Electronic Arts Stocks SOARS After Apex Legends Launch Success

YoloSwag

Not too long ago, I've reported this -

News came out that Apex Legends breaks 10M players and 1M concurrent players in just 72 hours. Reported by PC Gamer here.

For those who don't know, Apex Legends is EA's direct competitor to Epic Game's Fortnite as this is also an F2P Battle Royale type of game.

Check it out -

590409373_EAStocks2.PNG.89f534de932cc122762d7a66407e53df.PNG

Boom. It sees to be higher than what I assume to be the average stock prices for the 30 days month.

1029653556_EAStocks3.PNG.c431d72f6a81fa3ff36fe9b3239507d3.PNG

See more here.

Needless to say it was going to rebound after the nosedive but I didn't think the prices would be this responsive.

Side note: I have played Apex Legends a few hours ago. It seems better than most Battle Royale games. The map looks smaller. But I think they have something going here, you guys should give it a try.

Sadly, I'm only getting low FPS at 1080p - my GTX 750 Ti can't keep up although I do get more than 60FPS with mixed settings in Fortnite

At least EA isn't losing investors like Nvidia.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Dang I thought battle royale was dead. Good job respawn 

Unfortunatly I only see EA using this as an excuse that consumers like Battlefeild 5 or micro transactions in the newest FIFA or Madden or something 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

Unfortunatly I only see EA using this as an excuse that consumers like Battlefeild 5 or micro transactions in the newest FIFA or Madden or something

Exactly my thoughts.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

I honestly hated Battle Royale games, but Apex certainly offers a large amount of fun. I knew well in advance most cosmetics would be locked behind a paywall, but most of the people that I have been playing with in the game openly talk about how much they have bought as if it was an achievement.

So basically this news says: investors are idiots? What else is new?

Investors don't understand anything about the actual games market, and they are just as quick to overvalue something popular as they are to undervalue something that is seen as being unpopular.

EA long term still is not very likely to do well, since they have a lot of mediocre games lately, run everything into the ground with microtransactions, and not a lot of new interesting stuff in the works. Meanwhile they have a ton of interesting old IP's that they don't seem to know what to do with. Anthem looks meh, and they are killing Anthem by releasing it so close to Apex Legends. Apex Legends on the other hand is cool for now, but will likely die down a lot once the hype subsides and people move on to the next shiny new thing.

Did I mention EA executives are all a bunch of idiots? They blame the poor sales of Battlefield V on it not launching with Battle Royale mode? Are you f'in kidding me?? Just make a good game, with enough content, do a good marketing campaign, and VOILA, it is not rocket science.

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

So basically this news says: investors are idiots? What else is new?

A company brings out a product which is known to be popular, a competing version is making stacks of cash, has insane profit margins, has a long operational lifetime and performs excellently after release - investing in that company is not particularly idiotic.

Never liked BR, specially if I have to play on my own, but have to admit, even without friends had a pretty decent time in the 2 hours I've put on it so far

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I always liked Respawn so I'm glad that they're doing well here.

I feel like Apex is helped a lot by how fast you can get in and load into a game. Opposed to PUBGarbage where I always seem to waste 10 minutes loading in and finding a big enough game, Apex has me finding and in a game in less than a minute (Probably helps that it's a """"""""Source"""""""" engine game)

6 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

A company brings out a product which is known to be popular, a competing version is making stacks of cash, has insane profit margins, has a long operational lifetime and performs excellently after release - investing in that company is not particularly idiotic. 

Dude, early last week EA stock was still taking a nose dive on Wednesday, all while Apex legends was already out since Monday, and receiving very positive buzz. So If they were actually not idiots, and actually followed games releases, news and kept their finger on the pulse, they would know what to invest in and when.

Also the fact that BF V was underperforming somehow came as a surprise to these investors, as evidenced by the sudden drop? Talk about uninformed.

So they're idiots. They are buying back the stock they dumped last week at a higher price this week. I aint no investor, but I'm pretty sure "sell low, buy high" is the wrong way to do it.

3 hours ago, ThePD said:

I honestly hated Battle Royale games, but Apex certainly offers a large amount of fun. I knew well in advance most cosmetics would be locked behind a paywall, but most of the people that I have been playing with in the game openly talk about how much they have bought as if it was an achievement.

Im surprised at how many people buy into Apex trash BR hype. Its such a bad game extremely imbalanced terrible weapons, worst BR maps design they make no sense, along with heavy rubber banding bullets dont even hit the target just the "after image".

I cant see how this game is any fun, it doesnt add anything new to BR or even replicate the fun, the abilities of the legends = 0, they are honestly annoying not adding to the game, shooters + abilities dont work out in this game, they tried to replicate something from overwatch i dont know if its more succesfull there, i am not a fan.

Yep this will just encourage more Microtransactions with cash shops, loot boxes in games. Greed has no boundaries. I feel sorry for the kids which are getting exploited which dont no any better. 

3 hours ago, maartendc said:

Did I mention EA executives are all a bunch of idiots? They blame the poor sales of Battlefield V on it not launching with Battle Royale mode? Are you f'in kidding me?? Just make a good game, with enough content, do a good marketing campaign, and VOILA, it is not rocket science.

They didn't just blame it on the lack of a battle royale mode.  They also acknowledged stiff competition, Fortnite being just one of its problems.  And I'd add that BFV didn't ship until November 20th, which meant that most of its rivals arrived weeks earlier.

