Apple is being sued because 2FA "takes too long"

DrMacintosh

'Murica

please don't sue me

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On 2/11/2019 at 1:02 PM, fasauceome said:

but they're done so much to make the case look ridiculous to protect their public image.

She had had McDonalds coffee multiple times before and knew exactly how hot it was and how flimsy their cups were. She still decided to use her legs to grip the cup while trying to pull the top off. The temperature they held the coffee at was not significantly different from the industry standard among fast food restaurants or chain gas stations and was done explicitly to hold the taste as long as possible for people to enjoy during long commutes or after they made it to work. The case was ridiculous, full stop.

11 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Does j walking count? Like can someone legally run you over on purpose? 

They would be hard pushed to prove it an accident.  Suffice to say J walking is a misdemeanor and can only occur at an intersection where traffic lights are installed.  Ergo, not a criminal activity and can only happen if you walk across against a red light.    However I don't know of a case that has gone to court.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/11/2019 at 7:43 PM, Noctus said:

Google is pretty damn fast. If anything me fumbling around with my phone to unlock it after i forgot what im doing reqs 2FA is what makes it "slow" ?

That's usually it. You type in password, instantly prompted for 2FA code. If you have an iOS or Mac OS device you instantly get a popup saying someone is trying to sign in, you click Deny or Allow. Allow gives you the code!
In some cases if you're on a secure site, and trusted devices it even auto fills the 6 digit code - such as being on iOS 11 and signing into a brand new iOS device. The code is automatically text when you sign in during setup, and auto fills it. ( Assuming your SIM card is in the phone ).

If you don't have Mobile Data or Wifi, you can click "Didn't get a Code?" and send it as text message or Robo call to the phone number registered to your account. ( you can have multiple 'trusted' numbers on the account )

The slowest part there is the popup asking if you want to allow or deny it, before it generates a code . Because that needs the user to actual read and approve or deny the request for a code.

The GPS location on it is brilliant. 

If you're out with friends and suddenly get a popup saying someone in New Zealand is trying to log in, you know the account email/password is compromised and you can click deny to change the password and auto sign out all devices on the account.

The worst thing is if you look at the images/photos they submitted in the court documents; they're not even 2FA prompts. One is a prompt to trust the computer you've connected the phone to, to allow access to the phone contents and files. The other is the enter your phone passcode to install the an iOS update.

Both there to ensure some rando bugger doesn't swipe the phone, plug into a computer and steal all your data; and latter to ensure random people ( mostly kids ), don't accidentally install an iOS update when you don't want to. Everyone hates Windows for randomly install updates and rebooting systems; so the passcode is there to prevent someone from mucking it up.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

...As much as I love when Apple screws up, This guy is just a freaking moron. You can turn it off, even if it takes 14 days. And even the SLOWEST 2FA only takes about a minute to send you a code. This case shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere and if I had my way, people that try to start these completely ridiculous lawsuits would get fined for wasting everyone's time.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

7 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

The case was ridiculous, full stop.

How about you say that to the judge? This conclusion seems to reveal that you're just a sucker that buys into what the companies have put forth to make it seem ridiculous.

She knew how hot it was, you say? I doubt she knew it was a scorching 190 degrees.

This was the industry standard you say? Well guess what, she won the suit, and the industry was forced to change.

I knew a little about the case already then saw this:

And I would have to say, unless you discredit everything in this video you're just a fool. Full stop.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

She had had McDonalds coffee multiple times before and knew exactly how hot it was and how flimsy their cups were. She still decided to use her legs to grip the cup while trying to pull the top off.

Yes, it was a bad idea to do that, but it was a mistake. People make mistakes.

She also admitted that it was her fault for spilling the coffee, so it's not like she was completely putting the blame on McDonalds.

The temperature they held the coffee at was not significantly different from the industry standard among fast food restaurants or chain gas stations and was done explicitly to hold the taste as long as possible for people to enjoy during long commutes or after they made it to work. The case was ridiculous, full stop.

If the serving temperature of your coffee is enough to give someone 3rd degree burns and put them in a coma for nearly a week, it's a bad idea to serve it that hot. That's why the industry standard changed after she won the lawsuit.

Stop defending McDonalds for their mistakes (although to be fair she did make mistakes too). It wasn't a ridiculous case. I bet if you were in the same situation as her, you'd like some compensation too. 

Had to get that off my chest. Let's get back on topic before this thread gets locked..

While I can attest that some companies and apps utilize 2FA in silly ways, constantly having me go grab my phone from another room, or check an e-mail for a code, it's ridiculous to sue over it. If I had the inclination to stop the inconvenience, most services are fairly easy to turn off 2FA.

2 hours ago, divito said:

If I had the inclination to stop the inconvenience, most services are fairly easy to turn off 2FA.

I think that is one of the main reasons the person decided to sue, they claimed it wasn't easy to turn off Apple's 2FA.

Can they change the lawsuit over to whatever company is responsible for the terrible captcha system? I waste thousands of times more resources clicking retarded image boxes then any other form of validation hands down.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Literally anyone will sue for anything, remember the AMD lawsuit over the FX series chips mislabeling their CPU's even though technically there is just 2 cores per module and they share a scheduler

I hope this doesn't go through, 2FA is the way to go, and i've never had it take longer than 30 seconds

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

On 2/13/2019 at 9:49 AM, 1kv said:

That's why the industry standard changed after she won the lawsuit.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:15 AM, fasauceome said:

the industry was forced to change.

The industry didn't change beyond a miniscule warning label.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The industry didn't change beyond a miniscule warning label.

except coffee temperature

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

except coffee tempetrature

No, the industry standard is still 130-185. And McDonalds dropped from 190 to 185, still hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns.

The lawsuit didn't change jack shit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, the industry standard is still 130-185. And McDonalds dropped from 190 to 185, still hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns.

The lawsuit didn't change jack shit.

130 is a hell of a lot safer than 185, the standard before the lawsuit was above 170.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

130 is a hell of a lot safer than 185, the standard before the lawsuit was above 170.

The standard before the lawsuit was 130-185. The standard after was 130-185. The standard did not change.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:08 AM, S w a t s o n said:

Seems about par for the course with a typical Apple user, lmfao

?

She/Her

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

?

It takes a special kind of person to sue apple for their 2fa taking too long. The kind of person that expects everything to "just werk"

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount