is it safe to use splitter for case fans in one single header?

Go to solution Solved by Tristerin,
5 minutes ago, Uzi1994 said:

you mean to say that you have connected all four fans using splitter on a single header of your motherboard?

You can do 4, or more depending on the total amps being pulled from the header.  TYPICALLY (each mobo can be different) fan headers are rated at .8-1.2 amps.  So 1.0 amps is safe to assume imho.

Most fans in PC cases (almost = but its easier to google to be sure) take up to .25 amps. 

hey guys , i want to run 2 fans on one single motherboard header . Fans amperage combine is (2 x 0.37amp ) . can i go for a splitter or should i stick to psu molex cable running my fans at full speed.

I have ASUS Z370 H gaming motherboard. Is it safe to use a splitter running two fans on one header?

Thanks.

as long as its not like 12 of them or something you should be fine with any decent board.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

as long as its not like 12 of them or something you should be fine with any decent board.

seriously? it is just 2 fans to run.

how much amperage of a single header of motherboard possess?

really the rampup mperage is more the problem once they are running the consumsion usually goes way down also if ou were to connect lets say 12 of them to a single connector it wouldnt immidiatly start going up in flames either youll just see the fans struggling to startup cause they arent getting anough juice

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

really the rampup mperage is more the problem once they are running the consumsion usually goes way down also if ou were to connect lets say 12 of them to a single connector it wouldnt immidiatly start going up in flames either youll just see the fans struggling to startup cause they arent getting anough juice

168680488_Screenshot_2019-02-08E13354_ROG_STRIX_Z370-H_GAMING_UM_WEBpdf.png.dbae9a9442b4a27bd2d8da900eaabf0b.png

Just now, Uzi1994 said:

seriously? it is just 2 fans to run.

how much amperage of a single header of motherboard possess?

doesnt really matter itll give what it has and if youre asking more the fans just wont turn on  i think i had 5 running at one point on my old board. not recommending it but its not gonna explode.

right now my m-itx board only has 1 case fan connector so im using a sata hub so it aonly takes the signal from the board and the power directly from sata. but im also running 9 fans.soo...edge case i guess?

3 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

my mobo manual says that it possess 1 AMP on a header.

Yeah, you'll be fine. I run dual fans on every header on my MSI b450m Mortar without trouble.

I believe it's generally 1 amp for every fan header but, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 minute ago, Uzi1994 said:

my mobo manual says that it possess 1 AMP on a header.

what fans are  you running

Yes you are totally fine with 2 fans

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

You should be fine. Fan draws 0.16 A max current, so for 2 fans 0.32 A max. Your connector can handle up to 1 A

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

Those are  0.16 A, so you could run many many of them, but startup voltage is more important.

So i wouldn't put over 5 of them on a single header

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Those are  0.16 A, so you could run many many of them, but startup voltage is more important.

So i wouldn't put over 5 of them on a single header

4 minutes ago, Rex_G said:

You should be fine. Fan draws 0.16 A max current, so for 2 fans 0.32 A max. Your connector can handle up to 1 A 

index.jpg

Just now, Uzi1994 said:

index.jpg

but it is mentioned as 0.37 amp Safety current? what is safety current? can anyone tell?

3 minutes ago, Uzi1994 said:

but it is mentioned as 0.37 amp Safety current? what is safety current? can anyone tell?

Maybe that is the max current that the fan will draw from any current point, so i think that is the startup voltage, because that is the highest current for a peak moment. But 2 fans is still fine.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, Uzi1994 said:

I'm guessing that's the max safe amperage it can take.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

12 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Yeah, you'll be fine. I run dual fans on every header on my MSI b450m Mortar without trouble.

I believe it's generally 1 amp for every fan header but, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

it is just mentioned only for cpu_fan has 1 amp (12W) but not for other fan headers like for chassis fan header , aio pump header or cpu_opt fan header.

Honestly just connect them and if they spin up youre good. again unless youre running a crazy amount of them its ffine and not worth overthinking like this

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Maybe that is the max current that the fan will draw from any current point, so i think that is the startup voltage, because that is the highest current for a peak moment. But 2 fans is still fine.

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

I'm guessing that's the max safe amperage it can take.

that make sense

3 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

Honestly just connect them and if they spin up youre good. again unless youre running a crazy amount of them its ffine and not worth overthinking like this

Nope , just two only.

I asked just for the confirmation from the experts on this page .

2 minutes ago, Uzi1994 said:

oh on the web link it said 0.16A safety current. Safety current for a motor is the current after which the Motor will start smoking/shut down (if there is a mechanism to cut off the current). You should be fine with two fans on one connector.

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

A 1-2 pwm fan splitter will cause ZERO harm to your motherboard and fans. The more important consideration is that beyond 3/4 fans, any more have a negligible effect on in case air temps. To see any more reduction in hardware temps, you will need to adjust the ambient temp of the air in your room.

5 minutes ago, Rex_G said:

oh on the web link it said 0.16A safety current. Safety current for a motor is the current after which the Motor will start smoking/shut down (if there is a mechanism to cut off the current). You should be fine with two fans on one connector.

index.jpg