Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KENBAL420

Will it work?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I bought a 2nd hand Psu and Gpu for the time being while I'm waiting to upgrade to brand new components.

Evga Gtx 760SC

Thermaltake XT 675watt

 

The person i bought it from didn't have the modular cables for the Psu and he doesn't have the 6+2 pin that came with the Gpu luckily i had some adapters i used in the past with my previous Gpu. I attached pictures and i just want to know if it will work or not?  I have one 6+2 to 6 pin amd one 6 pin to two Molex connectors

IMG_20190210_191411.jpg

IMG_20190210_191456.jpg

IMG_20190210_191427.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

It should work fine. I wouldn't try to run a high end card off of those adapters, but for a 760 it won't matter.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

 

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Link to post
Share on other sites

that's unsafe, not enough 12v wires supplying this power (and adapters usually have wires that are way too thin). Also I have a sneaking suspicion that the PSU is crap itself.


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4745MHz 1.408V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.2MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2200MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm buying a new Psu at the end of the month, the Antec EAG750 80+ Gold and three months after that I'm buying the Asus Rog Strix 1060 6GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

that's unsafe, not enough 12v wires supplying this power (and adapters usually have wires that are way too thin). Also I have a sneaking suspicion that the PSU is crap itself.

The Psu works fine and i know the Cables are to Thin that's why i Replaced them with Thicker wires. I'm only going to use it for Guild Wars 2 and Dying Light

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had to use those adapters in the past on one of my older rigs. It had a BFG 1000W PSU that only had 6 pin PCI-E connectors. I ended up having to use 1 2x 6 pin to 8 pin and another one that took 2x 4 pin molex to a 6pin pci-e connector.

 

The PSU isn't the greatest, but it still holds its own and it was just a matter of cards back then not needing more than that so an "SLI" ready psu only had 2 pci-e connections.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I've had to use those adapters in the past on one of my older rigs. It had a BFG 1000W PSU that only had 6 pin PCI-E connectors. I ended up having to use 1 2x 6 pin to 8 pin and another one that took 2x 4 pin molex to a 6pin pci-e connector.

 

The PSU isn't the greatest, but it still holds its own and it was just a matter of cards back then not needing more than that so an "SLI" ready psu only had 2 pci-e connections.

What did you use the PC for? Was the system stable on full load? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KENBAL420 said:

The Psu works fine and i know the Cables are to Thin that's why i Replaced them with Thicker wires. I'm only going to use it for Guild Wars 2 and Dying Light

I'm not talking about cables the PSU had from the factory, but those on the adaptors. Also this doesnt solve the lacking wire count, an PCIe connector (both 6 and 8pin) has 3 12v wires, but each 4pin molex only has 1 12v wire. That dual molex to PCIe 6pin is a risk.

 

Another problem is that 6pin to 8pin adapter, that seems to be a modular cable for another PSU? The thing is, the arrangement of voltage connections on the PSU side is not universal so you cant use swap modular cables between PSUs.


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4745MHz 1.408V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.2MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2200MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
28 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I'm not talking about cables the PSU had from the factory, but those on the adaptors. Also this doesnt solve the lacking wire count, an PCIe connector (both 6 and 8pin) has 3 12v wires, but each 4pin molex only has 1 12v wire. That dual molex to PCIe 6pin is a risk.

 

Another problem is that 6pin to 8pin adapter, that seems to be a modular cable for another PSU? The thing is, the arrangement of voltage connections on the PSU side is not universal so you cant use swap modular cables between PSUs.

So you reckon i should wait and buy a new PSU? I was going to wait anyways but i just wanted some confirmation and you delivered it thanks. I'll play it safe and wait until i can buy a new PSU, how's the Antec EAG750 80+ Gold for intensive gaming and overclocking? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KENBAL420 said:

So you reckon i should wait and buy a new PSU? I was going to wait anyways but i just wanted some confirmation and you delivered it thanks. I'll play it safe and wait until i can buy a new PSU, how's the Antec EAG750 80+ Gold for intensive gaming and overclocking? 

Yes

 

EAG750 = Earthwatts Gold 750w? It's good as long as your CPU isnt a 500w or higher monster.

 

3 hours ago, KENBAL420 said:

three months after that I'm buying the Asus Rog Strix 1060 6GB

By that time the 1060 6gb as a whole could be a bad buy, we'll see


"What's under the heatsink?" ep1, "Why it's not as good as it seem?" AMD fanboy edition out, episode 2 "Why my gaming board is a scam?" Intel fanboy edition coming soon (this is a link)

Hardware specs below

CPU: i7-2600K 4745MHz 1.408V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.2MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2200MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KENBAL420 said:

What did you use the PC for? Was the system stable on full load? 

It is one of the machines in my lab that nephews play on. I want to say it has a 780 or 780ti. Tbh I have a good few gaming machines in the lab... so remembering what is in what is daunting lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×