Apple is being sued because 2FA "takes too long"

DrMacintosh

This lawsuit somehow makes less sense than the one Digital Homicide brought against Jim Sterling.

If anyone hasn't watched his(Jim Sterling's) video on that, I highly recommend it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

So we can sue for anything now?

You've been able to for awhile now.

Whether or not a court will hear your case, or you win it, is still up in the air.

But if this case is heard and the judge lets it bloom, he's either bored and needs some laughs, not technologically inclined, or just not overly bright.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

This wasn't with Tesla.  It might have been an urban legend, tbh.  But, the story goes that some guy confused cruise control with autopilot, went over a guard rail, and then sued over it because he confused the two.  I never really fact checked that, but was told about this.  Some of the stupid lawsuits I've heard about as a kid were actually true, though.  Not sure about this one.  Probably fake tbh.

The autopilot ones lately are true, though.

Only in America can you rob someone and then sue them because you slipped while running away. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I might hate Apple, but I really hope they win this one. I mean, okay yes I'd be upset if 2FA was enabled by default or forced (I'm lazy) but this is just too far.

11 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Only in America can you rob someone and then sue them because you slipped while running away. 

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

America got the most fucked up laws. So you can even sue someone who farts at the bus stop??

You can get 5 million in damage because you almost died due to his/her extremely stinky fart gas??

It's true. It's why in self defense firearms courses you're taught to shoot to kill. You NEVER shoot to disrupt or disable, because even though that person is attacking you, robbing you, whatever, they can (and have) sued. They've won too. Our legal system is in need of some serious updating.

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

This wasn't with Tesla.  It might have been an urban legend, tbh.  But, the story goes that some guy confused cruise control with autopilot, went over a guard rail, and then sued over it because he confused the two.  I never really fact checked that, but was told about this.  Some of the stupid lawsuits I've heard about as a kid were actually true, though.  Not sure about this one.  Probably fake tbh.

I know of a story where when cruise control first came out eons ago, this lady thought the exact same thing. She turned it on, took her seat-belt off and clambered into the back of her van to get something. She got in an accident and died.

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It's why in self defense firearms courses you're taught to shoot to kill. You NEVER shoot to disrupt or disable, because even though that person is attacking you, robbing you, whatever, they can (and have) sued. They've won too. Our legal system is in need of some serious updating.

Family of the attacker can sue too. I believe a man killed 3 intruders with an AR15 last year and one of the fathers of the attackers might have tried to sue him.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Another day, another frivolous lawsuit. Fuck humanity.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Is this the type of 2FA the lawsuit is about? 

2FA.jpg.c9e9239afad81cf5ce901b1fbd46bd44.jpg

I can't imagine it being slow...

4 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Thats interesting, people sue over some of the dumbest things, iirc the autopilot self driving thing has disclaimers and stuff but people still turn it on and assume they can sit back and read a book. And yeah I agree this lawsuit is really pointless though, if a person has to sign into a device so much they should just use a pin or password.

1 hour ago, ZacoAttaco said:

*snip*

Yes, and yeah, it's actually quite fast.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Ha. Ha. Ha. 

I'd like to see him try those 2FA methods where they send you an email after an hour. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Well, is there any easier way to do 2FA?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

A user is suing Apple, claiming that Apple's 2 Factor Authentication system takes too long and is disruptive to users. The plaintiff also claims that Apple's 2 Factor authentication system is abusive because you cannot switch back to a less secure sign in method for 14 days after enabling 2FA on an iCloud account. 

So yes, Jay here is upset that the default option for setting up sign in options for iOS and Mac devices is to use 2FA. Further Jay is upset that it takes so long to verify who he is. 

Yes, harm is being done by ensuring that your account is secure that that people cannot hack your iCloud account and gain access to information that could literally ruin your business or your life. I'm sorry that the ~8 seconds it takes to log in with 2FA prevents that. Perhaps if Apple were not to enable 2FA by default, this guy would be ok with his account being easily hackable? (of course not, he would probably sue!)

You just can't please people. This is a perfect example of someone just looking to make a quick buck at the expense of a business. Its low, its slimy, and anyone who does it defiantly has 0 class. 

The plaintiff is also exaggerating reality (and possibly straight up lying), calming that logging in with 2FA enabled takes up to 5min, when in reality it takes about 5 seconds. 

