budget-ish PC for friend

mxk

Heyo,

I've been gotten really close with someone I met playing counter strike around 2-3 years ago, and he's been gaming on thinkpad for most of that time. It's not enough for his desires out of a computer right now, and is barely managing counter strike. I'm think I can get $600-$700 by the time they'll be visiting my state so the build as of now is at the budget. He's playing csgo, recording, and editing at 1080p. If Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 and B550 (or whatever successor to B450) is out by the time I'm putting this together, I'll be going with that.

Does anyone know anything about the Steel Legend motherboard? I picked it since it has good IO and looks pretty cool. ASRock says it has a 6 phase power design, and I don't know if that'll be good for some light overclocking or high OCs with a better cooler. I also didn't pick the SSD because it was RGB, I picked it because it's a good SSD IMO.

If anyone has any suggestions or changes to the build that would be greatly appreciated!

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

5 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Heyo,

I've been gotten really close with someone I met playing counter strike around 2-3 years ago, and he's been gaming on thinkpad for most of that time. It's not enough for his desires out of a computer right now, and is barely managing counter strike. I'm think I can get $600-$700 by the time they'll be visiting my state so the build as of now is at the budget. He's playing csgo, recording, and editing at 1080p. If Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 and B550 (or whatever successor to B450) is out by the time I'm putting this together, I'll be going with that.

Does anyone know anything about the Steel Legend motherboard? I picked it since it has good IO and looks pretty cool. ASRock says it has a 6 phase power design, and I don't know if that'll be good for some light overclocking or high OCs with a better cooler. I also didn't pick the SSD because it was RGB, I picked it because it's a good SSD IMO.

If anyone has any suggestions or changes to the build that would be greatly appreciated!

An SSD would be good tbh, helps your computer and other softwares boot faster. Without an SSD you will be annoyed. Good build though. 

Just now, Tevildo said:

An SSD would be good tbh, helps your computer and other softwares boot faster. Without an SSD you will be annoyed.

There is an SSD. It's the T-FORCE DELTA RGB 250 GB

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

There is an SSD. It's the T-FORCE DELTA RGB 250 GB

Oh sorry I thought ti said hdd, didnt read it well. But good build 

Looking good to me. I wouldn't expect the motherboard to overclock well, but that's not the point of it anyway.

RGB SSD though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Looking good to me. I wouldn't expect the motherboard to overclock well, but that's not the point of it anyway.

RGB SSD though.

The SSD isn't for the RGB. I own that SSD as my boot drive and its a good deal for the price. It has a DRAM controller and is cheaper than the MX500 and 860 Evo.

If the motherboard doesn't overclock well, I'll probably switch it out for something cheaper since he knows nothing about PCs.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

The SSD isn't for the RGB. I own that SSD as my boot drive and its a good deal for the price. It has a DRAM controller and is cheaper than the MX500 and 860 Evo.

If the motherboard doesn't overclock well, I'll probably switch it out for something cheaper since he knows nothing about PCs.

I know, RGB SSD though.

It probably will overclock about the same as all B450 boards, but if he doesn't know much about computers I would honestly suggest not overclocking at all. It's not going to be that big of a performance bump and introduces a lot of opportunity for problems.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

personally not a big fan of the powercolor card. i would personally step up. you could do 450 watts, and that board seems to be a double 3+3, not a actual 6+3. 

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

personally not a big fan of the powercolor card. i would personally step up. you could do 450 watts, and that board seems to be a double 3+3, not a actual 6+3. 

I was thinking about getting a different RX 580 or a used 1060 6gb/1070.

I'm definitely changing the motherboard at this point.

Any recommendations for mATX b450? I know MSI makes good B450 boards but the mortar isn't selling anymore.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I was thinking about getting a different RX 580 or a used 1060 6gb/1070.

I'm definitely changing the motherboard at this point.

yeah, 3+3 is fine for most zen chips tho. but it isn't any different from the pro4 as far as i can tell.

as long as you don't get the armor, you're fine

24 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Heyo,

Really crummy pieces,  Seagate blows, wtf is T FORCE never heard of them,  RAM is good, video card id good.. Micro ATX might botch your overclock.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

I personally like the XFX RX 580s the most.

