Jump to content
Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iBL

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments on planned build

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Good Day Everyone, 

 

So, here's the story, I've recently come to learn I shall be receiving a healthy stack of tax over-payment credits.  I know right?  CREDITS?  And I am not talking a couple hundred here.  So, since my rig is a few generations old, what with its MSI Gaming 5 and i7-4790K and all, I feel it's time to retire her to the streaming rig, and build a new, stronger, better, faster (some of you will get that reference) gaming rig.   Here is the parts picker list I've tossed together, I'd really like some input as I will be overclocking the crap out of this rig, at least to 5GHz for sure.   Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, don't hold back, I'm old, and have really thick skin, at least that's what the ex wives say. (cheeky grin).

 

Component   Selection Price  
CPU   $691.69  
CPU Cooler   $259.99  
Motherboard   $369.00  
Memory   $513.00  
Storage   $771.95  
Video Card   $1869.99  
Case   $158.99  
Power Supply   $249.99  
Monitor   $599.99 ea  
Total:
$6684.57

I am also considering taking a page from Linus'  " FAST 12TB Steam Drive for CHEAP!! "  and adding some HDD's too, but with the 4 TB of 970 Evo's not sure I'll need it. 

And of course some custom CableMod Pro series cables for the PSU.  (129 bucks for cables?  Geebus!)  And if I need more fans (LOL) I just order a three pack of the Thermatake Riing RGB 140's.

Yeah I know, it's a bit heavy on the RGB, but I figure at my age, the extra light will only help me see the keys on my keyboard and you know, make me look cool again. Plus, free money is free money, amiright?

So the questions I have are more Ram related, the part here is a QL14 kit with timings of 14-14-14-34. While I believe this is good enough, especially with overclocking, I was wondering if it were smarter to just go with some 4600MHz ram or is that just like spending money for the sake of spending money?   Back in the day when we had to set dip switches for I/O and IRG's we never really had to think about these things as there just weren't many options.   

 

Also.. on the monitor front, I like these MSI monitors, I've seen them in action and ... pretty darn sweet.  But, are they really what I want?  I was looking to replace my 3 1080p monitors that are not bad for what they are, thanks BenQ for your many years of service.   I searched everywhere for a super ultra wide with a 1440pixel height, but could not really find one, and I really want to upgrade to at very least 144Hz.  Suggestions here would be awesome.

 

In any case, your thoughts and suggestions would be very appreciated.  Oh and I know some of you would suggest a custom open loop cooling solution, but, meh, I'm too old, and too cranky to bother with bending tubes, tho I will say, I did consider it and RGB fittings??  Yes.   lol but no, seriously, I really am too lazy for that, and that's why I choose the GPU I have, it comes with a 240mm AIO.  Thanks again peeps, I look forward to your comments.

 

 

iBL

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, LaptopNerdi7U said:

I can only say
I wish.

I was in your shoes just a week ago.  I feel you brother/sister.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion is spend your tax return on something smarter like stocks. *Turns around and spends tax return on car*


F@H Team Rank: 49                                                              A single, faster GPU is better than two slower ones in SLI

 

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

 

My Truck --- 1998.5 24v Cummins || ECSB || 47RE, Goerend triple disk TC & shift kit || 4" Turbo Back, 22" KMC XD Bombs, Airdog II-4G Lift Pump

 

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Total invested: $360 USD (excluding 1080 Ti)

 

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

My suggestion is spend your tax return on something smarter like stocks. *Turns around and spends tax return on car*

Hrrrm, helpful and thought provoking.  I shall have to meditate on that one, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i mean i would suggest waiting for Zen 2 before spending all you big bucks. 

 

also ramspeed past 3666 is pointless. 3200mhz is really the sweetspot

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i mean i would suggest waiting for Zen 2 before spending all you big bucks. 

 

also ramspeed past 3666 is pointless. 3200mhz is really the sweetspot

Yeah, that too was a thought, but, we're talking half a year plus.  And while I loved the CES presentation, it's AMD.  Look at the Radeon VII reviews, disappointing at best.   I have hopes for their CPU's tho.  We shall see.   As for the ram, yes, that's why I selected the 3200's in the first place, and with the low latency, perhaps even more so the sweet spot.  I could shave a few dollars, and double the ram to 64Gig by going to CL15's...  just not sure if that's worth the performance hit?

Link to post
Share on other sites

gonna be a nice rig. very similar specs to mine and I can tell you for a fact you'll love the performance. only suggestion I really have for you is to shop around for the parts. find the best pricing you can, and make sure you check the retailers return/exchange policies before buying. other than that, just enjoy the process and the beautiful high res high fps gaming.

 

as far as your questions.

I have the same ram kit, and was able to oc it to 4200 mhz, you really don't notice much difference though. I have mine running at 3300 mhz on the stock timings and I don't regret not buying faster ram. it's a good ram kit and overclocks great.


The Beast:

 i9 9900k (5.1Ghz all cores. 74°C max under full load)
2080ti FE
32gb trident z rgb 3200 c14
xi hero mobo
evga 1300 80+ gold
1tb 970 pro
1tb 860 evo
6tb wd red + 32gb optane
view 71 case

Custom loop (cpu & gpu)
420 & 360mm rads, ek water blocks.
asus PG279Q 27in 1440p 144hz ips gsync monitor

K70 LUX k/b, G502 mouse, hyper x cloud revolver s headset.

Laptop: (FOR SALE)

Sager NP8372

i7 7820hk (OC to 4.3Ghz), GTX 1070, 32gb ram, 17.3 in G sync display at 90hz. 500gb 960 evo. less than 1in thick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Falco5150 said:

gonna be a nice rig. very similar specs to mine and I can tell you for a fact you'll love the performance. only suggestion I really have for you is to shop around for the parts. find the best pricing you can, and make sure you check the retailers return/exchange policies before buying. other than that, just enjoy the process and the beautiful high res high fps gaming.

 

as far as your questions.

I have the same ram kit, and was able to oc it to 4200 mhz, you really don't notice much difference though. I have mine running at 3300 mhz on the stock timings and I don't regret not buying faster ram. it's a good ram kit and overclocks great.

SWEET, thanks @Falcon5150,  (Van Halen fan?)  I've been shopping a lot and I've been fortunate to have 2 great retailers here that will not only price match (like Memory Express Does) but they've offered me a nice fat 4 year no questions asked extended warranty for 100 bucks.  And while not a fan of those extended warranties, 4 years for 100 bucks on all parts?  Can't beat that.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, iBL said:

Yeah, that too was a thought, but, we're talking half a year plus.  And while I loved the CES presentation, it's AMD.  Look at the Radeon VII reviews, disappointing at best.   I have hopes for their CPU's tho.  We shall see.   As for the ram, yes, that's why I selected the 3200's in the first place, and with the low latency, perhaps even more so the sweet spot.  I could shave a few dollars, and double the ram to 64Gig by going to CL15's...  just not sure if that's worth the performance hit?

RTG and Ryzen division is seperate and AMD honestly had nothing to work  with when it came to high end GPUs. 

 

 

id highly suggest waiting. for Zen 2. your CPU is still very good and 9900k most likely wont be the highest end for long

 

edit: 64 gigs of ram aint worth it unless doing very specific work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×