4 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Dang I thought battle royal was dead. Good job respawn 

I gave Apex Legends a try, it's a decent fun game and I'm not a fan of BR games. Although I agree, and I think EA made Apex Legends free to play just to have an excuse that players like micro transactions and lootboxes.

52 minutes ago, Commodus said:

They didn't just blame it on the lack of a battle royale mode.  They also acknowledged stiff competition, Fortnite being just one of its problems.  And I'd add that BFV didn't ship until November 20th, which meant that most of its rivals arrived weeks earlier.

Not really, most people buying Battlefield games don't care about BR games like Fortnite, and the excuses like not having a BR mode and shipping late came from the EA execs that don't have a clue why Battlefield 5 didn't make their sales expectations. The real reasons are EA pushed an unfinished game which still felt like a beta missing lots of content, with a terrible marketing campaign. And comments I noticed around the news of BF5 being delayed, most people were glad the game was delayed rather than being a rushed buggy mess.

*chuckles* Hey the fact that there's this much respond makes me think, at least at the back of my mind, that they're really happy about EA becoming really fucking predatory about their microtransaction stuff.

But you know me, I'm mostly a dirty commie so I am always rather weary of stock price changes like this.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If this game had flopped, I can only dream about how far their stock could have fallen.

Why are we like this? Why do we continue to buy shit games that don't deserve money?

I'm no commie. I want EA to go out of business for being a shit company that makes shit decisions and puts out absolute garbage with a pretty bow and a premium price tag.

And yet people keep fucking buying this shit.

Addendum: I have zero respect for Battle Royale's. I think they're lazy and I cannot wait for them to finally die off so the next idiotic fad can take over.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My guess is that the stock price are showing small investments from individuals instead of the big investment banks and whatnot that actually matter. Individuals are known to always jump on the hype train and so the stock price doesn't really tell us much. Unless a major investor invest or pull out a significant amount, I highly doubt the rise or fall would mean anything substantial.

Guess I should have followed my own advice and bought EA stocks but laziness kept me from doing that.

Guess EA dies another day.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Probably one of the smarter moves EA has done as of late to curb its falling stock prices. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

First off like most other people on this thread, I do not like battle royale games. I do however love titanfall 2, and guess what, ITS BASICALLY TITANFALL 2 WITHOUT TITANS. So I don't see this game as a bad thing, especially with it drawing attention off of fortnite which is the spawn of the devil.

Also, a quick note, Grammarly (yes I use Grammarly) still doesn't know Fortnite as a word (woohoo!)

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

Stocks go down, Stocks go up, Stocks go down, stock go up.  Stocks go down, Stocks go up, Stocks go down, stock go up. Stocks go down, Stocks go up, Stocks go down, stock go up. Stocks go down, Stocks go up, Stocks go down, stock go up.

Watch, tomorrow (or sometime in the not too distant future) they will go down a gain.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

If this game had flopped, I can only dream about how far their stock could have fallen.

Why are we like this? Why do we continue to buy shit games that don't deserve money?

I'm no commie. I want EA to go out of business for being a shit company that makes shit decisions and puts out absolute garbage with a pretty bow and a premium price tag.

And yet people keep fucking buying this shit.

Addendum: I have zero respect for Battle Royale's. I think they're lazy and I cannot wait for them to finally die off so the next idiotic fad can take over.

well apex legends is free, and it's from Titanfall which is easily the best FPS in the last 5 years but it was a dead on arrival game. I mean it doesn't matter what you think of royale games, they rocked the video game industry and aren't going anywhere

15 hours ago, yian88 said:

Im surprised at how many people buy into Apex trash BR hype. Its such a bad game extremely imbalanced terrible weapons, worst BR maps design they make no sense, along with heavy rubber banding bullets dont even hit the target just the "after image".

I cant see how this game is any fun, it doesnt add anything new to BR or even replicate the fun, the abilities of the legends = 0, they are honestly annoying not adding to the game, shooters + abilities dont work out in this game, they tried to replicate something from overwatch i dont know if its more succesfull there, i am not a fan.

I'm not even a fan of BR in general, yet I've tried all and most are straight up trash. But this game blows others out of the water in every way for free. 

Though I disagree with those statements, weapons work great, they can always adjust numbers anyway. Depends on enemy armor and head multipliers. But it just got released too, some games keep broken shit for years. Also what do you mean worst BR map, it's literally the best one yet, adds verticallity and variety. For game movement feels really good. Servers had issues at times so that's maybe why there was rubber banding. 

Not adding anything new to BR is also bot true, it really adds and improves upon what others failed. It's and fps game not 3. person bs for start. Map is not some plain field. Movement is an actual thing, inventory management is so better. Ping system is amazing. 

Also abilities, was my first concer with the game. Luckily they are there to add flavor and slight edge at times, but are not OP shit like OW at all. You said it your self that you don't know if it's successful there, they're not even comparable. In OW it's more like moba fights in fps form. In Apex everyone still have same HP movement speed and need to know how to aim. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Game is currently at like 25M players with 2M concurrent which is an insane growth with game just entering 2. week. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Stocks go down, Stocks go up, Stocks go down, stock go up.  Stocks go down, Stocks go up, Stocks go down, stock go up. Stocks go down, Stocks go up, Stocks go down, stock go up. Stocks go down, Stocks go up, Stocks go down, stock go up.

Watch, tomorrow (or sometime in the not too distant future) they will go down a gain.  

This is EA. If they monetise this, it will go up again... but then crash when they do the BattleFront/Lootbox error. Then they will milk it and hide a Pay2Win mechanic in there.

So it may do an up up down down. ;)