In reality, after a user has trusted devices enabled on their account, when they attempt to log into a service that uses their Apple ID, their Trusted devices are immediately pinged to allow the log in, and the after the log in is approved the user must enter a 6 digit pin displayed on a trusted device into the device they are trying to log into. The log in is complete once the servers verify the pin matches. This process takes approximately 8 seconds. 

Here is the case behind his money grab:

Hopefully the case gets thrown out and this guy can go get a job. 

Source: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/02/09/apple-being-sued-because-two-factor-authentication-on-an-iphone-or-mac-takes-too-much-time

Jay should join us in the dark side of Microsoft. Where... yea they've disabled BitLocker for anything lower than Professional editions. Really tells you how much they care about security. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

34 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

hot coffee generation ._.

If you're referring to the mcdonalds situation, that was actually a legitimate case. The liquid was far hotter than normal and actually fused flesh in the groin area. There's actually a post on the first page mentioning this (though I think its figures are a bit overblown).

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

11 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Yes, people have been known to sue for frivolous reasons, but i will actually have to reserve judgement, and here's why:

Remember that woman who sued McDonald's for hot coffee? Yes everyone remembers her as a hack who tried to get some free cash for something mundane.

Only here's the problem. After her coffee spill, she suffered 3rd degree burns and actually went into a coma for a few days. She won the lawsuit and got something like 5 million dollars from McDonald's, but they're done so much to make the case look ridiculous to protect their public image.

@DrMacintosh nothing against your reporting but I'm not sure these details are to be trusted quite so soon, there may be more to come to light.

How the F do you go into coma because of a hot coffee?! Holy F shit, people have fallen from a sky strapped into an airplane seat and walked away with minor injuries...

What's next, McDonalds sued because someone gets a brain freeze coma from ice cream because they are not aware the ice cream is COLD ? LMAO. I applaud America where people can take real actions themselves against anti consumer shit, but a lot of them are really ridiculous.

As for Apple's 2FA, it seems to be so seameless I don't even remember when I set it and used it...

11 hours ago, Noctus said:

Google is pretty damn fast. If anything me fumbling around with my phone to unlock it after i forgot what im doing reqs 2FA is what makes it "slow" ?

Apple's 2FA also works on a Mac. so if i have to sign into Icloud on my phone i can get a 2FA code from my Mac.

She/Her

4 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

i think so. i don't know of another one by Apple.

you're right. it's literally unlock phone(or Mac), hit allow and type in code.

She/Her

54 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I don't even remember when I set it and used it...

when you last logged in to iCloud.

i don't know if you had to set it. i never did and it was magically enabled one day. i think Apple enabled it for all acounts when they introduced it, but i'm not sure. i could be wrong there. @DrMacintosh do you know if that's the case?

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

when you last logged in to iCloud.

i don't know if you had to set it. i never did and it was magically enabled one day. i think Apple enabled it for all acounts when they introduced it, but i'm not sure. i could be wrong there. @DrMacintosh do you know if that's the case?

Just few moments ago. It's a 6 digit code and I got it in 2 seconds after inserting login credentials.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Just few moments ago. It's a 6 digit code and I got it in 2 seconds after inserting login credentials.

yup. unlocking my phone takes longer than getting the 2FA code lmao.

and that's only because i'm lazy and don't clean my home button often so it doesn't recognise my fingerprint.

wait a minute, my touchid is unreliable. brb sueing apple.

/jk

She/Her

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

yup. unlocking my phone takes longer than getting the 2FA code lmao.

and that's only because i'm lazy and don't clean my home button often so it doesn't recognise my fingerprint.

wait a minute, my touchid is unreliable. brb sueing apple.

/jk

It actually auto-types the 2fa code in on my Mac and Phone when they are on the same wifi. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

It actually auto-types the 2fa code in on my Mac and Phone when they are on the same wifi. 

for me it doesn't.

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

for me it doesn't.

Only seems to do it for certain websites for the iCloud 2FA. It does it for all the other 2FA that comes in iMessage.

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

If you're referring to the mcdonalds situation, that was actually a legitimate case. The liquid was far hotter than normal and actually fused flesh in the groin area. There's actually a post on the first page mentioning this (though I think its figures are a bit overblown).

It was actually at the normal temperature for that time, back then most coffees were served above 80C, in Australia you can still get coffee served at that temperature, although it's rarer because everyone is scared of being sued. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.