4K TV working with freesync (ideally via display port?)

QcDom

Hi, 

I am in the market to repalce my 10year old plasma TV and finally move to a 4K display. I am currently hesitating between LG OLED C8 or newer C9 and Samsung Q9F. I will use the TV for movies and series mostly as well as gaming while connected to my PC. I have an Intel Core i5-8400 and a GTX970 but would probably be looking at upgrading to a GTX1080 or 1080Ti to be able to play in 4K (e.g. Project cars 2). Here is the catch; The Samsung has VRR and the coming LG C9 should as well over HDMI 2.1. However I read that NVIDIA GPUs only support freesync over display port... Is there any way around this? (Either by some software mod, using a display port to HDMI cable, or something else?). If not do you guys know of any equivalent TVs that have display port input? I am now considering a Vega 64 instead but it does not seems to have great performance when compared to the GTX cards especially on titles like project cars 2. Thanks!

afaik Nvidia doesnt do Freesync over HDMI. unshure about adapters (probably no bueno). you either have to aim for a large 4k monitor or AMD card. which in the hiher performance bracket is either vega 64 and Radeon 7. 

Nvidia BFGD:s should be out in 5 years :D 

New tv:s also support 1080p120.