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

Really crummy pieces,  Seagate blows, wtf is T FORCE never heard of them,  RAM is good, video card id good.. Micro ATX might botch your overclock.

What's wrong with Seagate? And this is a budget build. You've never heard of T-Force? So what..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

5 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I've never had any issues with Seagate.

T-force is Team Group. I have the SSD and it works great, I don't use the RGB though. It's just an ADATA SU800 Ultimate with RGB, literally.

Overclocking isn't the focus. My friend is a mega PC n00b.

4 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

I personally like the XFX RX 580s the most.

What's wrong with Seagate? And this is a budget build. You've never heard of T-Force? So what..

I changed it to an XFX card on behalf of you and Luke's suggestion.

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, 3+3 is fine for most zen chips tho. but it isn't any different from the pro4 as far as i can tell.

as long as you don't get the armor, you're fine

I'm sticking with the Pro4. It has good IO, even USB C, lol. 

I picked an XFX RX 580.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

I've never had any issues with Seagate.

T-force is Team Group. I have the SSD and it works great, I don't use the RGB though. It's just an ADATA SU800 Ultimate with RGB, literally.

Overclocking isn't the focus. My friend is a mega PC n00b.

I changed it to an XFX card on behalf of you and Luke's suggestion.

I picked an XFX RX 580.

If it works well then go for it, sorry I just hadn't heard of these companies.  But if you have good experience and are happy, by all means go for it, and pay a lesser price then the big players.  :)

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

6 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

If it works well then go for it, sorry I just hadn't heard of these companies.  But if you have good experience and are happy, by all means go for it, and pay a lesser price then the big players.  :)

I want to know what's wrong with Seagate? 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Just now, ChewToy! said:

I want to know what's wrong with Seagate? 

Seagate drives used to be really good.  Their SCSI line 20 years ago was exceptional 10GB hard drive lol.  Now if you heard of Maxtor;  they sell crummy externals with no power off switch same as seagate.  See Seagate and Maxtor jumped into bed with each other.  So once Seagate teamed up with Maxtor things wen't down hill.  THeir externals have no power button and are cheap and their internal hard drives are ok I guess, but I rather get a Samsung or old school externals with Seagate drivers befor ethe maxtor and seagate merger.

10 minutes ago, mxk. said:

yeah... no problem with that.

11 minutes ago, mxk. said:

an XFX RX 580

gts or xxx?

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Seagate drives used to be really good.  Their SCSI line 20 years ago was exceptional 10GB hard drive lol.  Now if you heard of Maxtor;  they sell crummy externals with no power off switch same as seagate.  See Seagate and Maxtor jumped into bed with each other.  So once Seagate teamed up with Maxtor things wen't down hill.  THeir externals have no power button and are cheap and their internal hard drives are ok I guess, but I rather get a Samsung or old school externals with Seagate drivers befor ethe maxtor and seagate merger.

fyi, the samsung harddrive division is seagate now...

lacie too btw

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah... no problem with that.

gts or xxx?

xxx I think

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

7 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

my moms maxtor 500gb has an off switch

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

10 minutes ago, mxk. said:

xxx I think

okay... that's fine. both are good

i was just curious

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

okay... that's fine. both are good

i was just curious

okie dokie

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

fyi, the samsung harddrive division is seagate now...

lacie too btw

Yes LaCie uses Seagate drives.  They are solid drivers.  It is just that Segate externals don't have a power switch and if your buying a extertnal that is a no brainer instead of pulling up the cable left and right.  The Seagate drivers are good, But I wouldn't get a Seagate external I rather have LaCie with internal Seagate.  Im just saying Seagate externals are not well built and no off button all plastic,, sighs

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes LaCie uses Seagate drives.  They are solid drivers.  It is just that Segate externals don't have a power switch and if your buying a extertnal that is a no brainer instead of pulling up the cable left and right.  The Seagate drivers are good, But I wouldn't get a Seagate external I rather have LaCie with internal Seagate.  Im just saying Seagate externals are not well built and no off button all plastic,, sighs

and they literally ARE part of seagate...