Cooling a laptop using gel ice packs?

Go to solution Solved by schwellmo92,
5 minutes ago, NikoBellic1243 said:

Thanks for the reply.

As for you comment, that's what everyone keeps telling me.

I curious  as to how long will my laptop run if It hovers around those temps for 3 to 4 hours per day?

A very long time, my laptop is still running after 3 years and it gets up to 90c. Laptops run very hot that's just how it is, unless you get a very high-end gaming one.

Hey guys,

I am having a lot of trouble with managing heat in my HP pavilion laptop. I mean, the thermals only go up while I am gaming and programming, but they do up and they go up fast, forcing me to stop whatever I am doing in the moment. I was thinking of using a gel ice pack and covering it up in a poly bag and placing it under my laptop. I know that it sounds like a dumb idea, but I would really appreciate some advice before I do some real damage to my laptop.

Specs:

Intel i7 8th gen 6 cores

Nvidia GeForce Mx 150 4Gb

12 Gb ram

Note: My hard drive stays relatively cool, and my CPU only goes above 80 when I am doing some heavy programming. The biggest problem is with the GPU, even when it's not running at 90% or above, the temps hover around 80.

So, any advice would be appreciated. 

temps around 80 are within safe boundaries

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

A more sustainable solution might be buying a cooling pad rather than just slapping some ice on the bottom of the laptop. If it has a plastic bottom that probably won't even help very much.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing while programming that makes it "heavy"? Are you running 65 different text editors at once or something?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, fasauceome said:

temps around 80 are within safe boundaries

Thanks for reply.

But, I was more concerned with running my laptop on these temps for long periods of time. 

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

A more sustainable solution might be buying a cooling pad rather than just slapping some ice on the bottom of the laptop. If it has a plastic bottom that probably won't even help very much.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing while programming that makes it "heavy"? Are you running 65 different text editors at once or something?

Thanks for the reply. 

I thought about investing in one, but after reading a bunch of reviews It seems that the temp drops are only around 2 to 5 degrees. As for your question, I usually keep multiple chrome tabs opened up while programming because I get stuck A LOT.

4 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Laptops are made to run that hot it's fine.

Thanks for the reply.

I curious  as to how long will my laptop run if It hovers around those temps for 3 to 4 hours per day?

5 minutes ago, NikoBellic1243 said:

Thanks for the reply.

A very long time, my laptop is still running after 3 years and it gets up to 90c. Laptops run very hot that's just how it is, unless you get a very high-end gaming one.

Just now, schwellmo92 said:

Alright. Hopefully. I'll make it as solved. 

Try to use liquid metal on both cpu and gpu, but no warranty after that.

my brother used a bag of frozen veg to cool his old macbook air. It worked on the all aluminium body

D9869D03-7219-478E-8DDA-4643984BCFC1.thumb.jpeg.574314774809891b51b3363964debbdd.jpg.696a7b413c41cdd01d0ff69a87ee0873.jpg

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop