Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Techpenguin101

How many case fans do you need for a Full/Mid tower case?

depends on how good you want it to be and how much heat your hardware produces

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm considering air cooling my CPU and want to build in a full/mid tower case.

How many case fans do you need for good airflow in a full/mid tower case?

OH YEAH YEAH

Running on a 300-400$ laptop 

------ 

(Stuff that I have is below, the "new pc" stuff are things that I don't have)

-----------------------

Peripherals

----------------

Keyboard: Corsair - K70 Low Profile

Mouse: SteelSeries - Rival 650

Headset: Turtle Beach - Atlas Three

---------------------------------------------------

NEW PC

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k 
COOLER: Noctua NH-D15
MOBO: ASRock - Z390 - Taichi
RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB - 3000 (16gb if money's low)

STORAGE: Samsung - 860 EVO - 1TB

VIDEO CARD: RTX 2080

CASE: NZXT - H700 (White)

PSU: NVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 

MONITORS: MSI - Optix MAG24C x2 

Posted · Best Answer

depends on how good you want it to be and how much heat your hardware produces

Studying abroad, ditched the crappy laptop for a do-all laptop double. Dried factory CPU paste, long memory timings, cooler cools the inductors but not the mosfets and an inch of unused internal space on both left and right

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV system agent undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (1696MHz 0.812V ~ 1860MHz 0.95V) RAM: 12GB DDR4-2666 19-19-19-43 2T Storage: 128GB Toshiba NVMe SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) Monitor: 1080p 120Hz IPS G-sync

The best thing to do is reading the clock speed that doesnt end in a pair of zeros. Software voltage readings are wrong if your motherboard's not a high end model

CPU: i7-2600K 4493MHz (multiplier: 43x) 1.35V (software) --> 1.4V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 104.5MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 10-11-11-30 2T 2133MHz, custom: 10-11-10-30 1T 2229MHz) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (OC'd 150Hz) TN Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Results: Cinebench R15 Single thread:159 Multi-thread: 770 (thx Meltdown Spectre patch) Super Pi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.11s 1M: 8.4s 32M: 7m 45.9s

That mostly depends on the case itself.  Some cases allow the air to flow freely, others are very restrictive.  The more restricted your airflow is, the more (and more pressure-optimized) fans you need

The hardware inside is the second factor.  An overclocked 18-core with dual GPUs is going to generate a lot more heat than a quad core with integrated graphics, so it'll need more fans to move enough air.

it depends on your definition of "good airflow". If you want a system that leaves no dust inside, I would try for around 5-6 case fans, three on the front pointing inwards, and two on the back facing outwards. If you just want straight cooling of a light build, maybe 3 or 4 should be good, possibly less. For anything high-end, I would probably just fill up the available fan slots on your case, but it depends on your system specs and what you're doing with it and your intentions with airflow.

24 minutes ago, Techpenguin101 said:

While I agree with @Jurrunio , normally 2 Intake and 1 Exhaust will cover you just fine. Though some cases are designed well for Negative Pressure. (Especially ones with good bottom intake.)

2 intakes, one rear exhaust are the bare minimum according to the LTT video made some time ago. Or two stronger intakes and 2 weaker exhaust.

33 minutes ago, Techpenguin101 said:

Put the largest fans you can get, and fill every spot a fan can go. Done.