Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Choy

Office Server for Accounting database software

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys!!, this is my first time posting on the LTT forum and i have a very important concern regarding the server we are using for our office.

I built a server pc using these parts:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400g

Mobo: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS

RAM: 16GB 2400Mhz Kingston Ram

PSU: 400 watt Rave 80 PLUS Certified power supply

HDD: SEAGATE Barracuda x2: one is used for the database server for our accounting software and the other is a file server for the office.

Please tell me what i am doing wrong in this setup and my main question is, will my parts be able to handle not being turned off? and only to be turned off every 3 months for cleanup.

Thank you!!

Hello,

I think it kind of depends on the size of the office. Therefore would be nice to know the amount of clients using the server and what tasks are running on it.

Additionally, I would suggest you to buy a second hard drive for any hard drive, where important data is stored on. Then put them into RAID1 and please dont forget about remote backups, due to the risk of fire still killing any data or other such events.

Best Regards,
Lucien

22 hours ago, Choy said:

Please tell me what i am doing wrong in this setup

As you wish:

PSU: 400 watt Rave 80 PLUS Certified power supply

HDD: SEAGATE Barracuda x2: one is used for the database server for our accounting software and the other is a file server for the office.

Use a high quality PSU for a machine that's this important, don't skimp on it. Get a name brand gold rated PSU if possible, like the Corsair RMx, Seasonic Focus Gold and Cooler master V series.

The drive config is somewhat dangerous as there's no redundancy at all. I hope you have a good means to backup all data regularly and safely.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro

On 2/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, lucienn3 said:

Hello,

I think it kind of depends on the size of the office. Therefore would be nice to know the amount of clients using the server and what tasks are running on it.

Additionally, I would suggest you to buy a second hard drive for any hard drive, where important data is stored on. Then put them into RAID1 and please dont forget about remote backups, due to the risk of fire still killing any data or other such events.

Best Regards,
Lucien

we have around 17 people connecting to the server pc. i already installed windows server 2016. and it really solved a lot of connection problems we had before. thank you so much for the response! I'm actually planning to put the database hard drive on a raid 1 config.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:28 PM, NelizMastr said:

As you wish:

Use a high quality PSU for a machine that's this important, don't skimp on it. Get a name brand gold rated PSU if possible, like the Corsair RMx, Seasonic Focus Gold and Cooler master V series.

The drive config is somewhat dangerous as there's no redundancy at all. I hope you have a good means to backup all data regularly and safely.

Thank you so much for the response! I'm actually planning to put the database hard drive on a raid 1 config in the future. And as for the PSU, i will really take that into consideration.There is an automatic back up setting happening during off hours like during midnight and i keep having regular offsite backups everyday via an external hard drive and save it on my home PC whenever i get home. Thank you again for the reponse! but do you think my parts will be able to survive being always turned on 24/7? that's what scares me. It has a dedicated UPS by the way. thank you!

On 2/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, lucienn3 said:

Hello,

Best Regards,
Lucien

Thank you again for the reponse! but do you think my parts will be able to survive being always turned on 24/7? that's what scares me. It has a dedicated UPS by the way. thank you!

1 hour ago, Choy said:

but do you think my parts will be able to survive being always turned on 24/7? that's what scares me. It has a dedicated UPS by the way. thank you!

What makes you think the PC cant be on 24/7?

Its perfectly fine....

As others pointed out though your points of failure are the PSU and the HDD's.

Restoring data from backups should generally be your last contingency...you should always try to protect important data at the operating level...so best for a RAID1 especially for the database. 

Spoiler

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6ghz | EVGA Z77 FTW | 2 x EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3, Corsair SP120's | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | OCZ ZX 1250w | Samsung 28" 4K Display | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

Spoiler

Corsair 400R, IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF, Seasonic X-Series 650w PSU, 2 x Xeon E5540's, 24GB DDR3-ECC, Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i, RES2SV240 SAS Expander, Samsung 840Evo 120GB, 2 x 8TB Seagate Archives, 12 x 3TB WD Red

3 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

What makes you think the PC cant be on 24/7?

Its perfectly fine....

As others pointed out though your points of failure are the PSU and the HDD's.

Restoring data from backups should generally be your last contingency...you should always try to protect important data at the operating level...so best for a RAID1 especially for the database. 

Thank you so much! will definitely put doing a raid 1 config on the top of my list. then upgrading the PSU. Thanks for the advice my man.

10 hours ago, Jarsky said:

.so best for a RAID1 especially for the database. 

RAID1 would be the minimum level and only in case of a 2 drive config, yes. If safety is key, RAID6 is hard to beat. For a good mix of performance and reliability, RAID10. But they all require 4 drives minimum, obviously :)

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro