AMD (doesn't) makes a UEFI - Radeon VII found missing UEFI support

rcmaehl

Source:
Techpowerup

Summary:
Radeon VII has been found to not support UEFI. Which will cause slower booting or even non-booting for prebuilt systems using secure boot.

Quotes/Excerpts:

A massive QA oversight by AMD, people who bought retail Radeon VII graphics cards report that their cards don't support UEFI. Installing the card in their machines causes their motherboard to engage CSM (compatibility support module), a key component of UEFI firmware that's needed to boot the machine with UEFI-unaware hardware. We put the stock video BIOS of our Radeon VII sample in a hex editor, and what we found out startled us. The BIOS completely lacks UEFI support, including a GOP (graphics output protocol) driver. Without UEFI support for the graphics card, Windows 10 cannot engage Secure Boot. UEFI Secure Boot is a requirement for Microsoft Windows 10 Logo certification. We are having doubts whether AMD can really claim "Windows 10 compatible" for Radeon VII. ASRock is the first AMD AIB (add-in board partner) to release a corrective BIOS update. Although designed for its Radeon VII Phantom Gaming graphics card, this BIOS ROM works with any reference-design Radeon VII graphics card. All Radeon VII cards are identical, so flashing the ASRock BIOS onto a Radeon VII from AMD or any other board partner will not cause any issues. It is highly likely that most, if not all, Radeon VII graphics cards shipped so far lack UEFI support. All AIB partners could come up with BIOS updates. Trouble is, updating video BIOS isn't anywhere near as easy as updating motherboard BIOS. One option AMD could try is an encapsulated one-click BIOS updater that can run from within Windows. 

My Thoughts:

I feel this reaffirms the idea that AMD was working hard to rush this card to market. From the issues reviewers reported with Drivers, to this issue, there was certainly a lack of QA. I will hope that they release a executable BIOS update as even when it comes to tech literate folks, not many that I know of have ever updated their V(ideo)BIOS or even know it exists.

Editors note: UEFI is pronounced YOO-FEE by some of the community and a childlish term for a mistake is an OOPSIE. Perhaps the current title is too niche of a pun.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

What year is it? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:
Techpowerup

Summary:
Radeon VII has been found to not support UEFI. Which will cause slower booting or even non-booting for prebuilt systems using secure boot.

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:

I feel this reaffirms the idea that AMD was working hard to rush this card to market. From the issues reviewers reported with Drivers, to this issue, there was certainly a lack of QA. I will hope that they release a executable BIOS update as even when it comes to tech literate folks, not many that I know of have ever updated their V(ideo)BIOS or even know it exists.

I know it exists but yeah I guess I just followed that old adage that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Specially since bios/firmware updates can end up bricking your device. That said I always update my mb bios even if it's been running fine just cause I like the feeling of knowing my pc is running as efficient and secure as possible. Mb is usually much cheaper to replace anyway how be it a bitter hard to swap out. 

Really hope this is addressable with a vbios update as I ordered a Radeon VII and my pc startup time seems slower than it should be as it is.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, this is only a problem with AMD's version and not an issue if I bought one from XFX of Sapphire?

It is likely an issue with all Radeon VII

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Well, good thing I'm not buying one until August when it will probably be sorted out.  I don't buy cards too close to their launch due to shit like this, driver issues, and I like to see how performance pans out over time.

Yeah, I'm honestly thinking of leaving my current card in the system for a month or so before just doing a system wipe and installing it with hopefully newer/better AMD drivers. 

I don't really understand why this matters. It only means that the card acn't be used with secure boot. If you're building your own PC then you probably aren't using it. Most of the time you can't use Linux without disabling secure boot.

Really not a big deal, it's not like you can't use UEFI mode. You can use UEFI fine but not secure boot. I am using UEFI with a Radeon VII myself so I don't see what the fuss is about?

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Oh rip. I wonder why none of the AIBs caught it before launch, you'd expect at least one of them to test the card with Windows 10 before shipping it with their brand on it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Madgemade said:

I don't really understand why this matters. It only means that the card acn't be used with secure boot. If you're building your own PC then you probably aren't using it. Most of the time you can't use Linux without disabling secure boot.

Really not a big deal, it's not like you can't use UEFI mode. You can use UEFI fine but not secure boot. I am using UEFI with a Radeon VII myself so I don't see what the fuss is about?

It's mostly for systems that were already set up that way, and the fact that I'm pretty sure there was support all the way back to the 7xxx series (might have needed bios update) 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

What year is it? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

16 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Summary:
Radeon VII has been found to not support UEFI. Which will cause slower booting or even non-booting for prebuilt systems using secure boot

And what does it do?
What are the disadvantages?!
I don't see much here...

It seems like someone is looking for faults on the side for whatever reason...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

And what does it do?
I don't see much here...

it's something that can easily be fixed with an update but it's such a weird thing to not include support for to the point that I would think it was just literally forgotten. 

muh specs 

All parts black

And what does it do?
I don't see much here...

• Slower boot times
  • Lack of secure boot support
  • Potential non-boot for PCs initially setup for secure boot (e.g. pre-builts)

If you look at my system build in my signature, you can see I'm kinda an AMD fanboy. I can admit with AMD has had an issue.

Just now, rcmaehl said:
  • Slower boot times
  • Lack of secure boot support
  • Potential non-boot for PCs initially setup for secure boot (e.g. pre-builts)
  1. by what amount? A second or two? Does it matter??
  2. wich is used by whom?? Who wants to use it??
  3. And what are the implications? 

