Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squid04

DEAD THREAD: Possibly dead GPU. Looking for advice..

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

I have come to terms with my 1060 possibly being dead.

I have checked if my cables are properly placed and the card is a little over 2 years old.

• The card does not turn on.
  • Onboard video works, but does not work if the card is plugged into motherboard.

Could this be a indicator that the cards still is saveable?

The 1060 is being detected by devicemanager, afterburner and the Nvidia website as of now. 

Edited by Squid04

Was it working before hand, or did you just put it into a system? (Did your computer suddenly stop working?)

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

Was it working before hand, or did you just put it into a system? (Did your computer suddenly stop working?)

It was working fine ane it's been in the system for about 2 years. And rarely had bad experiences with it. System boots up fine and works, but the graphics card seems dead.

Did you:

Reset CMOS

Install new gpu drivers (While using Display Driver Uninstaller?)

Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75* RAM: 2 by 8gb G.Skill Flare X 2400 @2666* GPU Strix GTX 1070 @1800-ish

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb; 1tb hdd (It died after 4 years :();

Laptop: (HP Stream 11-y010nr "Spent all my money on my Desktop" Edition)

CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 @160 BILLION hertz RAM: 400 BILLION bytes Samsung DDR3L @160 BILLION hertz 

GPUIntel HIGH DEFINITION Graphics @32 BILLION hertz

Storage: 32 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE emmc C drive with 64 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE microSD card D drive.

*Overclocked around 25% of the time... questionably stable.

1 minute ago, Squid04 said:

It was working fine ane it's been in the system for about 2 years. And rarely had bad experiences with it. System boots up fine and works, but the graphics card seems dead.

Before you pronounce it dead, DDU and reinstall drivers. If that doesn't work, reflash the VBIOS. If that doesn't work, it's probably dead

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX500 1TB, WD 1TB HDD, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Seasonic Evo 620W, Fractal Define Mini C TG

NAS: PowerEdge 2900! Zeon 5050, 2GB RAM, Storage to come, ATI ES1000, Dell 920W psu x 2 (redundancy)

School Laptop: Thinkpad X201T. i7-L620, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel iGPU

Phone: Galaxy Note 8

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), 2011 Macbook pro 15" (Dead as a doornail. No idea.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.)

25 minutes ago, Squid04 said:

I have come to terms with my 1060 possibly being dead.

I have checked if my cables are properly placed and the card is a little over 2 years old.

• The card does not turn on.
  • Onboard video works, but does not work if the card is plugged into motherboard.

Could this be a indicator that the cards still is saveable?

What brand?  Most have 3 year warranties.  

Emma: i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (x2 RAID 0) + Toshiba P300 3TB - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz UW - Mackie CR5BT - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

17 minutes ago, Linker said:

Did you:

Reset CMOS

Install new gpu drivers (While using Display Driver Uninstaller?)

Attempted the CMOS reset and didn't seem to do anything, might've not done it properly. 
Currently trying the DDU instead of removing with devicemanager right now. 

29 minutes ago, Squid04 said:

Attempted the CMOS reset and didn't seem to do anything, might've not done it properly. 
Currently trying the DDU instead of removing with devicemanager right now. 

I've done a proper CMOS reset and it didn't do much.

Currently looking at how to flash vbios as a SenpaiKaplan recomended. 

57 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Try it in a different slot if you have more. Also, try it in a different system.

Thanks for the tip, but sadly cannot do that. Have a good day though. 

There has been a interesting change. I've learned how to force the pc to display from integrated graphics and I can see that device manager shows the gpu as connected, but the fans aren't spinning. 

On 2/11/2019 at 2:49 PM, Squid04 said:

There has been a interesting change. I've learned how to force the pc to display from integrated graphics and I can see that device manager shows the gpu as connected, but the fans aren't spinning. 

Thats normal. As for flashing the vBIOS: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-upgrade-your-gpu-bios.1957251/

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX500 1TB, WD 1TB HDD, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Seasonic Evo 620W, Fractal Define Mini C TG

NAS: PowerEdge 2900! Zeon 5050, 2GB RAM, Storage to come, ATI ES1000, Dell 920W psu x 2 (redundancy)

School Laptop: Thinkpad X201T. i7-L620, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel iGPU

Phone: Galaxy Note 8

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), 2011 Macbook pro 15" (Dead as a doornail. No idea.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.)