle, named after the creator)

BMV (pronounced 'Bay Em Vay')

I used to have a list of like 20. But creating it doesn't mean jack shit if everyone decides to not pronounce it your (idiotic) way, assuming they just don't use another name altogether or apply your name to all analogous products.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, it only means that you might not be able to use Secure Boot and that Booting might take a bit longer (like a couple of seconds).

In the end it looks more like a storm in a water bottle, that's not really a big deal for most people.

And also something that can be fixed with a software update.

Also I have to wonder what would have happened if others were affected by such a thing...

PC hardware not supporting PC hardware, and people say "wow, it does not support PC hardware, strange", and you say it's a storm in a teacup. Projecting much? XD

But in seriousness, it's a strange thing, and a rather required thing these days. It's a miss from AMD to drop the ball like this. Not a game changer, but a disappointment. A bit like RTX having no games, then having poor support, then finally getting proper drivers/optimisation. Not the end of the world, but a disappointment NVidia rushed it out, or did not get proper optimisation (like, I dunno, actually doing a screen space RTX filter, instead of trying to raytrace empty space ? ).

Similar, here we have AMD dropping a card, and deciding to patch in UEFI later, because... I guess we will find out later. But rather silly of them.

31 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Volkswagon (pronouned Folk's Vagon) A translation example where VW haven't stated "ITS WRONG"

Storm Rifle (The German name for the first proper combat/assault rifle design) A Literal translation of the german word to english

Musket Rifle (referal to a very specific type of muzzle loading rifle, named after the creator) "musket" is from an evolved word translation over the course of several hundred years

BMV (pronounced 'Bay Em Vay') Again, a translation/language thing

I used to have a list of like 20. But creating it doesn't mean jack shit if everyone decides to not pronounce it your (idiotic) way, assuming they just don't use another name altogether or apply your name to all analogous products.

Replies in bold.

Gif or jiff can't be misconstrued in translation since it's in "english". The creator just hasn't bothered to make an attempt to tell the Oxford Dictionary they are wrong and correct it, since they would if he did.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Musket Rifle (referal to a very specific type of muzzle loading rifle, named after the creator)

Its Volkswagen , and BMW . At least get your facts straight . 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

3 minutes ago, Mr.Dingle said:

Its Volkswagen , and BMW . At least get your facts straight . 

Point.

[Whooooooosh]

You.

Languages differ across the world. Thus "rules" may not stick, creator or not.

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, and?

The point being it shouldn't have to be fixed. This is sloppy, they've clearly rushed this card out. It's barely better than a RTX 2080. I'd have much rather they waited and made a card that's actually good. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Languages differ across the world. Thus "rules" may not stick, creator or not.

Language is irrelevant. At the end of the day, even if you are the creator, if everyone else says it is called X but you call it Y, you're the one who is wrong.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

22 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Replies in bold.

Gif or jiff can't be misconstrued in translation since it's in "english". The creator just hasn't bothered to make an attempt to tell the Oxford Dictionary they are wrong and correct it, since they would if he did.

I doubt they would issue a change. At best an addendum.

Dictionaries aren't meant to be authorities on words but observers. They observe the use and pronounciation of words and over time alter definitions and pronounciations to fit how the word is being used.

Same reason you can have conflicts between two dictionaries on particular words.

It's not an exact science and in a way it's a popularity contest to decide the meaning. Sometimes misuse of a word alters the meaning as well; sometimes even to the complete opposite. Sometimes nonsense words make it in. For example irregardless is in there (and Gboard even just suggested it as an actual word). Enough people have used it wrongly for it to be recognized.

36 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I doubt they would issue a change. At best an addendum.

In that sense you are correct. According to OED, no words are removed from "the" dictionary, just expanded upon. Only time word's are removed are if they are infact circulated out of common usage due to other word's replacing them. Tho i'm sure since there's only "2 ways" people pronounce gif/jiff, i'm sure if requested by the creator of the word, an addendum of "Gif; pronouced "G" - hard g - "iff", as stated by the creator". Could be added or something.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Language is irrelevant. At the end of the day, even if you are the creator, if everyone else says it is called X but you call it Y, you're the one who is wrong.

Point.

[Whoosh]

You.

You literally called them out for not agreeing with you, when they agreed with you. go back and read their comment/your post again.

So, if people wonder, an update to the vBIOS can be delivered. This is nothing new. Back in the early days of UEFI, graphics cards from Nvidia and AMD from board partners, did not support UEFI either. You had to extract the vBIOS, and e-mail it to the support staff, for them to patch it for UEFI support. And when you do this, the graphics card could only boot on UEFI supported system now. No more BIOS support unless it is reflashed with the original vBIOS. Later, manufactures released the vBIOS with UEFI support on their site if you needed, and like before, you had to choose. You could not get a graphics card that supported both like today.

Fun fact:

In those very early days, where you had to extract and send your vBIOS for support of UEFI, many graphics cards could not be flashed due to the use of ROM chip for the vBIOS or lacked space on the chip.

And as for later, where you had to choose and not have both support, that was really because the graphics card vBIOS chip was not big enough for both. Chips were writable and larger, but not large enough for both.

18 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

when they agreed with you.

No, they didn't. They provided bad counter arguments.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

32 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, they didn't. They provided bad counter arguments.

Huh? They said the originals were correct. They were languages that have defined names and pronunciations. Volkswagen for example. However, the rest of the world does not use those names as the "creator" named them. Same with Giff. :P

They were good counter arguments for people wanting to name it Jiff. (Here, Jiff is a thing, it's a cleaning powder/liquid, that had a different name, easy to say in English, but difficult else where, so the company went global and changed the name)

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Just because a group of people decide something is right doesn't suddenly make it right, even if it feels really really right to them.

You could just grow up knowing the wrong pronunciation and never know the original, like calling every tissue Kleenex because you've never heard the word tissue. Doesn't make you any more right.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Aren't those examples of where other people are wrong?

Nope, because again, in the end, what the creator says in terms if pronounciation, and in some cases, the name itself, means fuck all if he's the only one, or one of a minute minority, calling it that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nope, because again, in the end, what the creator says in terms if pronounciation, and in some cases, the name itself, means fuck all if he's the only one, or one of a minute minority, calling it that.

Even fundamentally perception =/= truth. Sky is green because people have lived underground for generations and forgotten? Sure, why not. Except that's wrong. 

Now I know, that's not language, but I do think there are issues with language being so fickle. If other people chose a new name for you, you'd probably be pretty frustrated, you've already got one. It would probably confuse you. Other things like significance are easily lost if definitions just change freely.

There's not a huge vast majority like 99% of people that pronounce gif one way or the other, and the creator of the format gives only one of those pronunciations a pass, so the other is just straight up wrong no matter how many people insist otherwise. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

If other people chose a new name for you, you'd probably be pretty frustrated, you've already got one. It would probably confuse you.

You've described both psuedonyms (nick names) and what Latinos do to names likr Jesus and George, Bostoners and Jearseyians to Mario, etc.

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Other things like significance are easily lost if definitions just change freely.

Definitions don't just change on a whim.

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

There's not a huge vast majority like 99% of people that pronounce gif one way or the other, 

Gif, pronounced gif, is how the majority of people pronounce gif. Because there is already a Jif. It's a fucking peanut butter brand.

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

the creator of the format gives only one of those pronunciations a pass

No one gives a fuck. He's irrelevant in the discussion of what people call things.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.