I want more infos, what are the real disadvantages.

Not just some silly accusations.

And is it a new thing??

1. by what amount? A second or two? Does it matter??
  2. wich is used by whom?? Who wants to use it??
  3. And what are the implications? 

I want more infos, what are the real disadvantages.

Not just some silly accusations.

And is it a new thing??

1. Boot time probably won't matter for some people. For other people, not having a boot time of exactly 15.31 seconds or whatever would cause them to riot
  2. UEFI is used in 99% of modern systems since at least around 1st gen i-Series CPUs. Secure boot is notably used by enterprise systems and some Prebuilt OEMs such as Dell or HP.
  3. Implications are potentially having to reinstall your OS so you can install a new graphics card if you're using Secure Boot.

23 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:
  1. Boot time probably won't matter for some people. For other people, not having a boot time of exactly 15.31 seconds or whatever would cause them to riot

It is supposed to be ~8sec (from shutdown with Fast Startup feature enabled) from the moment you hit the power button to the desktop (assuming no password on the Windows account).

• Decently fast SSD required
  • SATA controller set to AHCI mode or use NVMe drive
  • Fast Boot enabled
  • No POST delays
  • CSM disable/ UEFI enabled

If it is slower, then your GPU is slowing things down. Try with Intel integrated graphics.

Opinion on this:

I don't think board partners cares, as reviewers don't test boot speeds. So they don't care if the graphic card vBIOS takes 10min to boot or 1sec. You'll just wait to a black screen, and you'll assume that it is the screen when its not.

This is why Intel integrated graphics powered system boot significantly faster than those with Nvidia's and AMD's for custom build systems. No issue or low impact in comparison for OEMs that make their own Nvidia/AMD graphics cards / vBIOS

1. UEFI is used in 99% of modern systems since at least around 1st gen i-Series CPUs. Secure boot is notably used by enterprise systems and some Prebuilt OEMs such as Dell or HP.

Second generation Intel i series (Sandy Bridge). The first gen only had, on select motherboard, this hacked up, hybrid EFI, just to get GPT booting support for systems that have drive/partition greater than 2 TB

57 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Editors note: UEFI is pronounced YOO-FEE and a childlish term for a mistake is an OOPSIE. Perhaps the current title is too niche of a pun.

It is U-E-F-I not yoo-fee thank you. 

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is supposed to be ~8sec (from shutdown with Fast Startup feature enabled) from the moment you hit the power button to the desktop (assuming no password on the Windows account).

• Decently fast SSD required
  • SATAcontroller set to AHCI mode or use NVMe drive
  • Fast Boot enabled
  • No POST delays
  • CSM disable/ UEFI enabled

If it is slower than your GPU is slowing things down. Try with Intel integrated graphics.

Opinion on this:

I don't think board partners cares, as reviewers don't test boot speeds. So they don't care if the graphic card vBIOS takes 10min to boot or 1sec. You'll just wait to a black screen, and you'll assume that it is the screen when its not.

Second generation Intel i series (Sandy Bridge). The first gen only had, on select motherboard, this hacked up, hybrid EFI, just to get GPT booting support for systems that have drive/partition greater than 2 

TIL.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It is U-E-F-I not yoo-fee thank you. 

Next you're gonna tell me it's B-I-O-S, not Bi-ose

5 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I see Intel, Microsoft, and other says:  U-E-F-I.

I see computer magazines says it like a word with various ways of saying it.

I think Intel knows how to pronounce it's own creation.

The pronunciation is open to the creator.

So technically, GeForce GTX 2080 Ty, and not "T.I"

So it's really Vega II: Frontier edition.

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Second generation Intel i series (Sandy Bridge). The first gen only had, on select motherboard, this hacked up, hybrid EFI, just to get GPT booting support for systems that have drive/partition greater than 2 TB

I had to deal with one of those primitive UEFI bios with a laptop that had an i5 2540M. It was for development only and using it voided the laptops warranty...some how. I needed to enable it so that my youngest sibling could transfer from the newer but slower laptop they were using (A8 4555M are terrible).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Does this mean in the motherboard BIOS some options in regards to the Radeon VII are missing too? Or is this relate more to boot options?

48 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Does this mean in the motherboard BIOS some options in regards to the Radeon VII are missing too? Or is this relate more to boot options?

No, it only means that you might not be able to use Secure Boot and that Booting might take a bit longer (like a couple of seconds).

In the end it looks more like a storm in a water bottle, that's not really a big deal for most people.

And also something that can be fixed with a software update.

Also I have to wonder what would have happened if others were affected by such a thing...

52 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I would say yes. On my Z77 there is a fast boot option which doesn't enable/work unless you have a so called UEFI compatible GPU. I think it's called "windows 8 fast boot" or something.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

TIL.

It's U-E-F-I in my book, though neither way is wrong IMO. 

In the same vein "Sue Dew" is how you correctly pronounce sudo, but very few do and no one cares if you don't. A lot of things people pronounce they way that sounds cooler. 

It's by-ose though anyone pronouncing it B-I-O-S should be shot

muh specs 

All parts black

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I feel this reaffirms the idea that AMD was working hard to rush this card to market

Which strikes me as bizarre because this is an adapted version of Vega 20, already on the market for a good while.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad