Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Moses

What do I do after I build my PC.

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone! I just got done with my PC. Already installed windows and everything. What do I do from there? I’m new to PC’s so no clue. Do I learn to over clock and get games? 

Current Specs:

i7 8700K

Asus Z370 P motherboard

GTX 1080

16Gbs of Ram at 3000mhz 

corsair 120mm fans

Toshiba 250Gb ssd

Toshiba 2TB hard drive 

CNSP 10x cpu cooler 

Havent gotten my peripherals yet. Ordered my monitor already. Asus PG278Q. Any help and suggestions gladly accepted. 

EB3CE08D-0EA3-4E5A-8D04-7B0A487D8933.jpeg

5135D77C-9C2D-47C4-8254-76CB0B4F2109.jpeg

B20CB305-3D78-49C1-AF59-5805E664AD1D.jpeg

Edited by The Moses

Use it?

If you want to you could use the BIOS to overclock your CPU, here's a good guide on that.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3186812/computers/how-to-overclock-your-pcs-cpu.html

You can also overclock your GPU, but that's become less of a boost thanks to Nvidia's GPU boost 3.0 actually being pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/wiki/gpu/general

16 hours ago, Quinten Verhelst said:

Step 1) Fix that GPU sag

I didn't even notice that, what is going on there. I've never seen sag that bad.

Did you install the thumbscrews while holding the GPU up?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks. I got windows installed a few minutes ago. I’ll definitely  work on the GPU sag. Should be YouTube tutorials for that? 

Welcome to the forum! That looks like a very nice build, very clean installation.

I wouldn't start with overclocking to be honest. What I would do is install MSI Afterburner and set up OSD (On Screen Display) and then I would start playing some games. With the OSD you can keep track of your temperatures, which is always a good thing to do with new hardware so that you can spot possible bad parts soon.

I would only start overclocking when you feel you really need that extra bit of performance, but looking at your specs I don't think you'll be needing it for a while. Just do what you intended to do when you decided to build a PC and enjoy it :).

Spoiler

Xeon E3-1231v3, Fractal Design Arc Midi R2, Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x4GB @1600MHz, MSI z97s SLI Krait EditionSamsung 850 EVO 512GB and a 2TB WD Blue, Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 Gaming, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650, CM Hyper 212 plus

Lenovo L480 (i5-8250U, 16GB RAM)

16 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Use it?

If you want to you could use the BIOS to overclock your CPU, here's a good guide on that.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3186812/computers/how-to-overclock-your-pcs-cpu.html

You can also overclock your GPU, but that's become less of a boost thanks to Nvidia's GPU boost 3.0 actually being pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/wiki/gpu/general

Awesome! I’m looking into both of those. 

16 hours ago, martward said:

Welcome to the forum! That looks like a very nice build, very clean installation.

I wouldn't start with overclocking to be honest. What I would do is install MSI Afterburner and set up OSD (On Screen Display) and then I would start playing some games. With the OSD you can keep track of your temperatures, which is always a good thing to do with new hardware so that you can spot possible bad parts soon.

I would only start overclocking when you feel you really need that extra bit of performance, but looking at your specs I don't think you'll be needing it for a while. Just do what you intended to do when you decided to build a PC and enjoy it :).

Thanks so much for the welcome. Didn’t even know about OSD’s. Such a great piece of input. I’m definitely working on the advice I’ve received so far. 

You did a really nice job for a first build, or just a build in general. It looks pretty clean but you really need to fix that GPU! That thing is really sagging.

Also, if you are new to PCs, don't OC. Just start learning your way around and have fun playing games. See how they run and if you are happy with the performance. I would only start doing any OC when you feel your current hardware is holding you back and feel comfortable enough to start tinkering under the hood a bit more.

After you install Windows, make sure you get all your drivers installed, install anti-virus software before you start messing around online, find a browser you like (I recommend Chrome), and then start installing some game launchers. Steam is the most popular and has the greatest selection of games but I wouldn't discount Origin. They give away free games and some of them are pretty good. They also have some great sales. I Actually got Battlefield 1 with all the DLC for $5 lol. Then again, Steam often has amazing sales on a lot more games. Epic and Blizzard's launcher may be worth installing as well if the games on there interest you.

Are you pulling your GPU down with the PCI-E cables?  Install Steam and get some games, there is a Steam sale right now so they should be cheap.  

PC 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X    GPU: EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 1080

RAM: 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4    SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair CX750M V2   HDD: Seagate Barracuda Compute 3TB 7200RPM

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400STG Red/Black   MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac    

OS: Windows 10 Pro  Keyboard:  Corsair K68  Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro RGB

PC 2:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770    GPU: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB

RAM: 1x8GB Adata 1600MHz DDR3    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

PSU: Corsair VS450     Case: NZXT H440 Red/Black

MOBO: Intel BOXDH77EB Micro ATX H77    OS: Windows 10 Home

Keyboard:  Rii RK100  Mouse:  Rosewill Fusion C40

MAC:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3615QM    GPU: Intel HD4000

RAM: 2x2 GB Crucial 1600 MHz DDR3    HDD: 1TB 5400RPM

PSU: Mac Mini PSU    Case: Mac Mini Case 

MOBO: Mac Mini Motherboard    OS: macOS "Mojave"

Keyboard:  Apple MB110LL/A   Mouse:  Rosewill Fusion C40

Consoles: Wii, SNES, NES, N64, Atari 7800, Commodore VIC-20, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, 2DS, Steam Link, and GBA

16 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

I didn't even notice that, what is going on there. I've never seen sag that bad.

