What do I do after I build my PC.

The Moses

Hey everyone! I just got done with my PC. Already installed windows and everything. What do I do from there? I’m new to PC’s so no clue. Do I learn to over clock and get games? 

Current Specs:

i7 8700K

Asus Z370 P motherboard

GTX 1080

16Gbs of Ram at 3000mhz 

corsair 120mm fans

Toshiba 250Gb ssd

Toshiba 2TB hard drive 

CNSP 10x cpu cooler 

Havent gotten my peripherals yet. Ordered my monitor already. Asus PG278Q. Any help and suggestions gladly accepted. 

EB3CE08D-0EA3-4E5A-8D04-7B0A487D8933.jpeg

5135D77C-9C2D-47C4-8254-76CB0B4F2109.jpeg

B20CB305-3D78-49C1-AF59-5805E664AD1D.jpeg

Edited by The Moses

Step 1) Fix that GPU sag

Step 2) Install windows

Step 3) I personally do not overclock a PC when it's brand new. Just get set up with the software you use and feel free to install games.

Overlclocking is mostly done to get some extra performance out of old hardware

Use it?

If you want to you could use the BIOS to overclock your CPU, here's a good guide on that.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3186812/computers/how-to-overclock-your-pcs-cpu.html

You can also overclock your GPU, but that's become less of a boost thanks to Nvidia's GPU boost 3.0 actually being pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/wiki/gpu/general

16 hours ago, Quinten Verhelst said:

Step 1) Fix that GPU sag

I didn't even notice that, what is going on there. I've never seen sag that bad.

Did you install the thumbscrews while holding the GPU up?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Thanks. I got windows installed a few minutes ago. I’ll definitely  work on the GPU sag. Should be YouTube tutorials for that? 

Welcome to the forum! That looks like a very nice build, very clean installation.

I wouldn't start with overclocking to be honest. What I would do is install MSI Afterburner and set up OSD (On Screen Display) and then I would start playing some games. With the OSD you can keep track of your temperatures, which is always a good thing to do with new hardware so that you can spot possible bad parts soon.

I would only start overclocking when you feel you really need that extra bit of performance, but looking at your specs I don't think you'll be needing it for a while. Just do what you intended to do when you decided to build a PC and enjoy it :).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

16 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Use it?

If you want to you could use the BIOS to overclock your CPU, here's a good guide on that.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3186812/computers/how-to-overclock-your-pcs-cpu.html

You can also overclock your GPU, but that's become less of a boost thanks to Nvidia's GPU boost 3.0 actually being pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/wiki/gpu/general

Awesome! I’m looking into both of those. 

16 hours ago, martward said:

Welcome to the forum! That looks like a very nice build, very clean installation.

I wouldn't start with overclocking to be honest. What I would do is install MSI Afterburner and set up OSD (On Screen Display) and then I would start playing some games. With the OSD you can keep track of your temperatures, which is always a good thing to do with new hardware so that you can spot possible bad parts soon.

I would only start overclocking when you feel you really need that extra bit of performance, but looking at your specs I don't think you'll be needing it for a while. Just do what you intended to do when you decided to build a PC and enjoy it :).

Thanks so much for the welcome. Didn’t even know about OSD’s. Such a great piece of input. I’m definitely working on the advice I’ve received so far. 

You did a really nice job for a first build, or just a build in general. It looks pretty clean but you really need to fix that GPU! That thing is really sagging.

Also, if you are new to PCs, don't OC. Just start learning your way around and have fun playing games. See how they run and if you are happy with the performance. I would only start doing any OC when you feel your current hardware is holding you back and feel comfortable enough to start tinkering under the hood a bit more.

After you install Windows, make sure you get all your drivers installed, install anti-virus software before you start messing around online, find a browser you like (I recommend Chrome), and then start installing some game launchers. Steam is the most popular and has the greatest selection of games but I wouldn't discount Origin. They give away free games and some of them are pretty good. They also have some great sales. I Actually got Battlefield 1 with all the DLC for $5 lol. Then again, Steam often has amazing sales on a lot more games. Epic and Blizzard's launcher may be worth installing as well if the games on there interest you.

Cable Manage. And yeah, def fix the GPU sag. Other then that, just download discord, and join the LTT disc, and install steam.

3 minutes ago, Finwillwin said:

Are you pulling your GPU down with the PCI-E cables? 

That's what it looks like to me.

16 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

I didn't even notice that, what is going on there. I've never seen sag that bad.

Did you install the thumbscrews while holding the GPU up?

I think I may have missed those. I’m checking now 

15 hours ago, DezGalbie said:

Lol. Good one 

15 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

You did a really nice job for a first build, or just a build in general. It looks pretty clean but you really need to fix that GPU! That thing is really sagging.

Also, if you are new to PCs, don't OC. Just start learning your way around and have fun playing games. See how they run and if you are happy with the performance. I would only start doing any OC when you feel your current hardware is holding you back and feel comfortable enough to start tinkering under the hood a bit more.

After you install Windows, make sure you get all your drivers installed, install anti-virus software before you start messing around online, find a browser you like (I recommend Chrome), and then start installing some game launchers. Steam is the most popular and has the greatest selection of games but I wouldn't discount Origin. They give away free games and some of them are pretty good. They also have some great sales. I Actually got Battlefield 1 with all the DLC for $5 lol. Then again, Steam often has amazing sales on a lot more games. Epic and Blizzard's launcher may be worth installing as well if the games on there interest you.

Wow! I’m a bf1 fanatic! I loved that game. Played that nearly everyday on Xbox. I’m definitely getting it for PC.

Thanks for the advice. I’m checking now and trying to fix the sag. 

1 hour ago, The Moses said:

Wow! I’m a bf1 fanatic! I loved that game. Played that nearly everyday on Xbox. I’m definitely getting it for PC. 

Was it difficult building your pc? Were you watching a video while you were building it?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

That GPU sag is insane! I'd suggest getting one of these if its an option, they're really nice.

You can get games on Steam, Uplay, Origin, GOG, Nuuvem, Fanatical, all of those places.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

This is really good to use to get you started on your needed apps.

https://ninite.com/
It installs all the applications you want to download (e.g. Chrome, Java, etc.) in one installer.

14 hours ago, Tevildo said:

Was it difficult building your pc? Were you watching a video while you were building it?

Cable Management was a bit difficult. I watched a lot, I mean a lot of pc building tutorials. Once you’re careful, don’t rush, then it’ll all be good. 

33 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

That GPU sag is insane! I'd suggest getting one of these if its an option, they're really nice.

You can get games on Steam, Uplay, Origin, GOG, Nuuvem, Fanatical, all of those places.

Thanks. I only knew steam and origin as stores. Had no idea there were that much out there. 

What happened to your graphics card, friend? It looks like it might break!

Nice job on the build, have you tested it yet? get yourself some games and have fun after saving your graphics card

2 hours ago, Sylvie said:

What happened to your graphics card, friend? It looks like it might break!

Nice job on the build, have you tested it yet? get yourself some games and have fun after saving your graphics card

Hey. I fixed it yesterday as best as I could. Tightened the screws already. I thought the PCIe cables were bringing it down but turns out it wasn’t.