Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LaptopNerdi7U

Locked BIOS need help

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have an Acer Aspire 5 515-51G
I bought it and after repasting I tried to enter BIOS.
Try to figure out how that turned out.
Half an year later I still can't access my BIOS.
Tried BIOSPW.ORG, can't even get the laptop name right

MOBO: KBL CHARMANDER-KL
Bios InsydeCorp (no info on the internet about BIOS passwords)

v1.21

Thank you!

Have you tried clearing the bios by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes?

6 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Have you tried clearing the bios by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes?

This mobo doesn't sport a CMOS battery but the laptop has a hole in the bottom for a BIOS reset.
No it doesn't help I think its an EEPROM chip.

Since it is a laptop, I would try something like this.  First, unplug the machine from the power supply.  Don't want any power supply cables connected.  Second, remove the battery from the laptop.  If it is like the Acer laptop that I have, the battery is removable from the bottom of the machine.  Next, press and hold the power switch to turn it on for a couple of minutes and then release the button.   Do this several times.  On - off, on - off.  Several times should do the trick in making sure that any caps on the mobo are completely discharged.

Now that you have done the above, go ahead and reinsert the battery in the bottom of the machine. and once that is done, go ahead and plug the machine in to the wall.  You should be able to enter the BIOS when you turn on the power, just make sure that you hit the right key or keys to get into the BIOS.  On my laptop, it is the delete key.  Just spam the key and that should get you there in the BIOS.  Give this a shot and drop us a note here in the forum to let me know if it worked.

5 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Since it is a laptop, I would try something like this.  First, unplug the machine from the power supply.  Don't want any power supply cables connected.  Second, remove the battery from the laptop.  If it is like the Acer laptop that I have, the battery is removable from the bottom of the machine.  Next, press and hold the power switch to turn it on for a couple of minutes and then release the button.   Do this several times.  On - off, on - off.  Several times should do the trick in making sure that any caps on the mobo are completely discharged.

Now that you have done the above, go ahead and reinsert the battery in the bottom of the machine. and once that is done, go ahead and plug the machine in to the wall.  You should be able to enter the BIOS when you turn on the power, just make sure that you hit the right key or keys to get into the BIOS.  On my laptop, it is the delete key.  Just spam the key and that should get you there in the BIOS.  Give this a shot and drop us a note here in the forum to let me know if it worked.

Will this work if it is an EEPROM chip?

11 hours ago, LaptopNerdi7U said:

Will this work if it is an EEPROM chip?

I"m thinking it should but I can't guarantee anything.  Just going by my own personal experience with my own laptop.  My laptop is an Acer Aspire 7741G-6426.  Few years back I had to replace the screen, now that was a neat trick for sure.

Your motherboard is a Pokemon?

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz delidded @1.355v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 UV/OC 1677core/1050hbm // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 120GB PNY CS900/480GB PNY CS1311/1TB Hitachi Deskstar // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248QG // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 

Wife's System: Ryzen 5 1600 3.8ghz @1.3v // Wraith Spire // Gigabyte AX-370-Gaming // 16GB T-Force DDR4 2667 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB // Corsair Obsidian 750D // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital Blue // Displays: Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602

Son's System: i3-8350k 4.8ghz @ 1.35v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // ASUS Radeon RX 570 4GB // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i5-4570 // ASUS H81I-Plus // 8GB Corsair DDR3 XMS2 1333 // Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Mini // Cooler Master Elite 130 // Corsair CX600M // 120GB Sandisk SSD/500GB Western Digital Blue // Display: AOC 20" // HP Business Keyboard // HP Business Mouse