Did you install the thumbscrews while holding the GPU up?

I think I may have missed those. I’m checking now 

15 hours ago, DezGalbie said:

Lol. Good one 

15 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

You did a really nice job for a first build, or just a build in general. It looks pretty clean but you really need to fix that GPU! That thing is really sagging.

Also, if you are new to PCs, don't OC. Just start learning your way around and have fun playing games. See how they run and if you are happy with the performance. I would only start doing any OC when you feel your current hardware is holding you back and feel comfortable enough to start tinkering under the hood a bit more.

After you install Windows, make sure you get all your drivers installed, install anti-virus software before you start messing around online, find a browser you like (I recommend Chrome), and then start installing some game launchers. Steam is the most popular and has the greatest selection of games but I wouldn't discount Origin. They give away free games and some of them are pretty good. They also have some great sales. I Actually got Battlefield 1 with all the DLC for $5 lol. Then again, Steam often has amazing sales on a lot more games. Epic and Blizzard's launcher may be worth installing as well if the games on there interest you.

Wow! I’m a bf1 fanatic! I loved that game. Played that nearly everyday on Xbox. I’m definitely getting it for PC.

Thanks for the advice. I’m checking now and trying to fix the sag. 

1 hour ago, The Moses said:

Wow! I’m a bf1 fanatic! I loved that game. Played that nearly everyday on Xbox. I’m definitely getting it for PC. 

Was it difficult building your pc? Were you watching a video while you were building it?

NOCTURNAL BLACKOUT || Intel Core i7-8700K || Noctua NH-D15 + NA-HC4 Fully Black Chromaxed || MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR4 2666 C16 Black || EVGA GTX 1060 FTW2+ DT 6Gb || Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA 250Gb + WD 2.5" HDD 1Tb + Seagate Momentus 2.5" HDD 500Gb || Corsair TX650M || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX TG Black + 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000 Intake + 1x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax Exhaust || ASUS VG248QE || Ducky One 2 Mini MX Silent Red || Roccat Tyon Black || Corsair HS50 Carbon

That GPU sag is insane! I'd suggest getting one of these if its an option, they're really nice.

You can get games on Steam, Uplay, Origin, GOG, Nuuvem, Fanatical, all of those places.

Project Diesel 4.0: Motherboard: Biostar Racing X470GT8 CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.8ghz  ▏CPU Cooler: 280mm Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB ▏GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 ▏RAM: 2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB White @2933mhz ▏Chassis: InWin 805  ▏PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower Grand Gold 650W ▏Storage: Intel 760p 256gb NVME M.2 SSD + Inland 480GB SATA SSD + Toshiba X300 4TB HDD ▏OS: Windows 10 Pro 

Peripherals: Mice: Elecom HUGE Trackball wireless, Corsair M65 Pro white (PWM3360) ▏Keyboard: Tesoro Durandal G1N (Cherry Reds)  Monitor: Viewsonic VX2776-smhd ▏AMP: Onkyo Integra A-817XD ▏DAC: Loxjie D10 (Red) ▏Speakers: Polk Audio TSi100 ▏Mike: Superlux E205U Headphones: Koss Pro4AAA Titanium and Creative Aurvana Live! 2 ▏Network hardware: TP-Link Archer C9 v.4 main router (with DD-WRT) + D-Link DIR-868L in AP mode (also with DD-WRT)

A/V setup (the "narrow theater"): TV: Samsung MU6100 55' 4k ▏ Receiver: Denon AVR-X2400H ▏ Speakers: Monitor Audio Bronze 6, Bronze Centre, Bronze FX, AAT Cube Rakt 12' subwoofer  ▏ Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb ▏ Laserdisc/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 (north-american version) Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

14 hours ago, Tevildo said:

Was it difficult building your pc? Were you watching a video while you were building it?

Cable Management was a bit difficult. I watched a lot, I mean a lot of pc building tutorials. Once you’re careful, don’t rush, then it’ll all be good. 

33 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

That GPU sag is insane! I'd suggest getting one of these if its an option, they're really nice.

You can get games on Steam, Uplay, Origin, GOG, Nuuvem, Fanatical, all of those places.

Thanks. I only knew steam and origin as stores. Had no idea there were that much out there. 

2 hours ago, Sylvie said:

What happened to your graphics card, friend? It looks like it might break!

Nice job on the build, have you tested it yet? get yourself some games and have fun after saving your graphics card

Hey. I fixed it yesterday as best as I could. Tightened the screws already. I thought the PCIe cables were bringing it down but turns out it wasn’t.