Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tekjoey

Switching between GPUs for different tasks?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So this weird though came to me as I was watching Linus's review of the Radeon VII, which seemed to be better at productivity than gaming. Would it be possible to have 2 GPUs (one for gaming, one for productivity) and switch between them as your needs change? For example say you got an RTX 2018TI and a Radeon VII. You use the 2080TI and play your favorite AAA games. Then you switch over to the Radeon and animate a Blender project (not necessarily those two GPUs. The point is one's better for gaming, the other productivity)

Would it be as simple as having a different monitor connected to each GPU? Or would you have to do something more along the lines of the "Multi gamer, 1 CPU" series?

I'm not planning on doing anything like this with my own build, this is just a random thought I had and wondered if it was possible. Love to see LTT do something like this though.

I know macOS has this functionality supported. It will "turn off" whichever GPU doesn't have a display plugged in to it.

I've never tried it windows, but maybe? Probably?

Main PC: i5-8600K (6C/6T), MSI Z370M, T-Force Delta II RGB 16GB, Samsung 128GB NVME, Crutial MX500 1TB, WD 1TB HDD, ROG STRIX RX-580 8GB, Seasonic Evo 620W, Fractal Define Mini C TG

NAS: PowerEdge 2900! Zeon 5050, 2GB RAM, Storage to come, ATI ES1000, Dell 920W psu x 2 (redundancy)

School Laptop: Thinkpad X201T. i7-L620, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel iGPU

Phone: Galaxy Note 8

Random devices in various stages of working: Gateway Solo W2000 Laptop (For writing floppies, needs a battery), iBook G3 Clamshell (for a custom build, just a case), iBook G4 (For Sale.), 2011 Macbook pro 15" (Dead as a doornail. No idea.), Surface 3 (Touch screen is borked, perfect otherwise.)